Anyone has an idea how Monty managed to physics like this?

• I tried to inquire it with Smith Macro support but they couldn't quite figure out how he did it step by step.
    Any of you guys have a rough idea?

• Poser Ambassadors

Which clip? There are several in that hour and a half interview. Be more specific.

He did say that it was rendered in real time - which basically means the animation was exported out from the preview render. He also listed After Effects as one of the other programs he used. So any light, smoke, weapon effects were likely added in post. Weapon animations were done in maya and exported as obj sequences brought into Poser.

• Maybe this part?

Hmm, can't copy time stamp. Anyway, it's at 42:00 or so.
    Bulletphysics incorporated into real-time instance physical effects/animations, with bulletphysics driving the "animation" of some of the rigging for the model's jiggly bits, hair, cloth, etc?

• @morkonan
    They somehow control geometry like the hair by attaching it to props which are affected by physics -- that about sums it up?
    It would be good to know how to create this kind of setup.

Could this be combined with cloth sim?

• Poser Ambassadors

Check the Object Constraints section in the manual - my guess would be it's some kind of object constraint combined with vertex maps.

• Magnets? Or, ghostbone animations?

• Where he was talking about boxes, I think he was using the grouping prop with the bullet physics. I remember something about it in a webinar or some other video. http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-video-tutorials.html Mastering and Advanced sections both have stuff about bullet physics. I don't know if it will help.

• 0_1509826566931_hairy-business.jpg

So where would one start to control this kind of hair a-la-Monty?

• Hmm... maybe bullet physics is not so useless at all...

• Poser Ambassadors

@krios - check out the Bullet section of the Poser manual - read the bits on the various constraints & vertex maps. Maybe try adding primitives as handles & painting maps for different sections of the hair? It will probably take some experimenting ...

• @caisson
    Thank you for the directions Caisson!

• Poser Ambassadors

That's where I'd start at least, but I've barely used Bullet so don't blame me ... ;)

• Let me throw a parallel question...

How exactly is that different to adding extra bones to influence only the hair ends?

It seems to be exactly the same thing, I think.

If you have a "head" part in the hair then the "head" bone controls that part... but if you add "head_end1", "head_end2", etc..., all parented to "head", and then you adjust their zone of influence to include the ends that yuo want to influence, and you don't actually assign any vertexes to that bone...

... then won't head_end1, head_end2, etc... influence the end vertexes exactly in the same way? There are no joints at the ends of the hair, so that will not create any odd splits (that would happen if you tried to do that in the midde of the body)

• @fbs7 said in Anyone has an idea how Monty managed to physics like this?:

How exactly is that different to adding extra bones to influence only the hair ends?

...in that you wouldn't have to animate the hair manually. Let Poser figure it out.

• @krios said in Anyone has an idea how Monty managed to physics like this?:

@fbs7 said in Anyone has an idea how Monty managed to physics like this?:

...in that you wouldn't have to animate the hair manually. Let Poser figure it out.

But bullet physics won't do that... from what I understood from his video, you still have to animate the collision targets in order to move the hair, which is pretty much the same thing as animating a bone?

• @fbs7 said in Anyone has an idea how Monty managed to physics like this?:

But bullet physics won't do that... from what I understood from his video, you still have to animate the collision targets in order to move the hair, which is pretty much the same thing as animating a bone?

Doesn't look like it... have a look around 44:00, he's moving her hips and the hair is moving on its own. He even mentions the fact that in season 1 they animated the hair by hand. Whereas in season 2, the hair, and the boobs, are bullet physics.

• Hello all. This is my first ever post here and I need to say at the outset that I'm a novice Poser user but am enjoying the program very much.

I watched the relevant part of the video several times and looked at the Poser manual to try to figure out what's going on.

I may well be wrong but I believe that he has set up a few objects as constraints for the physics simulation of the hair. These cause areas (painted vertices) of the hair mesh to behave during the simulation as though fixed to the objects (and governed by them).

He goes on to move the 'Y transform' dial up and down to show the simulation in real time. Notice how he ticks the 'Live Simulation' box of the Bullet Physics window. From reading the manual this allows a preview of the simulation.

In other words, he is showing a preview of how the simulation would work when the figure is moved up and down after setting up the constraints.

What I find puzzling is how a preview can be done before the simulation has been calculated but the manual seems to say that this is the case - I haven't tried.

Two more things to say:

1 I could very well be totally wrong!

2 The hair would most likely need to be a single mesh. Hair made of 'ribbons' would need to be set up so that all the ribbons are fixed at their roots.

• Poser Ambassadors

Maybe - the prop/primitive is being used in the rig like a body handle tied to Bullet; the vertex map defines the area of the mesh that Bullet affects; so when the rest of the rig is animated the handle also moves & therefore the physics come free.

@grimhilda - welcome & I've cross-posted ;)

The live preview does demonstrate how fast Bullet can be!

• Thanks for the welcome, Caisson.

There's a great deal about Poser that I know nothing about - bone handles, joint morphs ... these are probably the wrong terms ... but I did make a lot of attempts to use Bullet Physics in Carrara where the implementation has fewer features than Poser's. So I'm only guessing.

Also, I should have said that he moves the Y Transform dial of the FIGURE'S HIP up and down (with the Live Simulation box ticked).

• Poser Ambassadors

Sounds like a good guess though. There's still a great deal I know nothing about in Poser, & I've been using it for years ;)