Question for the modelers.

• I am animating the following character:

0_1510753125123_Nightgaunt.jpg

The character had wings I did not really like so I turned them invisible and parented Arki dynamic (cloth room) wings which will look much better when animated. The character loos good from most angles but from the back where the original wings were there can be issues:

0_1510753290014_outline.png

The question I have is how hard would it be to delete the old wings and close that mesh on the characters back?

Will The character have to be completely re uv mapped and will I be able to use the old textures?

As I said I do mostly animating and have not done much more than some minor morphs with both the morph brush and in blender and Carrara. I do know my way around blender a little now but mostly animating. I can move around vertices like I said for morphs but I know nothing of un-wraping and uv's.

Is there a way to fix something like this this way that is not too difficult. I could get away with it the way it is if I watch my camera angles but I also am always interested in learning more if it does not take too long and keep me away from animating..

• Poser Ambassadors

My opinion - once the wings are deleted & holes closed you'd need to redo the UV's in that area. How easy or not it would be to transfer existing textures would depend on the existing UV's & textures. You'd end up with a new obj so the rigging would need transferred & edited, plus any existing morphs would have to be redone.

The simplest option might be to make a morph that crushes the existing wings right down to stubs. That may not be the easiest either, & will certainly result in major texture distortion in that area, but I would think it would be possible to conceal/mask it with the new wings.

• @david_macrae said in Question for the modelers.:

Is there a way to fix something like this this way that is not too difficult. I could get away with it the way it is if I watch my camera angles but I also am always interested in learning more if it does not take too long and keep me away from animating..

It'll be relatively easy, but I can't really see what area you're talking about very well, so I don't know "exactly" what it is you're trying to correct.

However, a non-geometry solution would be to locate the UV's of the regions you want to get rid of and then just make a transmap (alphamap) for that region to make it invisible. Simple, easy, effective, gets the job done...

Do you really want to "delete the old wings and close that mesh?"

Why? That's not terribly difficult to do, really, but you'll end up with a figure that will use your "slightly new" geometry, but will have to at least be remapped.

Here's what I would suggest for your quickest, easiest, result that uses a "geometry" solution:

Import the grouped figure in its zero'd pose into your favorite 3D app, just like you'd do if you were going to make clothing for it, which, in effect, is exactly what you're going to do.

Hide the undesirable group.

Now, lock the figure's geometry in place like that, with the group hidden, and create a new object, just like it was going to be a clothing item. Except, here, the new object is going to be an "appliance" you conform to the figure in order to hide the hole it'll have in its mesh when that group is hidden in Poser.

Following the edges, with a bit of overlap, recreate the creatures back/wing area. If needed, import the base mesh of your new wings and use that as a reference to create a mesh that appears to be a nice, natural, transition.

Once you're done, take a look at the base figure's UVmap. How is that region mapped? Can you use any of that texture area for your new, conforming, "back-piece-transition" figure? If so, map your new figure group accordingly. If there's nto enough space on the default texture space for the original figure, then don't bother trying to use it. Just map your new figure accordingly, paying careful attention to texture-space resolution, though - You don't want any mismatched resolution issues to deal with. And, since this isn't going to be a terribly large or detailed amount of space, anyway, you can waste a little bit of texture space and nobody in management is going to shoot you in the face for it... :)

Rigging - Use the base figure's original rigging, expand where necessary to include the new bits of mesh. This "appliance" will be conformed to the base figure, after which you'll just treat it as a "two figure figure."

End-run results: No muss, no fuss, customized and tailored "best solution" that doesn't destroy or alter the base figure, allowing you to still use all content you have for it and without presenting any other conforming product issues. Though, you may need to customize other conforming items, similarly.

PS - As long as the mesh density is relatively the same between the base figure and the conforming "appliance", you should get decent results with using Poser Pro's basic morph transfer functions. You may need to edit these to make it a true quality finished product. Just edit them as they are in the new appliance and use it as a superconforming figure. It's also best to include every bone down to the figure's focus bone (usually the hip) in order to get a nice, tight, fit for scaling and movement issues. It will also help to lock the appliance down when improperly formed "Poses" are used, to prevent weird conforming item "jumps." Other than that, just save the entire figure and it's hidden group you don't want with the new, conformed, appliance figure as a new character and you're golden. (Remember to also hide all the other group interactions, like casts shadows, etc. Bending, however, you should keep on, just in case the original rig has some effects there, since you want the new appliance to superconform to those as well.

/sigh PPS: ;)

You could get away with a simple appliance "prop" if you don't want to rig a conforming appliance. I can't really tell since I'm not familiar with the figure(s).

• Thanks all. For now I have scaled the wings to 0. That left nubs that I could use the morph brush to adjust and the rest is indeed hidden by the new wings. I just have to be careful to deselect when running simulations just to insure there is no interference with the cloth wings.

I wanted to try removing the bones in the setup room just so they don't show up in the animation graph so i don't have 2 sets of wings. It is just a clean up thing so my editors have less stuff, but for now I just renamed the external names to "Don't touch l and r"

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.