Question about multi monitors

• Hi guys
    I'm about to order a new pc, Windows 10, gtx 1080 graphics card.
    My question is can you run two monitors with different resolutions with the single card, and is Poser happy running this way?

• Yes and yes

• I'm doing that with Windows 7 and a GTX 970... 2 monitors at 1920 x 1080 and one 1440 x 900 set to portrait (so I can actually see the extended details panel of the library).

• Thanks for info guys

• @j.naylor73 though it doesn't relate to your situation, I'll share my macOS multiple monitor observations for anyone else out there who might find it relevant.

Recent macOS releases (probably from Yosemite onwards, if not before) have had issues with Spaces (switchable application viewports) in multiple monitor configurations. Poser used to reliably remember which monitor you had dragged undocked palettes to, when switching between rooms in Poser. The latest OS and Poser iterations (and not just Poser, i see the same in BBEdit) now exhibit behaviour where a restart of the application tends to place windows and palettes on the main monitor only, requiring them to be dragged back to the secondary monitors.

Poser's Room UI buttons seem to remember the correct window coordinates when clicked, but often take two clicks to put the window on the correct monitor (I suspect this is because the coordinate origin is at the top, left corner of whatever is designated as the main (menu-bar) monitor and a second monitor placed to the left of the main one will have negative x-coordinates for window positions, so Poser assumes on the first click that this will be invisible and forces the window to be on the main monitor on the first button click, but then lets you do it "if you really want to" on the second click. [Just check the position against the actual viewport boundaries in the first place, guys!]

Whatever workarounds were implemented to overcome initial OS bugs (or the scenario where a laptop connects to an external monitor in one location, but not in another) seem to have remained and now interfere with current OS APIs, I deduce.

• Depending on your monitor connections, you may run into this problem...
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-dual-monitors-turning-off-a-monitor/e0b8bb93-5960-4273-b959-4e3177946f8d?page=7&auth=1
    The link goes to the last page but the entire thread is an informative read. I ran into this with my newest card and monitors when I switched to HDMI. Nothing worked for me until the free utility shown on the last page, 'Persistent Windows'.
    http://www.ninjacrab.com/persistent-windows/

• Poser Ambassadors

It is worthwhile to use a second monitor which you already have, even if it is mismatched, but if anyone is considering buying a second monitor, I recommend matching the vertical pixel dimension. Horizontal pixel dimension mismatch won't be any problem.

If using a second monitor with a different vertical pixel dimension, you'll have dead bands of desktop space at top and bottom, where you might lose shortcuts, etc saved to the desktop.
    0_1511108466189_dual monitors - vertical mismatch.png

As long as the vertical pixel dimension matches, you'll be able to see/use the entire desktop space. Urania has a 2560x1600 primary monitor, and a 1200x1600 secondary (the secondary is one of those monitors which can rotate from landscape to portrait).
    0_1511108628999_dual monitors - vertically equal.png

If Urania's primary monitor were 1920x1200, I would turn the secondary to 1600x1200 (landscape), so that both monitors would be 1200 pixels high.

• @seachnasaigh
    I never found that. When my 1440 x 900 first arrived I didn't have the monitor arm to mount it in portrait so I set it up in landscape (so vertical heights were 1080, 1080 and 900) and I had no bars at top and bottom. Images set as wallpapers fit properly as well, so resolution is properly applied for all 3.

• Poser Ambassadors

@piersyf You won't ~see~ the dead space bars; that's the problem. Your mouse cursor can disappear at top/bottom of the 900-pixel monitor, and title bars of windows (including the close & minimize buttons) can be offscreen.

Move your mouse cursor to the top of one of the 1080 monitors, and keep pushing up. The cursor stops at the top, remaining visible.
    Now move the mouse cursor upward on the 900-pixel monitor, and it goes offscreen beyond the visible top.

If yours doesn't behave like this, let me know, and note what OS you have. The wallpapers can be set to fill, stretch, center, etc, so their behavior is inconclusive.

• @seachnasaigh
    Ah, yes. To my eyes your post implied 'letterboxing'. As to the cursor dead space that is true, I did have that.

• Poser Ambassadors

@piersyf Yeah, I should have specified that what you see is the grey rectangle (regardless of the physical size of the monitors). But Windows sees both the grey and the black dead space.

On that 900-pixel high secondary -or teriary!- monitor, Windows is expanding a 1200-pixel high desktop space. The 900p gets centered, so you have 150 pixels of unviewable desktop space at top and bottom.

As long as this isn't too bothersome, it's still well worthwhile to add another monitor which you might have on hand, but I think it's good to forewarn everybody about this.

• @seachnasaigh This is not true. I'm using a 1920x1080 and a 1440x900 right now having just destroyed my other HD monitor two days ago, and the smaller monitor has boundaries that perfectly match the resolution. Windows 7 Titan X, nvidia Geforce EXperience drivers.

• Not quite what was asked, but I ran into problems with three identical 1600x900 DVI screens run from two identical Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI OC cards under Win'10 (x64) home. Try as I might, Win'10 refused to recognise the third screen, the one hung off the second card, for more than a few seconds...

After much misery, I traced the problem to the bundled GeForce driver. It was optimised for fast gaming, at expense of much else. NVIDIA's own site provided a 'generic' driver, which works very well. Snag is, about once a month, the PC prompts me to update to the latest GeForce gamer version...
    { Grumble, Grumble... }

FWIW, there are 'external graphic cards' available, match-box sized widgets that connect to USB 2 or USB 3. Yes, they take a lot of CPU & RAM resource, but Windows recognises them, offers, 'Extend Desktop ?' I used one to hang a second screen on a 'black box' PC I could not afford to replace and build my bespoke CAD Tower. Now this beast is running, it has the old PC's twin screens plus an identical third. The old PC got a smaller, $5 (!!) display from a charity shop and, without the USB widget to slow it, is a nimble browser.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.