Poser to UNREAL

• Has anyone experimented with exporting Poser animations/characters to the UNREAL game engine?
    Mike Sutton on YouTube is working on a project: Poser's Unreal Portal, that seems to be able to bring in characters and just about anything from Poser, including morphs.

• Uh...

How can one use this Unreal engine thingie? I thought it was something only games used?

• @fbs7
    There was a demo where the animated characters from Maya were brought into the Unreal game environment for video editing. But unlike the traditional & very limited editing methods where the animated footage is being manipulated, in this demo, the animation was being edited in real time; lights camera angles, environmental FX, and even some lite animation adjustments.

In other words, the world of animation and real time game engines are merging seamlessly. Consider Source Filmmaker, and how successful it is for "hard core" animations.

Game engines might lack the refined quality of rendered animations, but if nothing else, it could be used for environments and to eliminate the need to render animations for long-long time.

• Wow, loooook at that... what did I miss staying inside my troglodyte cave!

Let me see if I got it right. Unreal Engine used to be paid and cost a lot. Now it's free (except for a % royalty paid by games made with it) and comes with a player and an editor. Both can be downloaded at

https://www.unrealengine.com

So, besides making a game with it, one can make an animation and render it to a movie (they call that a Matinee or Cinematic), all the while using the same assets available for the game, like skeletal actors, mesh morphs, particles, clothes, physics engine, sprites, etc... Their documentation lists this thing about blending animations (I understand one can define their own blocks to add there):

alt text

which allows one to control their character with WASD keys like this:

That looks awesome!

• @fbs7

@fbs7 said in Poser to UNREAL:

which allows one to control their character with WASD keys like this:

Right!? Can you imagine how easy it would be to animate background characters?

• @fbs7 said in Poser to UNREAL:

Wow, loooook at that... what did I miss staying inside my troglodyte cave!

Let me see if I got it right. Unreal Engine used to be paid and cost a lot. Now it's free (except for a % royalty paid by games made with it) and comes with a player and an editor.

Yes, it's free, now. And, yes, it's all sorts of awesome. The "Big Three", Unreal, Unity, and CryEngine are all competing for the hobbyist/enthusiast/small-dev markets. This is likely in no small way why Poser went "game friendly" a couple of years ago.

Of the three, Unreal likely has the best documentation, user-base, and ease-of-use. Unity has the widest possible cross-platform application. CryEngine is sitting in a dank corner, somewhere, diddling itself...

The realtime animation/rendering these things are capable of is remarkable. Somewhere around here, I posted some representative samples of vids, one for each engine, and they're "movie quality" stuff. Uh, well, at least "movie quality" in that you can produce some pretty darn awesome looking animations, lighting and special effects with them, that's for sure.

Get out more. See the sun, that bright annoying thing that hangs in the sky half the day. Maybe go to a park or something. That's where they keep the animals, I think.

(To be blown away, go check youtube for some really good Unreal game engine movies.)

• @morkonan said in Poser to UNREAL:

@fbs7 said in Poser to UNREAL:

Wow, loooook at that... what did I miss staying inside my troglodyte cave!

Let me see if I got it right. Unreal Engine used to be paid and cost a lot. Now it's free (except for a % royalty paid by games made with it) and comes with a player and an editor.

Yes, it's free, now. And, yes, it's all sorts of awesome. The "Big Three", Unreal, Unity, and CryEngine are all competing for the hobbyist/enthusiast/small-dev markets. This is likely in no small way why Poser went "game friendly" a couple of years ago.

Of the three, Unreal likely has the best documentation, user-base, and ease-of-use. Unity has the widest possible cross-platform application. CryEngine is sitting in a dank corner, somewhere, diddling itself...

The realtime animation/rendering these things are capable of is remarkable. Somewhere around here, I posted some representative samples of vids, one for each engine, and they're "movie quality" stuff. Uh, well, at least "movie quality" in that you can produce some pretty darn awesome looking animations, lighting and special effects with them, that's for sure.

Oh, wow. My idea of game engine is that you had to program the whole thing (that is, they were just an improved DirectX/OpenCL kind of thingie), but the Unreal thingie seems to have a very powerful, self-contained animation editor.

This video was very impressive:

That seems a lot more difficult than Poser in the beginning, but it does seem to have an enormous range of capabilities for more complicated scenes.

Get out more. See the sun, that bright annoying thing that hangs in the sky half the day. Maybe go to a park or something. That's where they keep the animals, I think.

Haha, I went out of the house a few weeks back, it was quite cold. I'm waiting for summer time to try that again :^D

• Here's a recent Unity animation:

The character faces are somewhat stiff, but the cinematography is spot on.

• @krios said in Poser to UNREAL:

Here's a recent Unity animation:

The character faces are somewhat stiff, but the cinematography is spot on.

Wow, what a creepy movie!!!!

• @fbs7 said in Poser to UNREAL:

Wow, what a creepy movie!!!!

Context or technology?

• Oh, the movie is gorgeously crafted, and it's extremely impressive that they did it in real time. A technological marvel, no doubt.

But the story is terrifying. I'm more of the "Little Witch Academy" kind of guy.

• Poser Ambassadors

@krios - given Adam is directed by Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium etc) I should hope that the cinematography is good ;)

It's very interesting as another means of telling visual stories without the far higher expense of film.

@fbs7 - if you're going to use a game engine to make animations you wouldn't necessarily need it to run in realtime; a second per frame would still be pretty fast. The key with game engines is optimisation - models, textures, materials, lighting etc etc.

• @caisson said in Poser to UNREAL:

@krios - given Adam is directed by Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium etc) I should hope that the cinematography is good ;)

Oh, that guy. That's why. I didn't like any of these movies, actually. They are very depressing, in an almost Kafka-esque meaning...

I think that a movie, even if it's short, it should bring one's best side. This clip is from a NHK documentary about a short that Hayao Miyazaki is (or was) doing...

... notice a 10 seconds segment start at 2:46; even small as that it does bring a smile.

• By the way, that movie is Miyazaki's first time using CGI. He hand drew the storyboard and then a small team made the CGI out of the storyboard.

The NHK documentary is rather funny, as he would click something in Maya, then something else and make a mistake, get completely lost with multiple copies of the tool and then comment: "Fascinating"... I can relate :^)

• @fbs7
    Wow, master Miyazaki using a tablet--the old man finally succumbed to technological advancements.

• Any news on this Unreal portal?

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.