I don't get it... why SM's Poser gallery highlights water/fire effects?

• Poser Ambassadors

@fbs7 So anyone reading these forums will know that Poser has zero fire/water/smoke simulations. But a newcomer coming to Poser may be impressed with these wonderful water effects the wrong idea, in the same way that if I had said "Aunt Annie Restaurant" instead of MacDonald then many of us would assume that Aunt's restaurant has all those goodies.

No, new user will be impressed about this amount of negativity to find in anything flaws and hair.
    What you see in the Gallery calls artistic freedom.

• Poser Ambassadors

@fbs7 A lot of things in Poser started out as 3rd party plug-ins before they ever became part of official Poser. Python coders have been creating various things for it for years using scripts. Wardrobe wizard was a 3rd party script before it ever became a standard feature of Poser, for example.

Particles are possible in Poser via python. Various people have made their own particle systems for Poser over the years. Metaballs is one of them - available as far back as Poser 6 or 7. It just stopped working with one of the more recent versions of Poser and its creator never updated it.

So while it's not specifically a feature in Poser, python allows for people to make a lot of things, just like they can make shaders with the material room. So how is that any different?

Here's one example of particles in Poser (which took me all of 10 seconds to find via google):

• Poser Ambassadors

When I take a look over the DAZ Gallery , I see many awesome art. Almost all of them are heavy postworked. But did DAZ and the DS user care about this? No, they just enjoy beautiful art and don't care how it was done.
    But the Poser user they again just bitch around and find even beautiful created art offensive. No wonder people turn away.

• @fbs7
    I think you are missing my point.

In the case of the images on the SM web site, artists used Poser as part of their process to make the images. And SM implied that very thing in the text they added ... that the artists used Poser AND OTHER TOOLS to create their art.

You are comparing that to McDonalds featuring food from other restaurants on their site. But what I am saying is, that is not an apples to apples comparison. Because any photo that is NOT a McDonald's menu item has nothing AT ALL to do with McDonalds, whereas in the SM case, ALL the images passed through Poser in all or part of the creation of the image.

I guess I'm done with this though. I don't really understand the beef you have about this (nod to McDonald's unintentional LOL), and it seems you probably won't understand the point I'm trying to make either. Peace, out!

• Poser Ambassadors

@fbs7 PS - McDonalds actually does sell pizza in some areas of the US. At least they used to. They also sell hotdogs and tacos, and that horrible mcrib thing that people like to call food (spamburger with barbeque sauce). In some countries they even sell sushi and other seafoods. They're just mostly known for hamburgers.

• Poser Ambassadors

@AmbientShade said in I don't get it... why SM's Poser gallery highlights water/fire effects?:

@fbs7 PS - McDonalds actually does sell pizza in some areas of the US. At least they used to. They also sell hotdogs and tacos, and that horrible mcrib thing that people like to call food (spamburger with barbeque sauce). In some countries they even sell sushi and other seafoods. They're just mostly known for hamburgers.

In some countries (France) they even sell beer and wine

• Poser Ambassadors

@wimvdb I've heard they do in NYC and LA too. Us country folk don't get those luxuries tho. Hell I even live in a dry county.

• Poser Ambassadors

To bring it back to Poser.
    In the last 6 years almost all of my images have been rendered in Octane.
    To create that image I spent at least 90% of the time in Poser: Creating the scene, posing the figures, props, expressions. Adapting the textures, materials, pokes throughs, etc.
    The final 10% of the time is spent in the Poser plugin to modify materials and add special effects.
    The render takes a few minutes.

So I perfectly feel fine to say this is a Poser image since I spent 90% of my time composing the image and upload to the Poser Artist gallery if I think the end result is worthwhile to be seen to the general public.

• @AmbientShade said in I don't get it... why SM's Poser gallery highlights water/fire effects?:

Particles are possible in Poser via python. Various people have made their own particle systems for Poser over the years. Metaballs is one of them - available as far back as Poser 6 or 7. It just stopped working with one of the more recent versions of Poser and its creator never updated it.

That's a pretty good argument, because SM did spend a lot of money and time preparing an interface in Python for add-ons, so if someone uses that to add simulation effects in Poser, then SM can very fairly take credit for that.

I suspect that liquid physics should be possible in Poser via Python, because that's really just a mesh (although very varying one), and I suspect particles emitters should be feasible too. It's a pity that's not available.

I have no idea if fire and smoke would be possible via Python, though, as I don't understand their implementation; I suspect they rely heavily in the rendering effects.

• Poser Ambassadors

Every Render is mixed media.

The models are done in a model software, the textures can be done in a texturer and so on.

Poser is like the tool where one can combine, setup and basically be your own director of a scene.