Making a Video Tutorial

• I'm hoping someone can help me out. If I wanted to make a video tutorial of what I'm doing on my computer as seen on my computer screen, and I wanted to add a voice over narrating what I'm doing as I work, what would I need? I'm using a Dell lap top with Windows 7, and being a Mac person, that's the extent of my Windows knowledge.

• Poser Ambassadors

Screen recorder + video editor + microphone for audio (alternatively I have seen good tutorials done with text added to the video instead of speech). I use Icecream Screen Recorder, the built-in Windows Movie Maker on Win10 plus a low-end headset - cheap & cheerful combo but it has worked.

• Lot of things to think about here. Is the tutorial going to be free or something to sell?

The main thing will be audio quality. You will need a good external mic so that you can be heard clearly.
    The second would be a program to capture what your doing onscreen - something like FRAPS, ect.
    The third would be a video editing program so that you can add the voice over either while the video plays, or recorded separately then added in.

There are LOT of video editing software on the market that go from cheap to astronomical, lol. Several I can think of off the top of my head would be Sony Vegas, PowerDirector, Pinnacle Studio Ultimate, ect.

Research each to find what you might need in your price range.

For Mics I can recommend the Snowball, its really good mid range mic that wont break the bank.

Hope this helps!

• Poser Ambassadors

I swear by Techsmith's stuff (SnagIt for screen captures, and Camtasia for more extensive video tutorials with captions, callouts, etc). More stuff I've been using for years.

Camtasia is made precisely for video tutorials. It's on sale for 25% off until midnight if you have the money!

OH! And another vote for the Blue Snowball mic.

Here's some how to tips

• Poser Ambassadors

I use screencast-o-matic. It's free for limited use (10 min per vid I think, with a watermark) or $15 gets you a year's worth of use with unlimited length of video. It has some pretty straight forward editing tools to splice videos together, cut chunks out, speed them up, audio layover etc., and you can do live streams with it or upload automatically to youtube and some other sites. And it works on windows and mac. Not the best HD playback (720p I think) but good enough to pass imo. I've tried other tools, free and trials, but couldn't get most of them to work right. Camtasia is probably the best of what's available but that is over $200. Not bad if you plan to do a ton of videos.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.