Not totally off topic, but filling wine glasses

• I've gotten tired of not having wine glasses that are properly modeled to use today's shaders. Most either are one-sided, only have top polygons for the wine or both. (I'm not saying there aren't any. I do have one.) So I'm making a set with a variety of styles. I'm basing them off reference pictures. But as I do, I notice the wine in them. Most aren't even half filled. I'm not a wine drinker. Is it normal to put so little into the glasses? Or is it just a fashionable way to photograph them?

• Poser Ambassadors

@redphantom Tulip style glasses are intended to be filled to about 80% volume, leaving the remaining volume to concentrate the aroma when sipping.

• Poser Ambassadors

Ah, learn somethin new every day.

I put my wine in a tumbler. holds a lot more, less trips to the bottle that way.

• @AmbientShade said in Not totally off topic, but filling wine glasses:

Ah, learn somethin new every day.

I put my wine in a tumbler. holds a lot more, less trips to the bottle that way.

Fewer walks to the bottle, or stumbles to the bottle? ;P

• Poser Ambassadors

Better then falling over with the bottle. :-)

• Poser Ambassadors

Wine glasses obviously exist in a wide range of sizes.

But at any wine enthusiast event (whether a nice restaurant or my house) you'll find the glasses are enormous. This is to allow for the aromas to build and collect so you can get a good sniff.

A normal serving of wine is 4 to 5 ounces. I placed 6 ounces (a hefty pour) of water into one of my "good" Riedel wine glasses for your reference.

A roll of paper towels and my coffee mug (10 ounce) are included for comparison.

0_1512857137190_IMG_2513.JPG

• Thanks. I don't think I realized wine glasses got so big. Ours certainly aren't but then again, like I said. I don't drink it. The glasses are for guests. I think I'll have to research size too before taking them into poser.

• @bagginsbill
    When I first saw the picture, I thought it was one of your amazing renders, and wanted to ask how you made those drips on the marble and then I realized it was a photo. I also have those big glasses but with a longer leg and you are right they have to be filled only for a quarter to a third of the glass. (at least in restaurants, when I'm at home I fill the glasses fuller, so I have to walk less)

• My brother is a wine snob. This is more my style.