So frustrated with Poser problems

• I am really getting frustrated with Poser. For a while now I have experienced inconsistent results when rendering directly in Poser as compared to rendering in the Queue. I had reached the point where I felt the issue was with my old main workstation. Because of that, and because it started crashing regularly, I purchased a new computer to be my main workstation.

What a nightmare! I copied all my runtimes to a server share that is just running on a workgroup, not a domain, so that the re-install would be "easier". Well now none of my runtimes have preview pictures. I also can't create folders or save anything to them. I've checked the permissions and everything is fine. I can even browse to the share from the same system and create anything manually. I just can't do it from within Poser. It just says, "Poser cannot create that item at <path>".

I experienced numerous other issues trying to do something as simple as installing Poser on my new system. I'm not going to go over all the ridiculous problems I experienced trying to do something that should be so simple. Most of them I managed to work around anyway.

Right now I just want to know why this crappy software can't do something as simple as access content properly from a Shared Network Location.

Thank you for any help you can give!

• Unfortunately... Network issues are rarely the fault of software, but permissions and access.

As a user that has all my content on a Network Drive, I can say all the issues I have had with accessing content has been the direct results of permissions of my system, not Poser.

Poser only goes where you tell it. If your system says Poser can not go there, you will get errors. Once you resolve those errors, there should be no difference in the Rendering other than changes to the Render Settings or Scene.

For errors loading content when Loading a Scene or Loading elements when Rendering...

On Windows, the most common cause is improper Sharing. Remember, to Share a Folder on Windows, you must be able to share the Parent folder of that folder. Items directly in the folder if the Parent Folder can not be shared my generate errors. That is why you never make the Library a Folder on the Root of a Drive, but in a folder that resides on the Root of the Drive.

Do this...

D:\My Folders\Poser Content Libraries...

The Poser Content Libraries is the shared folder

Not this...

D:\Poser Content Libraries....

On Mac, it is usually permissions. If the Users/Shared/ folder or any of the subfolders does not have Read and Write for all options as the permissions, the permissions of those folders is corrupted.

Mac OS also, by default, often sets a created Folder to Read Only for all but the creator of that folder. Fixing those errors normally fixes all access issues to that location.

When Copying the older Libraries to a Server, make sure you copy the entire Runtime Folder.

If you are copying from an older system or one where you installed the content directly into the application on Windows (not supported since Windows Vista and Poser 7) Make sure there are no files in the Virtual Store for content installed. Windows would have done this by default. This can result in the files appear to not be present when either accessing from a different version of Poser or after copying the files to a new system. You think you got everything, but you missed all the files that were added to the Virtual Store.

A good practice is to make use of the Poser Collected Scene Inventory to create Archives of your Projects. These can be opened on any system when saved to a folder creating the Collected Scene Inventory.

• @ratscloset Sorry I should have specified Windows 10 Pro.

The problem only occurs when saving content to the Library, and it only occurs within Poser. All other applications function properly. Even Poser can save an actual file, as in File menu - Save as, yet it cannot save anything to the library.

Permissions have been checked and rechecked. The fact that it only occurs with the Poser Library seems to imply that it is a software problem. Especially when I factor in all the other problems I experienced simply trying to install the software on a new system.

• Well I have no clue what's wrong. Again, it's shared under Windows 10 Pro as Full Control to everyone, and all applications other than the Poser Library work fine. If I copy the same files locally, then they work properly. If I then copy those same files back to the server, then they cease to work.

It makes no sense to me at all. I mean even the preview images stop working, yet the PNG files are clearly there. You can browse to them and open them fine under Windows. Yet they do not work in Poser.

I am totally confused.

• What a nightmare! I copied all my runtimes to a server share

You sure you want to do that? I put all my runtimes in a local SSD drive to make file opening to be faster. A SSD drive produces like 200 MByte/s, while a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet network produces some 10 MByte/s, so 20x slower.

Why don't you do the inverse, put the runtimes in your workstation and then make your runtimes folder to be a network share?

• Poser Ambassadors

@mr_phoenyxx said in So frustrated with Poser problems:

hin P

If you store your runtimes on a network share, you must have that share make use of a drive letter.
    It will NOT work properly (the problems you describe) when use a UNC share (server/'sharename).
    To set it up with a network drive you right click on the share and choose Map Network drive.

• @fbs7 The server has a RAID 5 array. It wasn't done for speed. It was done to protect it. :)

• @wimvdb Interesting. I have never heard that before. I will give that a try. Thanks! :D

• @wimvdb Yep! That was the issue! I can't thank you enough. Wish I could buy you a beer or something. What a life saver! :)

• Poser Ambassadors

@mr_phoenyxx said in So frustrated with Poser problems:

@wimvdb Yep! That was the issue! I can't thank you enough. Wish I could buy you a beer or something. What a life saver! :)

I had the same issue many years ago, so I was pretty sure you had run into the same thing.
    Just upvote my solution post - digital version of buying a beer!

• As I said... Poser can only go where you let it go, based on Permissions. That is true of all applications, not just Poser.

The Speed thing is a good point as well. I have one system that is WiFi and it had issues with the Network location at times. Switched to Hardwired and the issues disappeared.

• @mr_phoenyxx said in So frustrated with Poser problems:

Right now I just want to know why this crappy software can't do something as simple as access content properly from a Shared Network Location.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Without knowing your network setup, it's going to be kind of hard to debug. Many people use remote runtimes, but I'm not sure how your's is arranged.

First off, you should map the drive/folder containing your remote runtimes to your local machine that's running Poser. Your local machine needs to treat it as a local resource for the directory structure refs to match properly. (That may be why your thumbs aren't showing up, too.)

Try that, first. Other posters may have other suggestions, so be sure to report back if this doesn't work.

Edit- Add: Derped... didn't see the other replies. Anyway, glad to know I was correct. :)

• @morkonan I still appreciate the response Morkonan! Yes, it was the fact that I wasn't using a mapped drive. I'm used to using UNCs and was not aware that it made a difference to Poser.