Hope Poser 11.1 will include missing Cycles nodes.

• Was hoping to add this to the Poser Suggestion thread, but can't find the link anymore.
    So:

I'm noticing that according to the promotional copy that Poser Pro 11 users can:

"take full advantage of the SuperFly material system, by building Cycles or physically based shaders."

But you can't, as several nodes needed for some shaders are not included with this iteration of Superfly/Cycles.

I'm really hoping that your new upgrade will include the following Cycles nodes that are currently missing in Poser:

Texture nodes:

Procedural
    Point Density

Color Nodes:

RGB Curves

Vector Nodes:

Vector Curves

And Converter nodes:

Color Ramp

RGB to BW

I found that the Cycles RGB Curves node could be possibly be substituted by by the Cycles Color Ramp node, but then found that both Cycles nodes are missing. Geez!

• @eclark1849 There's a Blender webstore called Chocofur that has some really nice Cycles Shaders. The problem is that they are all in the blender file format. Even that wouldn't be a problem though because you could just import the object files into Poser from Blender. Problem is there's no way to import the shaders because Superfly doesn't have the nodes necessary to complete the shaders. Sucks that, because we're missing out on some nice free content and shaders.

• @eclark1849 even if it had the nodes would it import the shaders? I did not think so.

• @ghostship Why wouldn't it?

• @eclark1849 I thought importing OBJ's just imported the OBJ's???

• @ghostship Okay apparently it wont import the shaders, but you could still rebuild them, if you had the right nodes.

• @eclark1849 yes, you could rebuild them but what a PITA! would be much better if there was some sort of import function for blender shaders.

• For one, I'd love a way to import/export shaders between Poser and Blender Cycles.
    2nd, one node you missed that I think people like BB would appreciate is the script node. I've just started using it in Cycles.

• @piersyf Actually I just sort of left that one out, but I think you're right. People like BB, Robinsveil and Kobalt Kween would love the scripting shader. Another problem I found was that SM changed the name of some of the shaders in Superfly. For example, the Cycles Surface Root node takes the place of three output nodes, Material, World, and Lamp. And other nodes just have different names like the Mix Closure and Add Closure nodes.

I've had some luck trying to rebuild the shaders by hand, but it is tough going. Most times I just leave the needed nodes out, but then that affects the outcome.
    Here's a basic glass shader I rebuilt. Not too bad, and I had to tack on a volume absorption node to keep it from being too dark0_1513254291101_globe.png

• I know I'm whining. But I'm finding out some of the things you can do in Poser if you only had those missing nodes.

But here's one you CAN do with Superfly. This is a non realistic shader. The red ball has a blue reflection in the other balls. The lightpath node shifts the color in the reflection nodes attached.
    0_1513417670479_reflect set up.png 0_1513417491424_reflections.png

• @eclark1849 I'm not sure when I would use something like this, but it's certainly interesting enough to play with. Thanks Earl.

• @Miss-B when you are making a vampire, for example. Look, no reflection in the mirror :)
    Or, more neat trick: one figure is visible for a camera only, while second is making reflections and shadows and not visible for the camera...
    LightPath is a crazy powerful thing.

• Had I known about it, this image could have been done that way. As it was, I used 2 scenes and post worked them together.

0_1513456543742_reflections.jpg

• Until SM can include the missing Cycles nodes, I'm trying my best to find shaders that I can rebuild in Poser using the nodes that we do have. It's tough going. It almost seems like SM purposely left out the very nodes needed to make these shaders work. I don't actually believe that, but it is rather coincidental.

In the meantime, I'm trying to see if perhaps I can substitute some nodes we're missing with others we do have. It's working and it's not. The substituted nodes either don't work with cycles or don't have the same effect.

Here's a cycles shader for liquids. Ideally, all I should have to do is sway out a few numbers or colors. In fact, below you can see a glass of water and a glass of pink liquid. The glass material and the liquid material all have the same nodes attatached. The water looks fine. the pink liquid has a lot more noise.

0_1513469345890_liquid shaders.png

• @phdubrov said in Hope Poser 11.1 will include missing Cycles nodes.:

@Miss-B when you are making a vampire, for example. Look, no reflection in the mirror :)
    Or, more neat trick: one figure is visible for a camera only, while second is making reflections and shadows and not visible for the camera...
    LightPath is a crazy powerful thing.

Ohhhhh, riiiiight. Now that's something I'd find interesting for sure, not that I'm into doing vampire renders, but still it could be useful with any fantasy demon. ~wink~

• Okay, so good news, bad news time. These shaders still need those missing Cycles nodes. However, I have been able to substitute the Gradient Texture in Cycles, which is a Texture node with the color ramp node. TBH, that doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I thought I'd at least try. I tried the Firefly color ramp node and I think it didn't do anything. So anyway, There are two shaders at work here, Glass and liquids. Apparently milk, orange juice and Pepto Bismol all share a common consistency. There's a lot of noise in this shader too, so it may need to cook a little longer than the forty minutes or so I'm giving it. I also think the subsurface scattering effect needs to be more pronounced, But that's just me.

0_1513512498622_liquids2.png

• @eclark1849 Looking like you're getting there, though, Earl.

• another thing that's bothering me here is the top of the liquids in the glass. I'm thinking that's the glass reflecting from the camera angle. Wonder if i need to add a Lightpath node to cut back on that reflection?

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi Earl, nice to see more people experimenting with shaders.

What bothers me is not the top of the liquid, but my eye fell on the sides of the glass.

The light reflection on the glass stops where the liquid starts.
    It looks to me that you put the liquid shader on the outside of the glass.
    => the glass stops, and the liquid starts.

The liquid should be "inside" the glass and not on the outside.
    You need 2 geometries here.
    One for the glass (outside) one for the liquid (inside).

The glass does not care if it is full or empty, it reflects light all the way.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters said in Hope Poser 11.1 will include missing Cycles nodes.:

The liquid should be "inside" the glass and not on the outside.

Incorrect, vilters. The refraction bends the light so that the contents of a glass appear to touch the outer glass. It's a required feature of the glass that is entirely realistic.

0_1513524801654_bfe26c43-0c0e-4a88-a488-0167ea6552bf-image.png