Hope Poser 11.1 will include missing Cycles nodes.

• Poser Ambassadors

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but your glass keeps reflecting from top to bottom. (as it should)

Earls glass stops reflecting where the liquid starts. => Specular stops where liquid starts.
    All what's left are some IDL between the other glasses on the liquid.

• @vilters The glass is reflecting just fine Tony. But there's really nothing else in the scene except those 3 glasses and the liquids in them. and two area lights off to the side and a couple of point lights in the back. What's to reflect?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    Should the specular not continue down as I painted here?
    0_1513550261309_specular-liquids2.png

That's also the spec visible on BB's glass.

No matter what's in the glass, it should reflect the light all the way down.

• @vilters That specular is coming from BEHIND the glass Tony. That's why it stops at the juice line.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    I just googled some half filled glasses as ref.
    0_1513551012018_half-filled glass3.jpg 0_1513551025801_half filled glass.jpg 0_1513551042991_half filled glass2.jpg

• @vilters Seriously, Tony? What part of BEHIND the glass is throwing you? Even your water glass is showing some specular behind the glass and look where it's stopping, at the water line.

• Whew!!!
    Five hours to render this time. I adjusted the translucency and think I got a lot closer to real juice and milk this time. Also added a background scene to give the environment something to have reflected in the glasses. I think I also realise, after the fact, that the top of the liquids needs to have the color and glossiness adjusted.

0_1513561290395_liquids3.png

• Hmm, I think I may have found a work around for the missing RGB to BW Cycles node in Poser. I have to do a little more investigating and work. So if I'm right, I'll have a way to rebuild some of these shaders I'm finding. If I'm wrong, then at least I'll have a better understanding of some of these nodes.

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters Why not setup your own render and show how you think it should look like?

• @Ghostman There's nothing to show. He's just confused. The juice has a glossy shader on it, and it's reflecting back the specular from the inside of the back of the glass. But the specular stops at the juice line, that's all. In fact, I'm changing the color of the shader now so it will match the juice color. I'm going to let it render overnight and post the results in the morning.

• @eclark1849 said in Hope Poser 11.1 will include missing Cycles nodes.:

Hmm, I think I may have found a work around for the missing RGB to BW Cycles node in Poser. I have to do a little more investigating and work. So if I'm right, I'll have a way to rebuild some of these shaders I'm finding. If I'm wrong, then at least I'll have a better understanding of some of these nodes.

Okay, so basically, at it's core, all the RGB to BW Cycles node does is to take a color image and desaturate it or convert it to Black and white. A simple work around then is to take a Separate RGB node and plug each lead into the corresponding plug on the Combine RGB node. Granted, it's not as simple as plug an image in and get an image out, but in the end it does give you greater control over what the final image will look like. I might even add a Separate HSV node and get even more control over the final image output. And, of course, if you lament having to add all those nodes together, you can simply collapse them into a single node group.

Edited to add: That all sounds ridiculously simple to do, doesn't it? So there must be something I'm missing. I'm not home right now, so that's first on my list when I get off work this afternoon.

• Here is my take at it. I'm lazy so I just used my shader on everything. 14 min at 3600 samples on my two cards.
    0_1513606449107_Orange Juice.jpg

• @ghostship Nice work.

Hmm, I think I may have found a workaround for the RGB curves node. Also, if you're wondering where I'm getting some of my ideas from, I bought this pdf book called The Cycles Encyclopedia. No, this isn't the webpage Andrew Price of Blender Guru did. This is a big fat BOOK.

• Poser Ambassadors

Literally desaturate is far simpler than you're making it out to be.

Plug your color image or node into an HSV node and set saturation to 0.

• @bagginsbill That will convert an image to Black and white? What the difference between that and RGB, then and which is better?

• @eclark1849 said in Hope Poser 11.1 will include missing Cycles nodes.:

I bought this pdf book called The Cycles Encyclopedia. No, this isn't the webpage Andrew Price of Blender Guru did. This is a big fat BOOK.

I have a PDF called The Cycles Shader Encyclopedia, which is about 50 pages. Is that the same one you're talking about?

• @Deecey That's the one. Sigh... J martins just told me no work was done on Superfly. So, no missing nodes included. Back to trying to find work arounds.

• Poser Ambassadors

Many moons ago, when word first got out, I wanted to learn cycles. LOL. :-) Whad-dha mistake to make. :-)

Then one night I went BTB (Back To Basics) as I often do when troubleshooting.

Material room "Rule number ONE" is hammered in stone here ; "BLACK is NO and WHITE is YES" .

Diffuse, bump, displacement, trans, spec, roughness, masks, and whatever variation you can think of, all listen to that simple basic rule : "BLACK is NO and WHITE is YES".

Looking back at some of the SM webinars? They clearly show : KISS.
    The best shaders come with very few nodes.

One "can" build a stack of nodes around the world, and then wonder why the renders times go through the roof. LOL.

Nodes and shaders are like vertex groups and material zones.
    Each extra one "can" increase quality. But do they? Or are they only "theoretically" better?

• @bagginsbill I hate how stupid you make me feel. :) Funny thing is, I never made the connection from desaturation to using the HSV node.