Hope Poser 11.1 will include missing Cycles nodes.

• Okay, after reading a little more on the subject. It looks like the workaround for the RGB curve node is to simply use either the Bright Contrast node or an RGB node. depending on what you want to adjust.

• @Deecey said in Hope Poser 11.1 will include missing Cycles nodes.:

@Miss-B

I think he means this one:
    http://www.blenderdiplom.com/en/shop/576-the-cycles-encyclopedia.html

AHA!! Bookmarked, and will check it out further tomorrow. Thanks for the link Deecey.

• So I found some fabric shaders for Cycles and decided to try rebuilding them. The purple is rather simple, but the last two require the missing Cycles Color ramp node. I tried using the Firefly color ramp but the contrast is all over the place. I'm hoping I can add the Cycles Bright/ Contrast node to control the contrast better.

0_1513744450667_royal purple.png

0_1513744496905_fabric 1.png

0_1513744511982_fabric2.png

• Just thought I'd update something. When I started this thread, I pointed out that there were about six nodes missing. I just found out there at best there are only five. I mistook a title in the Cycles encyclopedia as the name of the node. There is no such node in Cycles called Procedural. I don't know why I didn't catch that earlier, but I've only been human and on this planet for a couple of years. Can't expect me to know everything. :)

• @eclark1849
    Another update. regarding the missing nodes. It took me a lttle while to find proof, but apparently the Firefly color ramp node does pretty much the same thing as the Cycles ramp node. The only main difference is that the Input becomes the FACTOR, and you have to colors from one to the other, as a gradient.

I'm off now to see if I can find out exactly how the RGB and Vector curves work and if other nodes can substitute for them.

• I think there is a difference in the nodes in that you can have more than 4 colors and adjust the gradient between them. That said, I have used the ff color ramp as a substitute in some shaders and it worked fine.

• Also, the cycles color ramp have transparencies. I don't think the ff can do that.

• @redphantom I just saw the Cycles Color Ramp node demonstrated in blender and tried it myself. Then I tried the same thing with the FF colorramp node. It's not an exact duplicate, but it could work.

• Okay, the RGB Curves node has me a little stumped on what could replace it. Basically, it's a Color Correction node. But rather than try to explain something that still confuses me, here's the link to the video I watched.

At any rate, near as I can figure, the RGB Curves node does in one node the job of several others.

• @eclark1849

I'm thinking the purpose of this color ramp node is to change the color of the fabric, yes? There are normally two ways to do this: either by changing the amount of Red, Green, or Blue in a color (which is what an RGB node would do); or modify the Hue (color), Saturation (amount of color), and Value (darkness or lightness of the color) ... which is what an HSV node does.

But now, here's the problem. I look in the Cycles color nodes, and I don't see an RGB, which is what you'd have to use to add color to that grayscale texture map. You DO have an HSV node, though.

So here's a thought I had.

0_1513830133905_hsv.png

The "Image Texture" node represents your black and white fabric.

Next, I added an HSV node, and set the base color to red (R 255, G 0, B 0). I didn't choose red for any particular reason other than that it's just an easy primary color to start with.

I output both of those nodes into a Mix node, and set the blend type to Overlay. (Multiply could also work for this as well). So now, the fabric is red.

So now. What happens if you want to change the color of the fabric?

You'll notice the Hue value defaults to .5. The scale is 0 to 1. To explain how this works, think of the colors as being on a wheel. The .5 value is at the 6 o'clock position. The 0 and 1 values are at the 12:00 position. So if you set your H value to 0, or to 1, you'll get the exact same color.

So now, here's what happens if you set the H value to .75 (or, the 9:00 position)

0_1513830716667_.75 HSV.png

Now your fabric is green.

And what about 3:00 position? (Or 25%)

0_1513830826728_25 HSV.png

Now it's purple.

The "S" (saturation) setting in the HSV node controls the AMOUNT of color. The default value is 1. It looks like this setting gives you a range of 0 to 2. A setting of 0 will basically remove all the color and turn it into grayscale.

The "V" (value) setting in the HSV node controls the darkness or lightness. A setting of 0 would produce "black" for the output of the HSV node, regardless of the color set in the Color chip. A setting of 1 would produce "white" from the HSV node.

Hope this makes the HSV node a little more clear.

EDIT: Oops I apologize for the huge images. I forgot I changed back to my UHD resolution. LOL

• @Deecey Actually, you're confusing me a bit, so just to clarify, here's the color ramp node in Poser in action.0_1513859547999_ramp node.png

And you're right there is no Cycles RGB node in Poser, it has been renamed the Color node, but it is there.

So, I assumed you meant to say the RGB Curves node which is what the video was about. But I wasn't confused about what the RGB Curves node does as much as why use it in the first place when you do seem to have other nodes to do the same thing, like HSV . I'm thinking there's some benefit I'm not seeing? The HSV and Separate RGB nodes were actually the first thing that went through my mind while I was watching the video. So, I'm assuming there's some logic to using that particular node over the others that I'm not seeing?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849
    Nothing to be confused about Earl. => the result of the ColorRamp depends on how the obj was unwrapped.
    Want another result?
    => open the obj in Blender (or equivalent) and UV-Unwrap it differently.

Have you seen the renders of my dynamic hair lately?
    Could not get an acceptable result until I UV_Unwrapped it differently.0_1513861216807_ColorRamp-hair.png

Example : Want the ColorRamp to go from top to bottom? (now it goes from bottom to top) => Flip the UV_Unwrap vertically.

And, tja, for a ball? There are a gazillion ways to unwrap a Ball. :-) :-) :-)

Sorry : Forgot to introduce, but this is my own creation : Lanya. :-)

• I think Deecy misspoke and called the RGB Curves node the color ramp node. As I was watching the video, it seemed to be that most of what he was doing with lightness and darkness and hues could be done with the HSV node, though there may be more flexibility with the cycles node. The only things that couldn't be done with it were the posterize and the swapping colors for the black and white.

• @redphantom Yeah, that's what I got as well, which was why I posted the screenshot of the color ramp node in action in Poser. For clarification.

• Okay, I think I'm starting to get a handle on the RGB Curves node. Apparently something like it exists in Photoshop for color correction and manipulating images. The reason I'm so interested in finding a workaround is that there are a number of shaders out there that make use of some of the nodes that are missing in Poser. In most cases, we can simply substitute one node for another, or the effect the node has on the shader is so small that you wonder why it's there in the first place. From what I've manage to dig up, the RGB Curves node actually replaces about three nodes, Bright Contrast, RGB and HSV. That being the case then, I'm going to see if I can create a node group that gives us the same basic functionality as the RGB Curves node. Kinda missing that OSL node now. :)

• @redphantom

I don't recall mentioning the RGB Curves node or the Color Ramp node. I'm sorry if that confused you.

I don't work with the Cycles nodes that often. I prefer to use the Physical Surface node, with suitable diffuse (albedo), normal, metallic and roughness textures. (In other words, the PBR texture route).

• @Deecey I've also come to the conclusion that while useful in Blender, because Blender gives instant feedback on moving the curve spline around, so you know instantly what you're getting, that wouldn't be the case in Poser. Someone mentioned in another thread, that the dev team didn't have time to make the GUI for that node. Since Poser doesn't give instant preview feedback, that GUI would basically be useless anyway. I'm suspecting that may also be the case with the Vector curve node as well.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 - Curves adjustments are common to most image editors; you might find this link interesting, it has good demonstrations of practical usage.

• @caisson I appreciate the read, and i will peruse it. I've already given it a short once over. And after taking what Deecey said about using HSV I've been playing with that node all morning.

• So I discovered another issue yesterday while rebuilding one of the shaders I found on Chocfur. Now, chocofur is a Blender site, actually, so all of their shaders are in .blend format. Chocofur though has created some shaders that except for the missing nodes in Poser, can be rebuilt easily enough. Chocofur has also created some node groups that each shader uses, and sometimes has two or even three of these node groups in a shader. So Yesterday I finally make two of these node groups and save them to the materials library. Now here's where the issue comes in. I can import one shader into the material room from the library if I want tto try and make a shader, but if I try to import a second node group from the library, Poser will replace the first node group with the second. I also tried to copy and paste the node group, but the same thing happened. So, I'm hoping someone can tell me, is that a bug or the way it's supposed to work? Because if it's not a bug, it's damned annoying.