Poser Beards from Hair Room

• Poser Ambassadors

I opened up the 11.1 content today and was going to do a demo to see what could be produced with the new Paul2 figure, using only assets included with the application. (But doing whatever I can in the material room.)

I thought to add a bit of beard. It came out really bad.

0_1513446627606_BadBeard.jpg

Would anybody care to share some beard techniques and how-tos?

• Uh... for a moment I thought you had made those stripes on purpose, and I was thinking - "wow, good effect, well done!"

My beards never behaved that way; the higher the density, the more closely packed and uniform they showed.

• By the way, maybe the missing hairs are going inwards? The Wave setting might be causing that.

Also, are you using a scalp for the beard, or are you growing it on the figure's skin? If you're using a scalp, maybe it's getting undernearth the skin due to morphs.

• Also random length comes to mind. If you set length radomness = 0, do the stripes go away?

• Poser Ambassadors

It wasn't random length - fixed length, no pull in any direction.

I am trying to use the kink feature.

I did get the beard stubble to work OK.

But I still have a problem here on moustache and head. I think the kink strength doesn't automatically adjust to very short hair lengths and they're kinking under the surface.

• Something I've found in poser 11 is that when you first set up a new hair group and you change the length, pull down, pull side, and pull back, (and probably the length variance, but I don't use that one to know and can't check because a simulation is running.) you need to hit grow hair again. As you change those, the hair goes wonky and sticks out in all directions. It straightens out when you regrow the hair.

• Something I should note, though it may be obvious, is that if you do any styling or draping, that will get wiped out by regrowing the hair.

• But I still have a problem here on moustache and head. I think the kink strength doesn't automatically adjust to very short hair lengths and they're kinking under the surface.

Hmm.. my experience in the past is that the wave from kink depended on the number of nodes in the hair. I tended to decrease the number of segments to 3 for very short hair like a mustache, and that got it a bit erratic, so I had to increase it back again.

• The kink, like all bending, does depend on the number of vertices in the strand, similar to hi and low polygons in mesh.

The kink also ignores geometry. If the strand goes close enough to the figure and the kink is large enough to pass through, it will. Collisions during draping are computed without the kink. If you run a drape, you'll see the kink straighten out, the hair drape and the kink return. So, if the drape brings the hair close to the figure, the kink will poke through too.