Any idea why this happens? (Inconsistent render results)

• Now you may say that I'm using bad materials, poor lighting, or a host of other issues may be pointed out with how this scene is set up or configured. However, regardless of all of that the render results should be consistent!

And they are not! That is an issue for a rendering software whose main purpose is to render images.

I hope some of you try this test. Though I am not sure whether or not I want you to get the same results or different results. Honestly, I just hope we can figure this out. :)

• @mr_phoenyxx the problem you are having has to do with "sample all lights direct and indirect". This option gets unchecked automatically when not using separate light samples in the render. That is fine when you are just doing a CPU render as you have a choice but if you use QM or GPU rendering that option goes away and there is nothing you can do about it.

• @mr_phoenyxx that being said, I get decent results without it. The times it becomes an issue is when you ant to light up an environment (the inside of a modeled room) with multiple light sources like would be in a real room. That is when you'd like the render to take into account all lights. Unfortunately QM and CPU rendering is way too slow for a normal workflow and I have to make choices as to what gets rendered. I'd take a 4kHD GPU render @ 3hours over an HD sized CPU render @ 11 hours any day.

• @ghostship said in Any idea why this happens? (Inconsistent render results):

@mr_phoenyxx the problem you are having has to do with "sample all lights direct and indirect". This option gets unchecked automatically when not using separate light samples in the render. That is fine when you are just doing a CPU render as you have a choice but if you use QM or GPU rendering that option goes away and there is nothing you can do about it.

I believe we talked about this before, in a thread probably over a year ago when I first pointed this problem out. And I think it was me that had decided that it was an issue with those two check marks under the BPT options. But I thought it had since been proven that was wrong? That when you unflag BPT, that both of the sample lights directly options are in fact turned on even though the flags are off?

I'm not sure what you are saying about that not being an option with Queue Manager. QM should use the same settings as Poser, or does it not do that? Certainly there are no options from within QM to adjust render settings, which is why I have always assumed that it must get its settings from Poser. No?

• @mr_phoenyxx it's definitely when BPT is unchecked, weather sample all lights is the culprit or not would be better answered by the folks at SM. My guess is that QM has to shut that off to make sure as to not crash as BPT checked will make GPU renders crash on trans-maped hair.

@mr_phoenyxx it's definitely when BPT is unchecked, weather sample all lights is the culprit or not would be better answered by the folks at SM. My guess is that QM has to shut that off to make sure as to not crash as BPT checked will make GPU renders crash on trans-maped hair.

But then the render results should be consistent between Poser and QM with that setting turned off should they not?

• @mr_phoenyxx you are saying that BPT is unchecked and you render CPU then render QM and the results are different?

@mr_phoenyxx you are saying that BPT is unchecked and you render CPU then render QM and the results are different?

Yes. While the examples I posted were rendered on a GPU, I get the exact same results with CPU rendering. I also get the same results with or without BPT checked. No matter what I do, the results from within Pose are different than the results from QM.

Which is why I was hoping someone else would do the same test. Although I am pretty sure it isn't just my computers, because I have tried this same test on at least 3 different machines at this point.

• So...

latest discovery...

I started playing with random settings. If I check "render in a separate process" under General Preferences - Render, then the test scene renders properly from within Poser.

So can somebody explain that one to me? :P

This still doesn't explain the black pants coming out grey on one of my machines though.