PP2014 Cloth Room Simulations Take Hours

• I export a garment to OBJ or 3DS, then import and position it and click Calculate Simulation. Poser works on that operations for hours on end, quite literally. I have instructed Poser to create a single group. Nothing in the manual suggests a solution and I have, a year or so ago, performed this operation in minutes on the same PC. Has anyone encountered the same problem? Thanks.

• Poser Ambassadors

@abrahamjones If the simulation takes a very long time, it could be that there is an intersection of the cloth with the figure. Increase the cloth slightly to see if that makes a difference (watch out for other intersections).

The cloth sim will also go slower with a high polycount. (anything with a polycount of 100K+ will not go very fast)

Last possible reason are the simulation settings, nr of steps is directly influencing the simulation time (more calculations).

• @wimvdb Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty confident that I avoided intersections. I think you're right about the poly-count. The garments I used were fairly well-made. What baffles me is that I managed it a year ago without the extravagant processing time. I've recently decided to make a serious commitment to mastering Poser. Problems like this are so frustrating. Still, thanks again.

• You may want to export the OBJ to Blender and check in Blender for Non-Manifold vertices. These should be at hems and holes only, not inside the cloth.

I've seen geometry problems like being a killer to cloth simulation time.

• @fbs7 Good idea! Thanks very much, fbs7. Smart thinking.

• Is it conceivable that Cloth Room simulations could be slowed to a crawl because the runtime is not in the default location initially offered by the PP2014 installation process?

• Some clothing items are less than ideal for simulation. As mentioned before there is the 'Non-Manifold edges' problem and there are other issues(un-welded seams isolated vertices...etc) than can cause slow simulations. If you're developing an item for distribution you may have to trash the item and start anew, if however your intent is to use the item for personal use there's a workaround:
    Start your simulation and let it run a few frames then stop, but don't clear the simulation. Click 'edit soft decorated group' the group editor will pop-up, there's the option there to hide other items, click that. Inspect your cloth item for spikes( errant vertices that are out of place) they should stick out like a sore thumb. Carefully select only those vertices, they'll be constrained to neighboring vertices, exit the groups editor and re-run simulation. depending on the item it may take several tries to get all the offending verts contained but it usually works. When you get it worked out you can save your item to your props library and those groups will be preserved if you want to use the item in the future.

• @JAFO Thanks. It's worth a try.

• @abrahamjones As long as you're in Blender, might was well delete any double or loose vertices.

• Also, check that your cloth isn't intersecting your collision objects, even apparently tiny poke throughs can hamstring a simulation.

Another thing to watch for is hidden items in the collide against list.

Also make sure your collision object, I'm assuming a figure, doesn't do a lot of movement, I sometimes have rotated a figure through 360 degrees, so it looks like the last frame is the same as the first but V4 was doing a whirling dervish.

• I think it's time to acknowledge the obvious. The Poser Cloth Room, like the clumsy Morph Tool, simply doesn't work very well. The slightest tickle knocks it off its feet. External means must be found. "Harumph!" he said, reminding himself that Poser costs money.

• @abrahamjones Actually, I've found that the Cloth Room usually works pretty good. In most cases, when things go wrong, it's either a bad cloth model or some user error. Unfortunately, although most people want it to be, it is not "magic".

• @eclark1849 I expect to be able to export a blouse from 3D-Age's Office Suit IV as an OBJ and then import it and drape it on V4. That's a simple assignment. Clicking Calculate Simulation produces an hours-long and unsuccessful struggle. Once this week, I let it run overnight and found it still unfinished in the morning. I'm using an HP with a 3.6 GHz AMD CPU with a Radeon graphics card and 6 GB of RAM, not a super-powerful system, I know, but hardly a cripple. I want the Cloth Room simply to function as described in the manual.

• @abrahamjones This is what I meant about some people thinking the Cloth room is magic and can do anything. The Cloth room can take an object file and use it like Cloth, but converting one from a conforming object doesn't always work. That's why it's best to only use Dynamic cloth items that were designed for use in the Cloth Room. That's why I mentioned earlier about taking object files into Blender or any modeling program and doing a little mesh clean up like getting rid of double verts created by Poser's SetUp Room in the conforming process. or loose vertices. All object files are not created equal, nor can they all be used in the Cloth Room without causing problems.

• Poser Ambassadors

@abrahamjones
    A conforming cloth can be different from a dynamic cloth. If the obj from the conforming cloth is not welded (not required for a conforming cloth), parts of it may fall off because they are separate items. With a blouse it may be buttons. Apart from falling off, it may take a long time to calculate because of the calculations it has to make for each seperate item.

For buttons sometimes it works if you define the buttons as a soft decorated item.

• Thanks very much for your observations, eclark1849 and wimvdb. I do get impatient sometimes. It's good of you both to offer assistance and it is appreciated. And may I extend my sincere wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year?

• @abrahamjones And Merry Christmas to you.

• For anyone else who might be reading this: Here's the link to a page about why conforming clothes can't always be converted to Dynamic and why the Cloth room might not work on your cloth item.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20031211115435/http://www.poserfashion.net:80/p4_to_p5_conversion.htm

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.