Underexposing issue in Superfly?

• Yes thats true. Only having a problem with huge stages. I mean really huge stages like an alien spaceship hangar with lots of lights. When it comes to small lights (small angle of sight) Cycles is more like a blind fish in finding the lights. Other path tracers can do that better. AFAIK there are no ’light magnets’ or what ever that one could place into the scene to help cycles finding the lights.

• It is not, strictly speaking, underexposure, it's too few samples. The reason is SuperFly doesn't have portals.
    The normal number of samples for such scenes is 120-150 for PT.
    Using background as a light as opposed to mesh-based env sphere/hemisphere can add 20-30% of speed here, but it can be scene-based. (SF seems to calculate priorities different for envspheres and background, plus doesn't have to calculate reflections from the sphere/ground.)
    The optimal solution probably is a small mesh light with a photo texture, a dark HDRI as a World (background) texture, and removed back wall.

• No, there is a problem with underexposure. I noticed it with a huge interior scene with several rooms. The scene had around 50 lights. Most of them not visible as they where placed in the other rooms. Increasing the light intensity for the lights placed in the room the camera was in did not help. The render was still to dark and looked somewhat washed out. Only solution was to switch off all the invisible lights from the other rooms.

• Set the 'clamp' option for both direct and indirect light to 0. That will give you the true brightness, at the sideeffect of possibly more noise.

• @nagra_00_ said in Underexposing issue in Superfly?:

The render was still to dark and looked somewhat washed out
    = too few samples
    or too few bounces (there is a reason why Blender "full GI" preset has 256 diffuse and 256 specular. Speaking of other pathtracers, Octane has something like 8/16 as default. For simple (one-room) interiors scenes in Lux 8-16 is optimal too. Default Poser values are good only for direct light scenes with a small number of lights. )
    If it was underexposure, increasing light brightness would help.

• @stefan said in Underexposing issue in Superfly?:

Set the 'clamp' option for both direct and indirect light to 0. That will give you the true brightness, at the sideeffect of possibly more noise.

Yeah i think thats it.

• Another trick you could try is to simply turn off the shadows for the walls of the room, or at least dial them down a bit in the properties tab. Might even speed up the render a bit.

• @eclark1849 No,no, no, no. Might as well render using Poser 4 if you're going to shut off cast shadows from stuff that HAS to cast shadows for the scene to look normal.

• @ghostship You can dial them down Ghostship. That is why they're there you know.

• Pretty sure Superfly doesn't let you adjust the shadow intensity. Shadows are either on or off in Superfly.

• 0_1513790955080_Room lighting.jpg

• @stefan said in Underexposing issue in Superfly?:

Set the 'clamp' option for both direct and indirect light to 0. That will give you the true brightness, at the sideeffect of possibly more noise.
    Oh wow, this was it. That solved the issue completely!

What exactly are those two settings for? It says that anything other than zero will show full luminosity but it seems to do the exact opposite at the default setting of 10.

• I read those tool hints wrong, I finally understood what it meant by clamping. I set it to a much higher number than the default for indirect lighting and left direct at 0. It's grainy for sure at 75 samples, but I can always bump that up and the lighting looks the way I want it to.

0_1513834880999_BRlights4.jpg