How to hide parts of a building?

• Hi

Short Version:
    Is there a way to hide parts of a building for example using groups? And if yes, how would I go about it?

Long Version
    I have a building as a prop. I would like to hide parts of it for example the roof. For practical purposes I don't want to import it in parts because I have several material zones and then instead of applying one material to the building you're going to have to apply it to all the individual parts - in addition the structure of the building is such that I'll get visible seam lines by using different material zones. I saw that Poser has the grouping tool and I can group the parts I want to hide using that - but then I'm stuck - how do I tell Poser what to do with the group once it's created? If this is even possible?

I'm using Poser 11 standard but also Poser Pro 2012.

Thanks.

• Poser Ambassadors

With your group selected
    => Go to its Parameters => Properties panel
    There you have a checkbox => "Visible" to toggle visibility ON or OFF

• Thanks for the reply.

I must be missing a step because my group doesn't have it's own properties - so visibility affects the entire prop.

• The hide function is the grouping tool is only for while you use the tool. It hides everything but that group to get it out of the way.

If this is for posing purposes, you could change the element style of the building to wire frame. It might help.

If it's for rendering and part of the building is blocking the camera, you can use the delete polygons in the grouping tool if you have that. It might be only a pro option. But be forewarned. Save before doing this. Sometimes it messes up the UV Maps and it's not undoable.

You might be able to make the building a figure and give the parts you want to hide different body parts. I'm guessing here since I don't know much about the setup room.

• It's not for my own use - it's a prop I want to sell and I want to offer the option to potential customers to hide parts of the building for inside the building scenes or to display the full building if you want to use the outside of the building. So it's necessary for me to setup something that they can just "apply a pose".

I was playing around in the setup room but I didn't have any luck there either with the little I know about it.

• Take your wall into the grouping tool.

Make a New Group and assign the polys where you want a hole to peer through.

Assign a material. Call it hole.

Close grouping tool.

Go to material room and assign an invisibility texture to the hole. (Everything at 0 and Transparency turned on to 1.

Save the material.

You can then use the wall as normal and if you need to put a camera behind a wall, just turn on the hole texture. The normal wall UVs stay in place so your texture doesn't get messed.

• Poser Ambassadors

@pandab5 You could give each group its own material.
    Then as default apply the original material to the new material, this will render as usual.
    But now you have to option to make that new material completely transparent in the material room. You can save that new material in the library so users can easily turn it visible or not.

• Notice how great minds think alike. hehehe

• Thanks for the replies.

I was trying to avoid the invisible material option because it would require many show / hide material options - for each color and also it might be annoying if someone hides the roof - then changes the color of the building and the roof is back again - because that is what will happen. (In this case I think it might be better to then import separate props.)

So I was looking at figures and I saw people were doing this:

--

targetFigure NAME

refFigure NAME

actor part1:1
    {
    off
    }

--

and this is a pose file and there's also a pose that replaces 'off' with 'on'. So you just apply the pose file to get visibility / invisibility.

I wanted to know if doing something like that to a prop was possible (or a prop that I can convert / save as a figure) - that way the material is applied but not visible but if you choose to show it again then the correct material will already be in place.

• Poser Ambassadors

@pandab5 You probably can use a figure for this
    Load a primitive (like box), enter the setup room and leave again. I will now have turned the box in a figure. Hide the box itself (called figure_setuo in the hierarchy).
    Now load all the props you want and parent them to the body. Now you should be able to create pose files which turns the individual parts off

• That doesn’t solve my problem either, because if I load the props in one by one it preserves them as separate props and I need to then apply the materials to each prop individually. I wanted to avoid this.

If I convert the entire prop to a figure then I can load all the materials to the body in one go, as I can with the prop, but then I’m back to my original question. How do I write the pose file for it to refer to a group rather than a prop or body part?

• You can do with morphs. Say you have a school with base school, 4 walls, roof and belltower.

Separate the mesh for the school in 7 different separted meshes (base school, walls, etc...); you can do that in either Poser or Blender, either one works. Now you have overlapping vertices (say a vertex that belongs to school base, 2 walls and belltower, it will now have 4 copies). So the morph in one vertex in one mesh will not affect the morph in its overlapping copies, so it will not affect the other meshes.

Now you select one of those meshes, hide the others, and create a morph that flattens the vertices to Y=0 or flies them away to a non-visible location. This can be done in either Blender or Poser, both work. Name that morph say "HideLeftWall", default = 0, min = 0, max = 1, sensitivity = 1.

Now when the user changed HideLeftWall to 1 the left wall will either flatten to the ground or fly away to a non-visible location.

Benefit is that you don't need to touch materials.

• Poser Ambassadors

Don't know if this is any use, but I'll post anyway. I've made simple figures by splitting the original mesh into separate props externally then importing each prop to Poser & using drag 'n' drop in the Hierarchy window to arrange them into a hierarchy. Click the Create New Figure button at the base of the Hierarchy window; this will be saved to the New Figures folder of the default Poser content runtime, then edit from there as required.

AFAIK three options then for changing visibility of a body part - checkbox in Properties palette; or eye icon in Hierarchy window; or make a Pose for it. Then you could organise the material zones however you like.

• Thank you very much everyone for your replies and suggestions. They were very helpful.

In the end the step I was missing was to create bones in the setup room and then assign the groups to the bones.

And for completeness the steps I followed are:

1. Load the prop - either internally from your library or import it.
    2. Take the prop to the setup room.
    3. Re-parent it to the body and rename everything as you want it.
    4. Create bones for each part you want to show / hide.
    5. Assign the groups of polygons to those bones.
    6. Exit and Save (or save and exit - Poser crashed here a few times... )

Now you have your prop as a figure with "body parts" that you can show or hide in a pose file without affecting the materials.