Should we try to write a Fast Dynamics Script for Conforming Clothes?

• Clothing is essentially the same as the character's skin, then relaxed. Then, all you need is the ability to add collars and such... :-)

I have always found it strange that Poser ignores the relationship between body parts. For some reason, Poser allows you to place a foot on the character's forehead...

• @raven said in Should we try to write a Fast Dynamics Script for Conforming Clothes?:

No, it was Poser first, then someone did a DAZ bridge.

I see. So it runs on PP11?

• Yes it does.

• Hmm... guess not much need for this then.

I'll do something else.

• @raven ...but only for the PC, so it's still not a good solution.

• @tburzio I wasn't aware of that. In that case, fbs7, I say go for it! :)

• I'd be pleased to have a quick fit-to morph script within poser, similar to DAZ Studio's "smoothing modifier" to eliminate pole-through...

• @fbs7 sounds like a plan. Even though there are gaping holes in the Python API, anything which can be loaded from a PZ2 or CR2 file, including weight maps and deformer zone falloff curves could be created and loaded by a python script, even if the script can't directly manipulate them in the scene.

• @fbs7 If it does just what you say it would then there is still IMHO a need for it. Figures poking through clothing is still one of the biggest time consumers in Poserdom. Dynamics are great for dresses and coats, but I've long said that fixing conforming clothing shouldn't require a fully dynamic simulation. We know what the problem is and what causes it, it seems a special case solution could work in the most common cases.
    Often times dynamics seem like overkill. I'm not always trying to simulate specific cloth types, or worried about wind and/or gravity. 99% of the time we just want our clothing to cover the figure as it is posed.
    That said, VWD is on my wish list for its ability to run a dynamic simulation on trans-mapped hair alone.
    Now if we could just get soft body dynamics, and cloth/hair dynamics working reliably together without needing a degree in Poserology...

• I'm rediscovering that there are still major problems with conforming figures where the base figure has scaling applied to individual actors. Even setting Conform Scale can introduce origin offset errors in conformed child actors of the scaled parent. It's especially troublesome if the child actors are just ghost bones affecting the parent with geometry via weight maps.

I see what looks like morph mismatches in morphs copied from the base figure to the conformed figure which entirely disappear if the parent of the affected conformed actor has its separate scaling removed (reset to 100%). Clearing the Follow Origin and/or Follow Endpoint flags on the conforming figure do not eliminate the problem, they just change which way the offsets appear.