background image size

• Poser Ambassadors

Auto_Fit has not functioned correctly for a long time.

• So long as your preview window is the same ratio as your background pic (which you can set if it's floating), auto-fit works. I literally just tried it in 11.1

Floating preview window, dimensions set to 800x500 (that was the size of a quick screencap I had done for some reason), auto fit unchecked.

0_1514557118407_auto-fit01.jpg

Auto fit checked, it fills the background correctly.

0_1514557146886_auto-fit02.jpg

Palaver? Yes. That's why I use the square prop method or an enviro-sphere. But it does work.

• can anyone tell me how to use this envirosphere. Downloaded it opened it with poser but then what.

• Poser Ambassadors

@wallace11 said in background image size:

can anyone tell me how to use this envirosphere. Downloaded it opened it with poser but then what.

Did you look at the other pages and pages of stuff?

0_1514574447531_12974742-3101-4dd6-82e2-85e757f9437b-image.png

• How can I get a shadow on the ground with this?
    Obviously I need to add some plane to catch the shadow, but then how do I get a matching texture on that plane?
    Or do I need seperate renderings and photoshop?

• @starlingblue I think @bopperthijs had a way to add shadows to a plane under the figures but I don't know how that is done.

• @starlingblue Bagginsbill has a shadow catcher on his web page as well. I have used it in the past, but it has been awhile. Not sure if it works with HDRI lighting or not. There are detailed instructions on the page for its use. https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/shadow-catcher

• @ribroast I think it works for FF only, could be wrong though...

• @ghostship Yes, IIRC, shadow catching doesn't work in SF as yet, which is something I'd definitely like to see in an update in the not too distant future.

• @raven
    Thanks for the hint, thats basically what I was looking for.

You have to rotate the texture by PI/2 to match the mapping of the EnvSphere.

But a problem is to get the HSV right, especially since the material is lit by the EnvSphere, that is, by itself.
    So the texture projection matches but the colors and brightness are totally off for me.
    Hmmm.

• Also the projections on the plane and the sphere don't match 100%, the sphere appears to be slightly too small, but you can't make it larger since its already max. dimensions allowed.

• here's an example

0_1514836666115_projected environment test.jpg

It's cool but the colors and the alignment don't match.
    You dont see it at first glance when you don't know where to look for the border
    but at a second glance it's very obvious and annyoing.

I want to improve this if possible.
    Maybe its helpful if the plane would fade towards it's borders?
    Or maybe this would worsen things.

Then maybe you could combine this with the shadow catcher mentioned previously.
    The surface projection from bagginsbill uses Cycle nodes but these also work with the Poser Surface in Superfly and vice versa for many nodes
    So maybe there is a way around to have the shadow catcher in SF in combination with the projected environment map? Bascially fade the map, like in the Shadow Catcher, with the shadow.

• If you use my setup there is a possibility to change the strength (value) and colour of the map on the shadowplane.
    The problem is that the groundplan get lighted by the background lighting (or skydome) and it becomes lighther ( or darker) and the colour changes, especially with a blue sky.
    By changing the value and the colour you adapt the plane to the background.
    It's a bit of trial and error and you will need some testrenders to get the best result.

Best regards,

Bopper.

• sorry, I am still confusing names on this board, I was using your setup with the HSV corrections and a ground plate disk and
    with the Environment Sphere from bagginsbill but with a different material,
    just the image into ambient color and everything else black/off.

And with this sphere the projections dont match up with the ground plate since the sphere is slightly too small for the projection on the ground plate

I think you are using a slightly different setup for lighting? A different dome and or material?
    Anyway it's pretty cool and probably the best we can have in SF.

Yesterday I tried all possible things to combine this with a shadow catching material like bagginsbill had for Firefly, that fades to transparent where there is no shadow in SF, and it seems its just impossible.

I plugged a DiffuseBsdf shader into a TransparentBsdf Shader and used AddClosure to mix both, and the strange thing is that this gave a material that was always transparent at the shadows and opaque everywhere else
    (when it should be just the opposite way) even when you inverted the output of the Diffuse shader.
    And this worked for an hour or so and dindt change no matter what I did and than it stopped working all together and I couldnt reproduce the effect.

• @starlingblue if the plane is not matching up to the sphere maybe changing the camera's focal length will fix that.

• Yes, maybe, have to try that a little bit
    But I prefer to be flexible with the focal length and often like to use 50mm.
    Also I am not sure if it will solve this, or just make the difference slightly smaller.
    It also has an effect where the camera is located, the more you move it off center the more difference I think.

• Ok, now I followed more closely what @bopperthijs did with the background for lighting and now it works.

Great. I am pretty happy.

I would have preferred the dome since you can see it in the preview, but you can still use it in parallel and then switch it off

• Now I used a circular groundplate, scaled, and

Wave2D -> MathFunctions Gain -> MathFunctions 1-x -> Transparency to fade it towards the borders,
    works nicely, you dont see the borders even if colors or luminance are off.

However I had to use the Surface Node, the Cycles TransparentBsdf gave me strange results again in combination with the DiffuseBsdf and AddClosure.

Maybe I wasn't doing it right?

Don't you use the AddClosure to add a transparancy to another shader?
    When I do that I get off color pixels where there had been no pixels at all when using the TransparentBsdf alone.

And I found a disadvantage with using the Background for illumination:
    it's not reflected. So you need something else for reflections.
    0_1514922901619_fade test 3.jpg

• For transparency you have to use a mixclosure node and not an addclosure. I show you how if poser is available again ( I'm in the middle of a massive render)