background image size

• @starlingblue if the plane is not matching up to the sphere maybe changing the camera's focal length will fix that.

• Yes, maybe, have to try that a little bit
    But I prefer to be flexible with the focal length and often like to use 50mm.
    Also I am not sure if it will solve this, or just make the difference slightly smaller.
    It also has an effect where the camera is located, the more you move it off center the more difference I think.

• Ok, now I followed more closely what @bopperthijs did with the background for lighting and now it works.

Great. I am pretty happy.

I would have preferred the dome since you can see it in the preview, but you can still use it in parallel and then switch it off

• Now I used a circular groundplate, scaled, and

Wave2D -> MathFunctions Gain -> MathFunctions 1-x -> Transparency to fade it towards the borders,
    works nicely, you dont see the borders even if colors or luminance are off.

However I had to use the Surface Node, the Cycles TransparentBsdf gave me strange results again in combination with the DiffuseBsdf and AddClosure.

Maybe I wasn't doing it right?

Don't you use the AddClosure to add a transparancy to another shader?
    When I do that I get off color pixels where there had been no pixels at all when using the TransparentBsdf alone.

And I found a disadvantage with using the Background for illumination:
    it's not reflected. So you need something else for reflections.
    0_1514922901619_fade test 3.jpg

• For transparency you have to use a mixclosure node and not an addclosure. I show you how if poser is available again ( I'm in the middle of a massive render)

• Thanks, I think I'll manage without a demo if you cant find the time, now that I know what I was doing wrong.

• Hm, I think I do need an example - I dont get it to work either way.
    With Add Closure it seems buggy, with MixClosure I get a 50/50 mix which is semi transparent where the color for transparency is white.

Also, I am not sure how you set up your background lit scene.
    Do you still use an IBL light? Or set the backgroud material to cast light?

• @starlingblue
    Sorry for my late respond, but it got a little late last night
    Here are some screenshots how a simple mixclosure works:

0_1515015922477_Mixclosure.JPG

With a mixclosure you can mix between two different shaders : Diffuse, Glossy, transpant, emission translucent etc.
    With the fac input you can modulate between the two shaders. I have made a simple one with two diffuse shaders, one red, one blue. For the modulator I used a simple tile-function, but this can be anything: formula;s , 3d-functions, transparencymaps. (besides the new cycle-nodes, you can also use the old poser-functions.

Here is the result:
    0_1515016315593_DemoBall1.jpg
    Perhaps you ask what this has to do transparancy? Replace just one of the diffuse shaders with a transparency shader
    0_1515016638826_Mixclosure2.JPG
    and this is the result:
    0_1515016670535_DemoBall2.jpg
    You can also replace the tile function with an transparencymap.

• @starlingblue

Here is the setting for a mirrorbal. Very simple.
    0_1515017113746_Glossy.JPG

Just add a Glossy , be sure the color is almost white. With roughness you control the blurryness of the reflection.

0_1515017237099_DemoBall3.jpg

If you more questions, just ask. If I have time I answer.

• Thanks for your time, this was really helpful.

• @bagginsbill Besides the Primitive prop image. How did you set the actual background to have that sky?

• On the background material you have switch on "cast light".

• Poser Ambassadors

@authintix Same way. The surrounding prop is the built-in ground (aka the Construct) and I attached an image to it same as I did on the rectangle.

Images for surrounds like the Construct or my EnvSphere are arranged in a certain way but how they are attached is the same.

I'm not sure if you're asking how to map the image data for a 360-degree environment or if you're asking literally how did I load it onto the surrounding prop.

The mapping or layout of the pixels in the image is called equirectangular for my EnvSphere. The exact mapping for the construct is NOT equirectangular but it is close enough that people get away with using those images. However, they don't lay quite right on the construct and tend to look squashed.