3D models?

• Is there a specific resource for Manga Studio 5.0's 3D models? I need Tables, cups, basically every single object that I can use for my artwork.

Manga Studio 5 doesn't appear to come with any item models. It only has 3d models for posing a humanoid figure.

I looked on Google, but that wasn't exactly helpful or conclusive. Is SmithMicro have it's own resource for this? Is it Free? Manga Studio 5.0 does have sections for all the models, but there aren't any actual 3D models in there.

Thank you!

• What kind of 3D models are we talking about? Can you use Poser models?

• I mean object models. They have a list for beverage and food models, furniture, etc. But they don't have actual models for the objects available.

• Manga Studio comes with a few items you're describing. A small chair, a cup, a sandwich, a bottle, and a can. They're in the 3D materials under Small Objects. You can import 3D objects as well. The most common format is OBJ but LWO and LWS work as well.

• Thank you Garlam. Now, where is a good resource to find these items? Free, mind you. I don't want to pay 30 dollars for a model of a tankard.

• It imports OBJ and (I just now saw) FBX, just look for those file types. Many sites offer these. I don't know that there is much content made specifically for Cip Studio.

• Thank you.

But.

Where do I get free 3D models of that type?

• Sketchfab is a decent resource, you just need to check the file type before you download.

• Thank you, blue.

• Most Poser models do have an object file associated with them. Usually you can either find them in either the Character library next to the cr2 file which calls them or they can be found in the Geometry library. As for finding freebies they're all over the place. Start your search at ShareCG.com. You can find almost any model format there. Hope that helps.

• For moving model objects into manga studio, do I just drag it into the menu or is there a specific way I need to save it?

• I don't use Manga Studio, so I couldn't say , but you might try looking for an import export option in the menu. If it is anything like Poser, there will probably be a sub-menu that will list the different format options you can import.

• To bring the object into MS5 just drag it onto the canvas. Once on the canvas, you can add it to your 3D materials by going to Edit>Register as Material and placing it in the proper 3D folder. Give it a name, some tags, and so on.

• Aside from the pack of additional materials that was mentioned, there isn't a simple Clip Studio Materials marketplace for us to download new models like there is for users in Japan, so we have to do some work-arounds.

You can download models from where ever (though if you're going to use them in anything commercial make sure the license allows that). Others have already given you some good suggestions.

If the files are in OBJ or FBX format you can drag-and-drop those directly to the Clip Studio Paint canvas. For OBJ files you may need to move the textures out of a sub-folder and edit the .MTL file in order to get the textures to import correctly.

For DAE, DXF, or 3DS format you can convert them to FBX with the free Autodesk FBX Converter program. Just drag-and-drop the model onto the left side and export it on the right.

Now that you have an FBX file you'll also need to make sure the textures are at the same level as the model or textures won't import. ZIP up the folder, drag-and-drop it to your Clip Studio Paint canvas.

If it's a model you'll probably re-use a lot make it persistently available by going to Edit --> Register Image as Material and set the name and category for the Materials palette in the Properties dialog.

For simple static objects I'd either download free models from 3D Warehouse or build them from scratch using the free version of Trimble SketchUp (formerly Google SketchUp). It's a great program with a simple interface if you're not really that into 3D modeling. You can also import and modify DAE and 3DS models in the free version.

Then I'd export the models as Collada (.dae) format since that's the only export format in the free version of SketchUp (though there are free plugins available to export to .OBJ they aren't very good, the Pro version of SketchUp has more export formats). Turn them into FBX files with the Autodesk FBX Converter, and drag-and-drop them to Clip Studio Paint.

For pose-able object or character models (some objects are actually pose-able, such as a laptop that can be opened or closed) I'd make or modify them in Cheetah 3D (which is Mac only $oftware) and export them as FBX. You could also do this in Blender, which is free, though I've had some problems with it's FBX export other people have had success with it.

You didn't mention wanting more character models, but if you want them to accept poses dropped onto them, or have the ability to change clothes, facial expressions, hairstyles, accessories, etc., those are a bit more complicated to make. On my blog I've written a multipart article about my experiments with that if you're interested in going down that rabbit hole.

Also, keep in mind that default Clip Studio Paint models tend to have low polycounts and rely on the texture maps to add detail. Importing a high-poly model is going to cause lag. You can still do it, of course, but once you have the camera angle and framing the way you want it you'll probably want to rasterize the layer. The other option is to "decimate" (simplify) a high poly model. I like using Blender for that since you can play with the settings and see what the consequences will be (unlike Meshlab, in which you just have to guess). Depending on the texture mapping, though, the results of decimation may be less desirable than living with the lag of using the high-poly model.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.