PSD issues with Poser rendered files

• I've already filed this with Tech Support & they got back quickly, but haven't heard more since sending them the requested content & sample. So, I thought I'd ask here if a few of you might do a very quick test. This is with the most recent Poser Pro 11.1.

The problem stems from wanting to output with an alpha channel. To do that, I simply turned of the Ground's visibility eyeball after loading a simple scene with just a character & setting a pose. I then rendered and exported out to a PSD.

When I open that file in Photoshop (I'm using CS6 on a Win7 system), the file opens then in ~ 3 seconds crashes Photoshop. This is 100% repeatable. Tested this with Poser Pro 2014 and have the same issue. (I really wish they'd lock into a naming convention).

The thing is, if I export the same render as a PNG, no problem. It comes in as a single layer, no alpha, but the layer has transparency that I can turn into one. Actually, I use SuperPNG and that transp is converted to an alpha channel directly, but I temporarily removed the plug-in as a test to get the default behavior as described.

What I'm requesting is that someone with Poser 2014 and above and also has any of the CC versions of Photoshop to test this. Or if you have Infinity or any other app that recognizes PSD files. I tested this with After Effects, DogWaffle, and a couple others and they had no problem.

Thanks.

• Poser Pro 11 (with new update)…Exported 2560X1920 PSD, CC6 Photoshop 64 bit…No crash or problems what so ever.0_1514588409677_Test PSD.jpg

• @ma3rk works just fine here too.
    0_1514590910011_crash test.jpg

• @ma3rk PoserPro 11, Photoshop CS2 on Windows 7, exporting as PSD didn't cause a crash. I also checked, and the alpha channel was there.

I also noticed no alpha channel when exporting as PNG. I guess I never thought to look for that, because with no background or floor, there IS transparency.

• OK folks thanks for that. I'm going to assume it's an issue with CS6 then for now. Fortunately not a show stopper; just have to keep it in mind or just use PNG.

• @Miss-B
    Wow! CS2. And I thought I was being retro!

You might want to get SuperPNG here; www.fnordware.com
    It's free and really comes in handy.

• @ma3rk said in PSD issues with Poser rendered files:

@Miss-B
    Wow! CS2. And I thought I was being retro!

You might want to get SuperPNG here; www.fnordware.com
    It's free and really comes in handy.

Oh, you think CS2 is retro? For many years I only used PS7. I'm not one to upgrade software just for the heck of it, and if the version I have gets the job done, then that's it. Software updates, however, are another story altogether.

Thanks for the link to SuperPNG, which looks interesting for sure, but it says System Requirements are CS3, so I'm thinking it won't work for me.

• @Miss-B

Oh, I think I can beat that, and really date myself at the same time.

I got my first copy when it finally came out for the PC, probably in the early 90's. I saw the original Photoshop (wasn't called that then) as a Beta running on a Mac when visiting a friend at a place in Marin Co. called The Kerner Company. That later became a little company called ILM.

Didn't know about the SuperPNG requirement. Since it's free ya might still see if it works. It's just a .8bi plug-in that you place in the \Plug-ins\File Formats folder so no complex & involved install process. If it works it works. If not just delete. When you open a .png in Photoshop, it pops up an option box is all, then does it's magic when you OK. Saving to PNG is similar.

M.

• @ma3rk I think my first version of Photoshop was 5.5. Prior to that I was using PaintShop Pro versions 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, at which time I gave up updating. Versions 8 and 9 only had 1 or 2 things more than version 7 of PSP, so I figured why bother, and got my first version of Photoshop to replace it.

OK, I suppose it doesn't hurt to try the SuperPNG plugin and see if it works. As you said, it can't hurt . . . and it just might work.

• I am using PS CS6 64bit on a Windows 7 machine. No problems with opening Poser-generated PSDs ever.

But: If I try to apply the mask to the layer, PS promptly crashes all the time.
    So I immediately delete the layer mask (which works) and still have the same mask in the alpha channel if needed.

• Poser Ambassadors

CS6 Extended on W10. No problem at all

• @oldenburg said in PSD issues with Poser rendered files:

I am using PS CS6 64bit on a Windows 7 machine. No problems with opening Poser-generated PSDs ever.

But: If I try to apply the mask to the layer, PS promptly crashes all the time.
    So I immediately delete the layer mask (which works) and still have the same mask in the alpha channel if needed.

Hmmm. That sort of deeps the mystery then. Wonder if it's graphics card related somehow. I'm using an nVidia Quadro 4000 with fairly recent drivers.

I tried to see if I was getting a mask layer yesterday but crashes before I can get the panel open.

Thanks for this info though. If tech support gets back I'll point them to this thread certainly.

• @Ghostman

Thanks for the info. I just replied to oldenburg who's using Win7 & CS6 and only gets the problem if he trys to apply the mask. I don't get that far to see if that's how the PSD comes in when opening although I think it must be. More clues I guess.

• Poser Ambassadors

I actually get 2 mask layers. No problem selecting them either.

• @Ghostman said in PSD issues with Poser rendered files:

I actually get 2 mask layers. No problem selecting them either.

Two masks. Wonder why two? For the same layer or are you getting a second layer as well?

I just updated my nVidia drivers and didn't make a difference. For the brief time I can see the image it's against transparency. I had the Layers panel open but it's grayed I think; nothing in it at that point anyway. So it's as if the crash is happening when it's trying to create that mask.

I'm thinking now that there's something else with my Photshop install that's unique somehow & interferring. For example, I've the DAZ 3D Bridge installed and an Import/Export menu item for my BlackMagicDesign capture card. Even though neither are being invoked, maybe just their presence is enough. Sort of like Schrödinger's cat or spooky physics of entanglement. Straw grasping perhaps but not much else to go on at this point.

I think later today I'll test paring down what plug-ins are getting parsed upon start-up see if I can isolate something.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ghostman You have the GPU option ticked in PS Pref?

• @ma3rk Ok if I try to apply layer mask from the layer window it crashes PS (with use graphic processor on or off in pref). But I can load the alpha selection whether the mask is enabled or disabled from the section option ( load section)

• @Ghostman

Hadn't checked that but I do in fact. I'll try it off in a few minutes then.

Dang. Thought you might have been onto something there but just tried that and get the same thing; might even be crashing just a touch faster in fact.

• @sray said in PSD issues with Poser rendered files:

@ma3rk Ok if I try to apply layer mask from the layer window it crashes PS (with use graphic processor on or off in pref). But I can load the alpha selection whether the mask is enabled or disabled from the section option ( load section)

Interesting. So in your earlier post it shows with the mask. Can you delete it or disable though? If so, can you then make a new one from the alpha that behaves?

• Poser Ambassadors

@ma3rk In what Image mode is your mask in PS (RGB Color, 8 bits/channel?).
    Older versions of Poser (i think P9 and earlier) had a problem with Grayscale mode. It might be that another mode causes a problem too.

Edit - I see now that you have the opposite problem - loading a Poser generated PSD file into Photoshop. So different issue

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.