Anybody got a procedural shader for a pearl handle like on gun?

• Be nice if you had one for both SF and FF.

• Ghostship's free mats for Superfly has a pearl material.

I will see if I can find a link.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/86231/gallery/7/Material-and-Shader/Poser-11-Superfly-Uber-Shader-version-3

• @eclark1849 here's something which may get you started.
    0_1514906036678_Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 2.12.02 am.png 0_1514906053821_Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 2.12.17 am.png

The essential guts of iridescence (and I'll accept any @bagginsbill corrections to my interpretation with well practiced grace, lol) and pearlescence (which is here just a white diffuse plus the iridescence) is that physical material layers or variable thicknesses (in soap bubbles) are reflecting different colours at different angles.

The bulk of what's giving the rainbow effects are hsv nodes with fresnel nodes connected to their hue inputs. The fresnel value is multiplied by a large number (72 here, to give many cycles of hue over the range of normal angles represented by the fresnel node. Cutting the HSV saturation input gives pastels, so you can avoid overriding the bulk material diffuse colour (white for pearlescence or nacre).

You can probably get away without the cycles nodes in the compound metal shader. I haven't tried this in FireFly, yet, as I'm almost exclusively SF now. (Can't live without my caustics and volumetric fluids)

• Plugging some turbulence into the refractive indices gives a more mottled pearlescence.
    0_1514907751502_Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 2.41.15 am.png
    This doesn't do squat as is in FireFly, but if you plug the Specular_hsv node into the PoserSurface Diffuse_Color input and set the Specular_Value to 1, it at least shows something other than plain white.

I will have to look at my old FF versions of pearlescence shaders.

• @anomalaus Thanks for the shader. I'll give it a shot later when I get home. I have a gun I modeled in Blender that's been sitting on my desktop forever. This year, I'm cleaning out my Blender prop closet. I needed a texture for Firefly and for Superfly or Cycles. I'm also thinking about trying out that new Corona Standalone render engine, just to see what that's like.

• This FireFly preview render looks more like Opal than pearl, but the concept is the same. I didn't bother changing the SF water plane materials, so the reflection is lost when FireFly renders it.
    0_1514908622399_Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 2.55.44 am.png

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.