Poser 11 issues

• Hi all. I've just upgraded to Poser 11 from Poser 9 and I'm experiencing quite a few issues. Before I raise a support ticket, I was wondering if anyone else was having similar problems.

I'm getting a lot of error messages - the first when the program opens - [Error 193] %1 is not a valid Win32 application - most of the others seem to be alerting me to exception involving either Reality or EZMat and the 'NoneType' object (I'm aware about issues with EZMat in P11 but haven't found any information about the Reality exceptions). Basically almost any action in the program will throw some sort of error (although the triggering action seems to complete anyway so it's more an irritant than anything else).

Much more critical is that the cloth room is crashing Poser every single time it begins to calculate a simulation - even with a simple cloth plane and default settings (I've also tried Phil C's cloth settings with the same result). No error message from within Poser - just the Windows 'Poser has stopped working' message.

Installing Poser 11 has also messed up my Poser 9 installation too it seems so I can't clothify there any longer - the library pane in P9 is not appearing and showing the 'Flash not installed' error (despite the fact that I've installed the latest version of IE and the Flash plugin). Poser 9 is also showing two 'dson' errors now on opening too.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1) on a machine with an i5-3340 CPU 3.30GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, 64-bit.

As I say, it would be good to know if anyone else is experiencing similar issues before I raise a ticket with Support.

Many thanks!

• That's really strange that it would even touch your Poser 9 installation. I have PP2014 and PP11 installed on the same drive yet my old 2014 is completely intact.

There's a SR4 Poser 11, in case you don't have it, that may fix some of the issues you're having.

When it's crashing in the cloth room, what error is it giving you? Is it a program specific error or an OS error?

• @johndoe641 - Hi, and thanks for the reply. Yes, I have SR4 installed. I agree about the P9 issue - but as it was working perfectly up to the point when P11 was installed I don't know what else it could be that's affected it. There's no program error message when the cloth room crashes - it starts to calculate the simulation, then there's the dreaded 'white screen overlay' and the OS message 'Poser has stopped working - Windows is looking for a solution to the problem'. There's plenty of memory - both RAM and disk - should be more than enough for a relatively simple cloth plane drape. Thanks again for the reply!

• Poser 11 is a 64 bit program. It no longer uses Flash for the library. I can't speak to other issues. Good luck!

• i reported that same error to tech support a week ago. My P11 install was working perfectly until I installed the SR4 update. Since then, I have been getting the script errors.Same error you are getting on loading the program. Most products that install using any python do not work. I dont have any other Poser versions on this system so can't comment on that.

Trying to load scripts, it states the script is not a valid 32bit app//// I have 64bit P11 installed.
    Here is what i get trying to load a propr that utilizes a script...

ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
    RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file

It leaves P11 pretty much useless.

• Poser Ambassadors

Are any of the Runtmes you have linked to P11 from an earlier 32 bit install with things like Reality in them?
    (Or any other 32 bit addon for that matter, such as DSON, etc..)

Poser will search all linked Runtimes for addons, and it makes me wonder if it found a 32 bit one when searching the Runtimes added to P11.

• @shvrdavid - Many thanks for the replies, everyone. Here are a sample few of the errors I'm getting...

When Poser 11 (64-bit) starts up

[Error 193] %1 is not a valid Win32 application

When a scene (any scene) opens:

Exception in deleteObjects: 'NoneType' object is not callable
    Exception in objectsDeleted()'NoneType' object has no attribute 'update'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "L:\Poser development\EZMat\Runtime\Python\Addons\EZMat_init_.py", line 11831, in objectsDeleted
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'UpdateUI'

On adding a figure

File "L:\Poser development\EZMat\Runtime\Python\Addons\EZMat_init_.py", line 11828, in objectsAdded

On 'save'

Exception in Reality::saveData(): 'NoneType' object is not callable
    File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\lib\json_init_.py", line 231, in dumps
    return _default_encoder.encode(obj)
    File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\lib\json\encoder.py", line 201, in encode
    chunks = self.iterencode(o, _one_shot=True)
    File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\lib\json\encoder.py", line 264, in iterencode
    return iterencode(o, 0)
    File "L:\Poser development\EZMat\Runtime\Python\Addons\EZMat_init
    .py", line 11861, in saveData
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ScenePrefsSave'

on auto-save

Exception in deleteObjects: 'NoneType' object is not callable
    Exception in objectsDeleted()'NoneType' object has no attribute 'update'
    File "L:\Poser development\EZMat\Runtime\Python\Addons\EZMat_init_.py", line 11831, in objectsDeleted

When a (Firefly) render completes

There are others too. As I say, the underlying action seems to complete successfully in each case, but the irritation factor of having to close the error window every time you do something is quite high! Much more critical is the cloth room crash, and the fact that I can't use my original Poser 9 installation any more because of the library non-display issue.

As for the Runtimes... yes, I've simply linked Poser 11 to my existing Runtime (as I've done with every upgrade or new version before with no problem) so it's very possible there are items in there from previous 32-bit installations. When I installed (and re-installed) Poser 11 I did check the box that asks if you want 32-bit as well, if that helps throw some light on the problem.

Thanks again for the kind replies!

• Poser Ambassadors

When you installed the 32 bit part of Poser, did you install it into a different directory that the base install?
    The 32 but stuff should go into its own directory, and if you put them into the same one it causes problems.

• @shvrdavid - Ah! Thank you. I'll check where they went. I allowed the installation to use its own default locations... I would hope that if having the 32 and 64-bit in the same location is known to cause an issue, the installation would be set up to place them in separate directories. But I shall double check! Thank you.

• when the 32 and 54 bit installs are installed, do they act as separate applications ?

So i just uninstalled and reinstalled all the Poser files, but not the 32bit files ... it opened without errors. I'm now merging my previous runtime with the new one ... I had added a lot of stuff to it .... if it works..I'm a happy camper.

• @shvrdavid - So, after checking... I have the following installations...

Poser 11 (64-bit) is in 'Program Files > Smith Micro > Poser 11'
    Poser 11 (32 bit) is in 'Program Files (x86) > Smith Micro > Poser 11'

...as you'd expect.

My old Poser 9 installation is in 'Program Files (x86) > Smith Micro > Poser 9' (as you'd expect, it being a 32-bit application).

However - and I'm wondering if this might be the issue? - there is also a Poser Pro 2012 folder in each of the locations. The one in 'Program Files > Smith Micro > Poser Pro 2012' has a single folder ('uninstall') which contains two files ('Remove-DSONImporterforPoser.dat' and 'Remove-DSONImportedforPoser.exe'). The one in 'Program Files (x86)' has a Runtime folder which contains a Geometries folder with a single file ('Geometries > Daz3d > DSON > subdnull.obj') and a Python folder containing an 'addons' folder and a 'poserScripts' folder. The addons folder has a 'dson' folder with 3 DLLs, a PYD and a .PY file. The poserScripts folder has a hierarchy within it which again seems to be all support files for importing DSON stuff into Poser.

I suppose it might be worth removing both these Poser Pro 2012 folders and seeing if that cures the errors? Unless there's a good reason for them to be there?

• I'm not an expert, but since upgrading to a Win7 Pro laptop from my old WinXP laptop, I don't install ANYTHING into Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders. Those 2 folders are part of the Windows system, so it affects anything, and everything, installed within them.

This has been a factor since Wndows Vista, so I have 2 main directories in my C:\ root directory. One, 2D Applications, for all my 2D software, such as Photoshop, etc., and one, 3D Aplications, for all my 3D software, such as Poser, Bryce, DAZStudio, Maya, etc.

That said, I unchecked the box to install the 32-bit stuff to Program Files when I installed PoserPro 11, but I'm not having any of the problems you're experiencing, and I'm wondering if that's owing to my having all my software installed outside of C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86).