3d Car Models

• I want to know how to decorate real cars in my program Poser 10. I have tried to find realistic 3d models of cars but can't find any.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ahay24 said in 3d Car Models:

I want to know how to decorate real cars in my program Poser 10. I have tried to find realistic 3d models of cars but can't find any.

It depends in your definition of realistic, but Renderosity has loads of cars, many of which have multiple texture sets,
    To modify textures or materials to your own liking, use the advanced materials option in the material room.
    To edit textures (paintings) on the car, you need something like photoshop or other texture editing software.
    To change the look of the textures, you need to experiment with the nodes themselves to find your preferred look.

• There are loads of them out there, including Content Paradise. I did a couple of series of 'roads less traveled' vehicles, including American Cars of the 1920s and Fedoraville Vehicles Volume 1 (vehicles of the 1950s).

• just search renderosity marketplace for car
    that will give you pages of results
    Bill

• @wimvdb cars from real car companies. Particularly police interceptors I can decorate myself

• Poser Ambassadors

@ahay24 said in 3d Car Models:

@wimvdb cars from real car companies. Particularly police interceptors I can decorate myself

That is not possible due to copyright. Marketplaces will not accept them if they are clear copies of existing cars.

• @ahay24 Actually, while wimvdb is right, you can get realistic models 0f actual cars from Turbosquid.com. Not gonna lie though, costwise it's gonna make you squeal! And depending on what format you get, it may not even be rigged to work in Poser.
    Actually, you might be lucky. Turbosquid does have some free models, but the same caveat about the format you use.

• https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/?backendClass=entity&q=automobilles

Here are your results ( 4,728 items found ) All free.

Download Sketchup(free) import auto of choice, export to multiple formats...Obj, .Fbx,...

not just autos... just about anything you desire from furnature to gadgets to complete scenes.

• alt text

• The White House Complex

alt text

• @eclark1849 said in 3d Car Models:

@ahay24 Actually, while wimvdb is right, you can get realistic models 0f actual cars from Turbosquid.com. Not gonna lie though, costwise it's gonna make you squeal! And depending on what format you get, it may not even be rigged to work in Poser.

Unless Turbosquid declares they've gotten licenses directly from the auto manufacturers, they are in the same position as any other brokerage. On some of the car models that include trademarked logos there they put up a specific warning. But it gets worse...

Here is a test to determine if a brokerage derives income from someone else's trademarks...

Go to their search box and type in "Batman" or some popular DC or Marvel character.

You'll see that they (now) offer a warning and a link to 'editorial' use. In a nutshell, it means even though you pay money for the model, it in no way enables you to use it outside of 'fair use' laws. Meaning...they will take your money, but you risk the wrath of the copyright holder if you use it in any way.

• TruForm at Renderosity has realistic modern cars albeit with made-up logos as the manufacturer badge, including current ones. So unless you need the actual manufacturer logo, they may be worth a look (and currently on sale until Jan 18). A caveat with them though is they are props rather than figures, containing multiple parts that have to be selected separately rather than from the body.

Although these aren't 'interceptor' vehicles (he does have many other lookalikes), here is his Toyoke GE (Toyota GT86) and Delivery Vehicle (like a VW Caddy) in a quick Superfly render.
    0_1516185439724_modern_vehicles.jpg

• @wimvdb said in 3d Car Models:

Marketplaces will not accept them if they are clear copies of existing cars

A while back, as an experiment I started cataloging Poser compatible vehicles that were taken from recognizable vehicle designs and I came up with at least 25 sedans which are near or complete copies. There are no stores selling vehicle models that sell exclusively original or fantasia designs. Moreover, products based on vehicles out of production for 30 or more years often use the actual make and/or model in their product name.

A few models have had key features like grilles, grille logos or headlamps discreetly altered, but most are direct copies from grille to tailpipe. And this isn't counting the numerous "generics" where the developer follows design patterns of a particular manufacturer without copying a specific model (more frequent with trucks and utility vehicles for some odd reason).

I think the takeaway here is that stores aren't policing this too closely, esp. considering how many of those models are store-owned products.

• @eclark1849 I wasn't implying what's legal and what isn't; well known (physical) model and kit manufacturers only produce under license and toy/kit forums are stained with the bitter tears of collectors who've seen an entire car company pull their license without taking it elsewhere. That being said, quite a few of the inexpensive unpackaged toy cars for sale in dollar stores, drugstores and supermarkets share the same country of origin infamous for considering the concept "manufacture under license" to be optional.

As concerns 3D models, it is actually harder to find original designs for vehicles precisely because it is so difficult to create a mundane car chassis from scratch that looks like it could be real but isn't. It's a whole separate set of artistic skills with its own uncanny valley pitfalls. Even the sculptors behind the movie Cars based Chick Hicks' design off the 70s/80s G-body chassis shared by 5 different GM makes.