Enough Now...

• Thank you to everyone. I haven't been well enough to go through everything until today, things really got on top of me but I'm a bit better today.

I've had a go at changing the render settings and am trying out Annie's bedroom, which has numerous point lights, IDL emitters, EZMetals and a mirror as well, I'm thinking it'll be a good scene to use for this. It has a fair amount of stuff going on.

I've changed the settings, here they are now:

0_1517141296217_picture049.jpg

I'm still getting nastiness happening. Can anyone advise, please? I must say, I didn't understand a lot of what was posted, not really.

I did try a half-sized render but it still misbehaved for me. I would have thought my memory was enough, though I would like an upgrade... it's just a matter of money and priorities right now, as my car is falling apart, for a start off.

Jura, thank you very much! We shall see how we get on here, as it's occurring in numerous projects, not just the firefighter one, but if I need you, I'll give you a shout, that's really good of you, thank you!

• Poser Ambassadors

Irradiance Cache to 50.

Samples to 200.

Minimum shading rate to 0.2.

Render at a smaller size & see what the speed/quality balance is like.

PS. I would suggest using the standard Render Settings dialog; personally I find it easier to understand, there are tooltips for every setting, & the D3D dialog you're using only has a few settings that aren't in the standard one.

• @caisson said in Enough Now...:

Irradiance Cache to 50.

Samples to 200.

Minimum shading rate to 0.2.

Render at a smaller size & see what the speed/quality balance is like.

PS. I would suggest using the standard Render Settings dialog; personally I find it easier to understand, there are tooltips for every setting, & the D3D dialog you're using only has a few settings that aren't in the standard one.

I would add remove Subsurface scattering since it appears you don't have any materials using subsurface scattering (in red)

And change DPI to 72 as standard scale (72 pixels = 1 inch), you'll scale it later if really needed

• Render currently ongoing with these settings, as suggested by Jura11 quite a while ago (on Rendo, I believe) and my CPU and RAM are both maxed out... everything is lagging, even the text I'm typing right now.

0_1517146812824_picture050.jpg

• Result of above settings:

0_1517147671363_001.png

• Rendering again with recommended settings, the only thing I didn't change was the render scale, as I will want to render at that scale anyway, so having it work at a smaller scale is pointless.

CPU is maxed, RAM is maxed. Lagging like hell.

• Poser Ambassadors

If the RAM is maxed out?
    If RAM is maxed out completely the render will never finish.
    The only option left is to reduce the bucket size.
    Try 32 or 16 as bucket size and check what RAM it takes.

• Fluctuating... this is about as low as it gets, hits the top on everything when beginning another pass.

0_1517148962092_picture051.jpg

• Bucket size down to four and... same performance, it just takes a crap ton longer!

I'm tempted to call it quits with 3D art, I can't cope. I'm not enjoying it like I used to... like I should do. All I'm getting is stress and my artwork goes largely ignored wherever I publish it. The prints I have in my flat, people cuss them whenever they come round, I dunno why I bother with any of it. The only reason I ever bothered was because I enjoyed doing it, but I don't anymore! I used to set a render going, maybe go out for a drive or something and have a really special feeling in me, excited about how it would turn out... now I dread it! I dread even thinking of a project and getting a bug to start it, because I know it'll take days or even weeks to render, and my PC will be entirely useless in that time!

I'm suffering terribly, my mental health is in tatters, I live entirely alone and never see anyone, my social life doesn't exist because nobody bothers, and the only thing I enjoy doing besides being asleep is causing me more grief than ever.

• Your render settings are overkill.

Here are my default settings that give fast IDL renders with acceptable quality. For high quality renders you have to increase 'Samples=200' and 'Irradiance Cache=20'.

0_1517159979284_RenderDefaults.jpg

• @Glen85 again, as everyone has said: Irradiance Cache set to 0 will take nearly forever to render. It's a strange parameter as in lower numbers get you a faster/sloppier render untill you hit 0 then the parameter is at full/best quality and will take too long to render. This is how I set my FF for good quality settings. The settings that matter are set to give best results.

0_1517166022494_Render Quality.jpg

• Yep, as ghostship said, an Irradiance Cache = 0 means no interpolation and full MonteCarlo based GI calculation.

I used this a few times in the past to get beautiful IDL indoor renders from scenes that used very very critical lightning conditions. But on a 4-Core system a FullHD render with full MonteCarlo GI will take something about 1-3 days. And that applies to any render engine not only Poser.

• @Glen85 another thing I just read in a previous post of yours here in this thread: you mention using EZMetals shaders for the chrome. Those are nice shaders but terribly inefficient. when I did chrome in FF I used basic settings. Here is what I'd do with chrome in FF. And keep in mind that the artifacts you see are because my pixel samples render setting is set low (3) which is ok because the larger you render the image the less pixel samples you need. This chrome mat is very efficient (renders fast) and looks good. Here I have the reflect quality set at .2 (default). If I set it higher I can't tell any difference in quality but my render time goes way up. The quality setting is more evident when setting softness higher and we want glossy chrome, not mat silver.
    0_1517208616452_Chrome mats.jpg 0_1517208628075_Chrome.jpg

• I set IC to 50 ages ago, as previously stated, so it's not that. I took everyone's advice and did everything I was told except changing the render scale itself.

• @Glen85 said in Enough Now...:

Rendering again with recommended settings, the only thing I didn't change was the render scale...

• Have you tried to switch indirect light off? Does it make a difference?

I never had an issue with memory on my MacMini with 16GB RAM with such a scene. Seems there is something else wrong with your system or the Poser installation.

• @Glen85 said in Enough Now...:

@Glen85 said in Enough Now...:

Rendering again with recommended settings, the only thing I didn't change was the render scale...

The reason your CPU is maxed is because you're using all eight threads on a cpu with a max of 8. Bring it down to 6 in the render settings so one core will have two threads free to do whatever else you need it to do. If that doesn't work and it's still using all 8 when the render is going, ctr+shft+esc, go to the firefly render process and set the affinity one or two less and it will free up some processing power for everything else.

Also, since you've said you have photoshop, if the render is too ram exhaustive, just render the image in tiles. Do it in four parts and stitch the pieces together later. There's 0 reason to render something that large in one go and it's safer to do in parts in case the render fails because if that happens, the rest of the parts are not affected.

• I don't know if it is available in Windows 7, but in Windows 10 there is a setting which gives priority to the foreground app. Since I only found it by accident I assume it is on by default.
    With this I find there is no problem browsing etc even when resource monitor states cpu at 100% (and core are running at over 100% due to overclocking.)

• In my very limited experience with Poser 11 Pro, since I can barely use it... cause library problems, I can say that using FireFly renderer and all my 8 cores/threads I can still use my computer and do whatever I want.
    When using SuperFly and my limited 2 GB GPU, even if it don't uses all the cores available, I can't use my computer because it's not responding/lags, even setting a lower priority on Poser and FFrender in Task Manager.

On the other side, using Blender and Cycles directly in Blender, I use my GPU, the render is very fast and I can use my computer in the meantime...

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 16 GB of ram, i7 4 cores/8 threads, an old Nvidia GTX 650 with 2 GB Vram.

• Out of curiosity i made a big FireFly render at 8000x5000@300dpi

Scene was a bedroom from 3DC with IDL.

Max memory used by Poser 5.26GB, render time 25 minutes. On my old MacMini i7 quad core.