Support of Alembic?

• Is there any chance that Poser(Pro?) will be supporting import or export of Alembic format anywhere in the near future?

• Pro 11. Export worked (not tested in latest SR.)

• @phdubrov
    Export you are right. I had not checked that.
    I was mainly seeking for import.
    I ran into a content creation app that ingores the possibiility to export .obj or collada.

• Is everybody else having the same problems with normals, materials and getting the Alembic export from Poser to generally work in other programs like Hitfilm 4 Pro? The method I've been using dips the asset(s) in Modo before importing into HitFilm. It requires exporting from Poser in FBX format, opening that in Modo and making changes, then saving from Modo in Alembic. I export from Poser in FBX format with a texture atlas and import into Modo. The weights get added to a normalization folder, making the figure deformations right for what Modo wants. The textures I change blend modes where necessary. Run mesh cleanup and save from Modo in Alembic. That works out fairly well when importing into Hitfilm. Still requires a good bit of texture/material wrangling. However, if I export the asset from Poser in Alembic, HitFilm doesn't like the results. Materials are lost to 'default', normals are wonky and no texture atlas option from export dialogue.. It's just not usable. What methods are others employing that works for them?

• @smurfstalker said in Support of Alembic?:

However, if I export the asset from Poser in Alembic, HitFilm doesn't like the results. Materials are lost to 'default', normals are wonky and no texture atlas option from export dialogue.

Alembic doesn't really have a way of describing materials and/or textures, so losing that information is expected to a good extent.

Could you please open a tech support ticket and provide a sample set of alembic exports from Modo that work as you desire?

• @Uli-Klumpp Thanks for the reply! Sure thing. I'll get one submitted via Mantis this evening.