Poser Pro 2014 Lights - A Muddy Ochre Tinge

• Hello,

I have recently begun using Poser again after a lengthy hiatus. And I have a serious problem with lighting in PP2014. Simply, it introduces a muddy ochre color-cast on any scene I create. When I use the identical library and the very same lights in Poser 9, I experience no such problem. I've uploaded sample renders for both programs. 0_1465853863306_FK Lights MB-02R-Render - P9.jpg Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Has anyone a solution?0_1465853867444_FK Lights MB-02R-Render - PP2014 .jpg 0_1465853871522_FK Lights MB-04R-Render - P9.jpg 0_1465853877295_FK Lights MB-04R-Render - PP2014.jpg

• Poser 9 does not have Gamma Correction and the Pro Versions do. In PP2014 go to render settings and try un-checking the Gamma correction box. That should get you the same results as Poser 9.

• @richard60 Thank you so much. That does seem to have solved the problem. Although I am wondering what gamma correction is supposed to achieve. It wasn't helpful for me.

Thanks again, owe you a beer!

• Your best bet to understand Gamma correction is to go to Runtime DNA in the Poser 10/2014 forum and look for posts about the subject esp. Bagginsbill.

• I genuinely can't tell you how grateful I am for your assistance, richard60. I've been fiddling around with V4, her Hi-Res maps, and Meipi & Xameva's Perfect V4 Complete this afternoon. Nothing special, I'm a newb. But just seeing those skin tones as they should be makes it so much easier to enjoy using Poser again. I think I'm going to have loads of fun. Thanks awfully, as the Brits say. Your assistance was material.

• Hi there

I would recommend to use Gamma Correction if you can,with Gamma Correction you don't need to use as many lights like with Gamma Correction Off.
    Second bit I would add,I would suggest search for SceneFixer from Snarly,where you can convert all yours textures to Gamma Correction or not,plus this tools in my case most used with Snarly EZ Skin 3 and EnvSphere from BB

Link on SceneFixer

http://snarlygribbly.org/snarlyspace/legacy/scenefixer.html

EZ Skin 3

http://snarlygribbly.org/snarlyspace/ezskin.html

and EnvSphere

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/environment-sphere

Hope this helps there and good luck

Thanks,Jura

• Thanks very much, Jura. Much appreciated.

• @abrahamjones said in Poser Pro 2014 Lights - A Muddy Ochre Tinge:

Thanks very much, Jura. Much appreciated.

Hi there

I will try post few examples of renders with Gamma Correction and without the Gamma Correction
    With Gamma Correction yours renders will be always "brighter/lighter" than without the applied Gamma Correction,due this if you do use Photoshop or Gimp or Paint or any SW then I would suggest,have look on Contrast and Levels/Curves etc

Poser is very nice SW to work,don't be afraid ask questions and I'm sure many people would be very happy to answer it

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• Poser Ambassadors

Note for your googling pleasure, you're looking for "Linear Workflow". Gamma correction is only ONE STEP in linear workflow.

Note also that linear workflow isn't harder - it's easier. What makes it seem harder or more annoying or troublesome is this: For YEARS people didn't have the option for linear workflow. Instead they built hacks and kludges into shaders and added tons of extra lights to work with those hacked shaders. Yes -- your "default" V4 shader is not designed for linear workflow and has numerous tricks in it. These tricks are compensations for NOT having linear workflow.

When you enable Gamma Correction (GC) you are only doing PART of linear workflow. The other part is stop remove all the hacks and tweaks built into the shaders and lighting because leaving them in while turning on GC is like wearing your contacts AND your glasses at the same time. It doesn't work as desired.

You want to wear your contact lenses OR wear you glasses, but not both. If you just do one then you can see clearly.

Similarly, with Poser you want to use shaders designed for linear (simple) workflow with GC enabled, or you want to use hacked up shaders designed for non-linear (complex) workflow with GC disabled. If you just do one then the render comes out right. If you do both then it comes out messed up.

The SnarlyGribbly tools Jura mentioned will assist in removing the hacks.

• Thanks very much, one and all.

• @abrahamjones said in Poser Pro 2014 Lights - A Muddy Ochre Tinge:

Thanks very much, one and all.

Here are few older examples

GC ON Light setups

Default Lights

alt text

3 Point light setup

alt text

One infinite Light

alt text

GC 4 Light Setup

alt text

GC OFF Light setup

Default Lights

alt text

One Infinite Light

alt text

3 Point Light setup

alt text

4 Point Light setup

alt text

and few more

This is render with Gamma Correction OFF(or if you want with GC 1.0)

alt text

This is render with Gamma Correction 2.2(or if you want with GC ON)

alt text

This is render with Gamma Correction 2.2(ON),but here I've plugged between the transparency map Math_Function ,set this to Gain and under Value_2 I've put 0.8 and transparency now looks like should

alt text

This is render with Gamma Correction 2.2(ON),but here I've plugged between the transparency map Math_Function ,set this to Gain and under Value_2 but here I've put 0.85 and transparency now looks like should

alt text

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura

• Thanks again, Jura. You've certainly given me plenty to thing about. I really must learn about lights in Poser. Thanks again.

• @jura11 said in Poser Pro 2014 Lights - A Muddy Ochre Tinge:

This is render with Gamma Correction 2.2(ON),but here I've plugged between the transparency map Math_Function ,set this to Gain and under Value_2 I've put 0.8 and transparency now looks like should

I guess you really have to do this if your transparency map is also used as a diffuse map. However, if it's just a transparency map, I'd say you're better off opening the Texture Manager window and setting the texture gamma to linear (1.0), since that is the intent with which the map was likely created (50% grey means semi-transparent).

• @Uli-Klumpp said in Poser Pro 2014 Lights - A Muddy Ochre Tinge:

@jura11 said in Poser Pro 2014 Lights - A Muddy Ochre Tinge:

I guess you really have to do this if your transparency map is also used as a diffuse map. However, if it's just a transparency map, I'd say you're better off opening the Texture Manager window and setting the texture gamma to linear (1.0), since that is the intent with which the map was likely created (50% grey means semi-transparent).

Hi there

I've posted similar thread over on Rendo in past,where I've issues with Transparency maps,those maps are normal transparency maps what I know,I will post later on renders and this older thread,this is only issue with Gamma Correction and on all transparencies maps I've set 1.0 or has been set through the SceneFixer and looked on every map and corrected if hasn't been

Via Math_Function and Gain you have bit more control of the contrast of the trans maps or how to say differently,this "feature" or function I use only on clothing there I must admit,on hair this I don't need there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura