Poser has lost the Content Wars...

• Poser did resist the competition, but has definitely lost the Content Wars (which means it has lost the war). Of the 3 main Poserstuff stores of old, none remains; Daz is obviously Studio-centric, and even if there was a fool's hope that with the acquisition of RDNA they would make an effort, it is now clear that it won't happen: Even PAs who till now were making Poser versions have dropped support lately. As for RDNA, it has been bought up and culled, game over, and Rendo is very clearly (and rapidly) going the way of all-Studio too.

Now I expect the usual knee-jerk guardians of the faith to drop in and tell me that since I do love Studio so much, I should rather go post at Daz. Well, I'll spell it out for those too deep in their self-righteousness to understand: If I was happy about this evolution, I wouldn't be complaining, now would I. I would be happy.

This is a sad situation for me. I did love Poser, and did vote with my wallet (got all Poser versions since P5 and 30-40 GB of content). But this is getting too aggravating to continue: I just hate seeing every day nice stuff I can't use. And I'm not talking about the human figures. I'm talking about props & sceneries here.

Yes, some will tell me I should roll my own, and anyway "nobody needs any steenkin' content"; Well, I do own Cinema4D, and if I wanted to make everything myself, I wouldn't bother with Poser in the first place, would I.
    I bought and stayed with Poser specifically because using Poser I could buy high quality stuff which I couldn't/hadn't the time to make myself. This is clearly over now.

Am I really the only one annoyed about this? I sincerely hope so for Poser, because my own Poser times are over. I don't need the additional aggravation and frustration, I already have RL for this. So. Poser Pro 11 will be my last version.
    It has been 10 nice years with Poser, and I'd like to thank the people who made it possible.

• I think it takes a bit of time to gear up from all the changes that have happened in the last year. We are such an inpatient bunch, it's pathetic.

If you want some encouragement, head over to Hivewire. There, they are working their butts off to provide Poser users the high quailty content we are used to. And, heck, the best half of what use to be Daz in the hey day are vendors or owners at Hivewire. Even Nerd3D is a vendor there!

I would suggest a wait and see attitude. I think it's a bit early to declare anyone a "winner" of anything.

Flipmode is one of my favorite vendors over at Daz and he's still supporting Poser. I just bought his Easy Environment Tree of Life last month. And, quite frankly, I didn't see anything else over there while I was in the store that I wanted.

This week, I grabbed some deeply discounted M4/V4 stuff and converted it to Dawn and Dusk.

I'm completely happy with what I see developing for Poser users.

Have you seen the stuff they released at CGBytes this week? Niiiiiiiiiiice stuff - Poser AND Daz versions.

Patience.

I'll leave you with this Superfly render of the Flipmode enviroment and Shiora for Dawn by Tempesta3D.

0_1466208256871_Shiora.jpg

• @Glitterati3D said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

"I would suggest a wait and see attitude. I think it's a bit early to declare anyone a "winner" of anything."

Indeed. Nice render Glitterati3D.
    The frustrations some folks feel is certainly understandable. Is there a central nexus for Poser-centric content creators, new and old, to congregate and collaborate about the products they are slaving over? You know, a development corner away from the general public noise. I know there's different podz out there, but where can one go to get all the good info, encouragement and most importantly, product testing/quality control at one place? Another concern is marketing. Does this central nexus, if it exists or will exist, offer supporting media (newsletters, digital magazines, videos, etc.) to promote the content products and "new" Poser platform?

I'm more than willing to help out wherever and however I can. I'd just love to know where is best to go (hehe, beside the tongue in cheek "hell" response, LOL).

• @smurfstalker said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@Glitterati3D said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

"I would suggest a wait and see attitude. I think it's a bit early to declare anyone a "winner" of anything."

Indeed. Nice render Glitterati3D.
    The frustrations some folks feel is certainly understandable. Is there a central nexus for Poser-centric content creators, new and old, to congregate and collaborate about the products they are slaving over? You know, a development corner away from the general public noise. I know there's different podz out there, but where can one go to get all the good info, encouragement and most importantly, product testing/quality control at one place? Another concern is marketing. Does this central nexus, if it exists or will exist, offer supporting media (newsletters, digital magazines, videos, etc.) to promote the content products and "new" Poser platform?

I'm more than willing to help out wherever and however I can. I'd just love to know where is best to go (hehe, beside the tongue in cheek "hell" response, LOL).

All of the above would be heaven. Honestly, though, until a product is in testing and about to go in the store, not many developers will be posting much. Too busy trying to get it to market.

But, tips, tricks and help with creation, again head over to Hivewire. They are a helpful bunch over there and will work really hard to find answers if they don't have them. CGBytes, too.

But, the crew here is willing to answer any question asked, too, so there's no DS "noise" mixed in here - answers will pertain to Poser here.

I encourage anyone who has questions to ask away.

Everyone I know who is creating Poser content is busting butt right now to get product on the market, so just be patient. Quality takes time.

And, thank you for the compliment on the render!

• @Glitterati3D said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

I think it takes a bit of time to gear up from all the changes that have happened in the last year. We are such an inpatient bunch, it's pathetic.

I think customer have been extremely patient especially where figure are concerned - Victoria 4 was released in 2007 and there hasn't been any Poser figure that matches the quality or versatility of that figure. Genesis was released in 2011 so Smith Micro and content creators have had over 5 years to come up with a figure to replace V4.

5 years waiting for a Poser figure to emerge seems very patient to me.

I also think that calling people pathetic is extremely rude

• @adi I guess that all depends on your preferences. I think Roxie, Rex, Miki4 are all excellent figures. Not to mention Anastasia from blackhearted.

As for replacing V4, all I can say is you should probably talk to your favorite vendors who refused to leave V4 for all the lovely figures that have come after her.

SM has no control over the fact that vendors refused to touch other figures until they milked the V4 gravy train dry.

I'm happy with the figures from SM and the Poser vendors.

It all depends on your outlook.

• @adi said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

"... Victoria 4 was released in 2007 and there hasn't been any Poser figure that matches the quality or versatility of that figure. Genesis was released in 2011 so Smith Micro and content creators have had over 5 years to come up with a figure to replace V4..."

V4 was (is) a great figure, although not out of the gate and it didn't happen overnight. To be fair, it's V4.2 and she's been the beneficiary of a horde of support and content development over those years. I imagine that with the same kind of energy being put into just about any figure, that figure would be "better" than "figureX". So it's pretty much a circular argument. How is it reasonable to expect ANY figure to be something "better" when the energy being placed into that figure is so, well, negative, if any energy is placed at all?

It's just not fair to constantly compare a figure that had years of development and literally hundreds of people adding input to another that has not had the same SUPPORT from the community.

• Sadly most content artist and customers have made it very clear that they don't want to support Smith Micro figures and a large majority of content creators have also decided that they don't want to support Poser.

Smith Micro declared 'content is king' with the release of Poser 11 but the figures weren't even finished and it was left to generous/talented forum members to sort them out and the content they supplied with Poser 11 was the same old content that has been included with many previous versions.

Sadly without good figures, modern content and the support of the stores/artists the customers will move away from poser, many already have

• @adi I'm a little tired of folks saying that the SM figures aren't good. While it's true that people are entitled to their opinion, it is just that, an opinion. It's not fact. This is Paulene. Not Paulene advanced or anything special. Just Paulene. All the geometry is there to do whatever you want to. You just have to spend less time bitching and more time doing.
    alt text

• @adi said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Sadly most content artist and customers have made it very clear that they don't want to support Smith Micro figures and a large majority of content creators have also decided that they don't want to support Poser.

Smith Micro declared 'content is king' with the release of Poser 11 but the figures weren't even finished and it was left to generous/talented forum members to sort them out and the content they supplied with Poser 11 was the same old content that has been included with many previous versions.

Sadly without good figures, modern content and the support of the stores/artists the customers will move away from poser, many already have

How is what SM does different than Daz? Really, have you ever seen a Genesis3 render that's just GENESIS3 without addons? Hell, even Vicky7 is an addon to Genesis3. At least there was a time when Vicky was Vicky and you COULD render her even though no one ever did because she was hideous!

I truly don't get what you are hammering on about. SM follows the same path as Daz, only for SM it's somehow "bad" but not for Daz.

Your concern has been noted. And dismissed.

• @smurfstalker said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@adi I'm a little tired of folks saying that the SM figures aren't good. While it's true that people are entitled to their opinion, it is just that, an opinion. It's not fact. This is Paulene. Not Paulene advanced or anything special. Just Paulene. All the geometry is there to do whatever you want to. You just have to spend less time bitching and more time doing.
    alt text

Wow! That's stunning. Great stuff.

• @Glitterati3D Thanks! All I did was build off the great foundation provided by Teyon and the SM team.

• It's really sad that this is considered Not. Good. Enough. just because she's not named Vicky.
    0_1466258474502_Anastasia.jpg

• @Glitterati3D Awesome! That's more than "good enough" in my book any day of the week :D Well done.

• DAZ, DAZ, DAZ
    Uber Alles!
    All the sheep will surely follow us!
    Look at the galleries,
    We're pretty lame.
    All our characters look the same.
    Faces frozen in default pose.
    None more gorgeous than Lady Raine's Rose.
    She's Poser native for Dawn, and yo!
    The range at the Hive continues to grow.
    We now know Pauline can be just as hot.
    Dusk's as good as G3 has got.
    Even Paul may one day get rehabbed.
    And the range of product will never be bad.
    Rendo may now be the DAZ outlet mall.
    But Poser folks can wear it all,
    Except the 0.0001 percent.
    That for G3 is solely meant.
    Fitting room, Wardrobe Wizard, spend a minute.
    Unless your idea is always click and spin it.
    Bppppphhhhhlllllll!

• (I didn't plan on replying to anything here, but I'll do it.)

See, you (general "you") did it again!
    Which part of "and I'm not talking about the human figures. I'm talking about props & sceneries here." is too difficult to understand?

Bringing it all back to the old "Genesis vs. Whatever" slugfest is just sweeping the problem under the carpet. It is not about the figures - It's about the rest.
    I understand that people just rendering pinups on a backdrop don't really care, but I myself need sceneries, I need vehicles, I need buildings, I need stuff to create a halfway realistic world to (eventually) put some humans in. Even if I render the occasional pinup, it will be in a realistic setting (meaning a fully furnished room).

And this has been getting harder and harder, for most sceneries/vehicles/props worth mentioning are increasingly Studio only.

========

I'll reply to the in-topic posts:

@Glitterati3D said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

I think it takes a bit of time to gear up from all the changes that have happened in the last year.

What has happened in the last year? You mean the new Poser version? I sure hope it's not the reason content creators are abandoning Poser in droves.

If you want some encouragement, head over to Hivewire.

Well, I was there about 20 minutes ago. Their "newest" page is mostly about figure accessories (clothing and stuff) I don't care about. Please be so kind to find me there a nice ship/boat for a summer vacation scene at Hivewire...

I would suggest a wait and see attitude. I think it's a bit early to declare anyone a "winner" of anything.

I've been already waiting for years...
    I feared this would happen when Daz seceded, and while it took longer than I feared, it has happened: Poser users are left trying to desperately convince themselves there might still be a silver lining in the clouds. Yeah. I also might win the lottery.

Flipmode is one of my favorite vendors over at Daz and he's still supporting Poser. I just bought his Easy Environment Tree of Life last month. And, quite frankly, I didn't see anything else over there while I was in the store that I wanted.

I do like Flipmode's work and have several of his/her sceneries, they're very versatile. But here ends any similarity between you and me: I myself see a bunch of things I would had bought from Daz: Urban Sprawl 3, the DzDrones, The Black Gate, The Lost World, the Lonely Garden, and that's just from the first two pages. A couple of years ago, all this would had gone straight into my cart.

Have you seen the stuff they released at CGBytes this week? Niiiiiiiiiiice stuff - Poser AND Daz versions.

Yes, more clothes... For heaven's sake guys, I'm talking about sceneries and props. I don't make portraits of my favorite figure, I illustrate stories...

-sigh-

• @rg5a Constructively then, what kind of scenes and props are you looking for that haven't been created already? There's a TON of vehicles, plants and full on landscapes out there. Please, if this isn't about the figures then speak up specifically about what you'd like to see. There's many of us out there that spend the better part of any given day immersed in 3D. If you let us know what you actually want we can either build it or direct you where to find something that already exists.

• And Blue Tree Studio products, such as Beside the Sea, are Poser only. It cuts both ways.

• Moreover DAZ vehicles, are general Poser compatible, including DZDrones.

• Poser Ambassadors

Most DS props at daz do work in Poser. You just sometimes need to adjust some materials.
    Here is a test render of Urban Sprawl 3
    0_1466287640172_us31.jpg

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.