Poser has lost the Content Wars...

• @smurfstalker said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@adi I'm a little tired of folks saying that the SM figures aren't good. While it's true that people are entitled to their opinion, it is just that, an opinion. It's not fact. This is Paulene. Not Paulene advanced or anything special. Just Paulene. All the geometry is there to do whatever you want to. You just have to spend less time bitching and more time doing.
    alt text

Wow! That's stunning. Great stuff.

• @Glitterati3D Thanks! All I did was build off the great foundation provided by Teyon and the SM team.

• It's really sad that this is considered Not. Good. Enough. just because she's not named Vicky.
    0_1466258474502_Anastasia.jpg

• @Glitterati3D Awesome! That's more than "good enough" in my book any day of the week :D Well done.

• DAZ, DAZ, DAZ
    Uber Alles!
    All the sheep will surely follow us!
    Look at the galleries,
    We're pretty lame.
    All our characters look the same.
    Faces frozen in default pose.
    None more gorgeous than Lady Raine's Rose.
    She's Poser native for Dawn, and yo!
    The range at the Hive continues to grow.
    We now know Pauline can be just as hot.
    Dusk's as good as G3 has got.
    Even Paul may one day get rehabbed.
    And the range of product will never be bad.
    Rendo may now be the DAZ outlet mall.
    But Poser folks can wear it all,
    Except the 0.0001 percent.
    That for G3 is solely meant.
    Fitting room, Wardrobe Wizard, spend a minute.
    Unless your idea is always click and spin it.
    Bppppphhhhhlllllll!

• (I didn't plan on replying to anything here, but I'll do it.)

See, you (general "you") did it again!
    Which part of "and I'm not talking about the human figures. I'm talking about props & sceneries here." is too difficult to understand?

Bringing it all back to the old "Genesis vs. Whatever" slugfest is just sweeping the problem under the carpet. It is not about the figures - It's about the rest.
    I understand that people just rendering pinups on a backdrop don't really care, but I myself need sceneries, I need vehicles, I need buildings, I need stuff to create a halfway realistic world to (eventually) put some humans in. Even if I render the occasional pinup, it will be in a realistic setting (meaning a fully furnished room).

And this has been getting harder and harder, for most sceneries/vehicles/props worth mentioning are increasingly Studio only.

========

I'll reply to the in-topic posts:

@Glitterati3D said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

I think it takes a bit of time to gear up from all the changes that have happened in the last year.

What has happened in the last year? You mean the new Poser version? I sure hope it's not the reason content creators are abandoning Poser in droves.

If you want some encouragement, head over to Hivewire.

Well, I was there about 20 minutes ago. Their "newest" page is mostly about figure accessories (clothing and stuff) I don't care about. Please be so kind to find me there a nice ship/boat for a summer vacation scene at Hivewire...

I would suggest a wait and see attitude. I think it's a bit early to declare anyone a "winner" of anything.

I've been already waiting for years...
    I feared this would happen when Daz seceded, and while it took longer than I feared, it has happened: Poser users are left trying to desperately convince themselves there might still be a silver lining in the clouds. Yeah. I also might win the lottery.

Flipmode is one of my favorite vendors over at Daz and he's still supporting Poser. I just bought his Easy Environment Tree of Life last month. And, quite frankly, I didn't see anything else over there while I was in the store that I wanted.

I do like Flipmode's work and have several of his/her sceneries, they're very versatile. But here ends any similarity between you and me: I myself see a bunch of things I would had bought from Daz: Urban Sprawl 3, the DzDrones, The Black Gate, The Lost World, the Lonely Garden, and that's just from the first two pages. A couple of years ago, all this would had gone straight into my cart.

Have you seen the stuff they released at CGBytes this week? Niiiiiiiiiiice stuff - Poser AND Daz versions.

Yes, more clothes... For heaven's sake guys, I'm talking about sceneries and props. I don't make portraits of my favorite figure, I illustrate stories...

-sigh-

• @rg5a Constructively then, what kind of scenes and props are you looking for that haven't been created already? There's a TON of vehicles, plants and full on landscapes out there. Please, if this isn't about the figures then speak up specifically about what you'd like to see. There's many of us out there that spend the better part of any given day immersed in 3D. If you let us know what you actually want we can either build it or direct you where to find something that already exists.

• And Blue Tree Studio products, such as Beside the Sea, are Poser only. It cuts both ways.

• Moreover DAZ vehicles, are general Poser compatible, including DZDrones.

• Poser Ambassadors

Most DS props at daz do work in Poser. You just sometimes need to adjust some materials.
    Here is a test render of Urban Sprawl 3
    0_1466287640172_us31.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

While I can't speak for anyone else, I'm certainly making stuff for Poser - I have several projects on the go. Learning how to get the most out of the new version is taking some time, but I'm getting closer to what I want to be able to produce. P11 was a very big upgrade, and Superfly is fantastic IMO.

0_1466287942331_arch03.jpg

• @caisson That's beautiful!

• I must be missing something. In the original post it's stated that C4D is in play, minus the desire to create original content. Modo and ZBrush are the centerpieces of my 3D pipeline. Poser (Pro) just happens to play extremely nice with both. I don't own C4D, but I imagine Poser plays really nice with it too. Probably plays nicer since there's PoserFusion for C4D and not for Modo, but whatevs. I've personally found it far easier and less time consuming to build what I need rather than search endlessly for something relatively close that already exists. It's not very likely that someone has created something which perfectly suits my particular needs for any project. Things may be somewhat close, but never exactly what I'm looking for. Wouldn't it just be easier to use C4D to build what's needed and then also have an item for potential sale (or freebie)? What am I missing in this equation?

• @wimvdb said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Most DS props at daz do work in Poser. You just sometimes need to adjust some materials.
    0_1466287640172_us31.jpg

OK, I have a question. How did you get Poser to recognize DUF files? I was always under the impression you could only do so with DSON, or is that how you accomplished this great looking render?

• @rg5a I guess you missed this then: http://www.cgbytes.com/store/sku/54937_Dark-Void-Laboratory-For-Poser

And, that's why most of us just ignore the wails - the selective comments.

You greatly diminish your argument when you do this.

• @Miss-B said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@wimvdb said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

0_1466287640172_us31.jpg

OK, I have a question. How did you get Poser to recognize DUF files? I was always under the impression you could only do so with DSON, or is that how you accomplished this great looking render?

Import objects, no duf necessary.

• @wimvdb said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Exactly, it's not often a huge issue. Import the obj's and take some time setting up the textures for Superfly. It's a bit more challenging setting up figures with moving parts (and I specifically mean things like vehicles) as compared to static objects like buildings, but it can be done if you're willing to take the time.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Miss-B said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@wimvdb said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

0_1466287640172_us31.jpg

To import the DUF files, I use Dimension3D's DSON importer. (http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=dson_loader)
    It does require DSON when you use it, but it is a one time operation only.
    My normal procedure for this is to unzip the product to its own runtime, move dson to the addons folder of Poser (I have an non-active addon folder, i move addons in and out as needed). Then start Poser, use the script to import the DUF props. Save them as props in the Poser library, then quit poser again, remove dson addon and restart Poser and load the new - now pp2- props

I used to import the obj files, and that works too. But the dson importer is much better in setting up all the textures in the materials. It just saves time.

There is one thing I should mention. In this case I load a null figure and parent each block of US3 to that figure and then save that figure. The reason I do that is to be able to scale, move and hide in an easier way. An null figure can be created easily. Load a prop, enter the setup room (click ok to warnigs, leave the setup room, click ok to warning, Now you have a figure with that prop inside, delete the prop and you have a null figure. Parent the us3blocks to the body of that figure

Hope this helps

• @wimvdb I will definitely check out that script, thanks for sharing your method!

It does sound like a lot more work than I currently do, though. I can export the item as an obj (with textures) from Studio, import it into Poser, then adjust my textures. It's the texturing that can take the most work, in my experience, particularly in making everything work its best in Superfly.

• Personally I'd like to know how you remove the DSON component after saving to the library. The only time I tried that it discarded all the textures... like, I had to reinstall the product, and it STILL doesn't work.
    Also, to the OP; you mention vehicles. Well, I live in Australia, where cars are right hand drive. Like in the UK, Japan, etc... how do you think I feel with all those vehicles available that are all left hand drive (including supposedly British and Japanese cars)... and 'thoughtfully' supply a selection of licence plates, all for US states? FFS, there is more to the world than America, and it is not difficult to set up the model to make the drive position swapable. It only takes the few minutes of RESEARCH to see how the car makers do it. In fact, it is no harder to make the positions swapable than than not, just don't weld everything into one piece. It saves me having to deconstruct elements in Blender and reimport the whole thing.
    This has nothing to do with content for either platform, it is entirely to do with the choices of the content creators. I'm working on a house at the moment. If I'm happy, I'll make it available. It will only ever be available for Poser because I hate Studio with a passion. Actually, it might also be available for Blender...