Poser has lost the Content Wars...

• @smurfstalker said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Wouldn't it just be easier to use C4D to build what's needed and then also have an item for potential sale (or freebie)? What am I missing in this equation?

Maybe for you and I, but some folks 1) don't enjoy creating content, and 2) would prefer to load, pose, render. Nothing wrong with that - it's all about what we enjoy when creating art.

We need both in our community.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Glitterati3D Poser and the Posermarket has no good marketing anymore. You are right.
    CP need a deep clean, good promotion, excellent sales strategies. Heavy marketing via social media.
    How about something like DAZ originals, RP Publishing? Something similar for CP and Poser and Pauline and Co?
    Encourage vendors to create for them. With good sales, good vendors will join the boat.

• @Glitterati3D said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@Miss-B said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@wimvdb said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Most DS props at daz do work in Poser. You just sometimes need to adjust some materials.
    Here is a test render of Urban Sprawl 3

OK, I have a question. How did you get Poser to recognize DUF files? I was always under the impression you could only do so with DSON, or is that how you accomplished this great looking render?

Import objects, no duf necessary.

Well I thought of that, but that's quite a lot of work for a set this size. I would've done that for a small set. Didn't realize you went through all that work for this set, or are there whole street/sections you can import as a single object?

• @Miss-B It will be a good deal of work, for certain. More work than most are willing to put in (including me, LOL).

Sorry, but I haven't seen a prop/scene set worth the effort after paying the artist to leave all the work to me.

• also be aware that daz poser dson importer and the Dimension3D DSON importer don't properly support the Daz Studio instancing or the repeated mapping.
    So for environments that have instanced trees, rocks, flowers etc or even scenes that use instancing to fill shelves with books/bottles - Poser will often just load one instance of the prop on the floor, leaving you with a unpopulated scene that would take a long time to manually fix

@rg5a Constructively then, what kind of scenes and props are you looking for that haven't been created already? There's a TON of vehicles, plants and full on landscapes out there.

I have them all, at least those worth spending money on. Yet I need more, because there might be "a ton" of stuff out there, but it's not nearly enough. If there were, content creators would stop making any, wouldn't they?

Simple example: Ships and boats. Can you make a summer scene on the seaside, with some yachts and some smaller boats in the water? No. There is only one sailing yacht out there for Poser (quite good fortunately), a couple speed boats, and maybe one or two inflatables one could use. There are some jet skis, some windsurf boards, but for instance nothing which could pull a water ski. Anyway, it's not enough to make the smallest marina. You'd need at least 3-4 different sailing boats. And let's not even mention fishing boats, there are none.

And that's just an example. Supermarket? English pub? Swiss type ski resort chalet? Those are just some of the settings which don't exist at all, and even of those which exist (bars, restaurants, etc) we need more, of different styles, because for instance an american "dinner" won't work for europeans. The world is huge. If I need to populate an asian street scene, I'm pretty out in the cold. Only to mention the more "mainstream" cases. I won't even mention Italian fishing villages, bavarian beer gardens or safari lodges...

Yes, there is a lot of content out there if you make-do with whatever you have. If you want to recreate specific settings, there is not nearly enough.
    Daz seems to keep churning out quite good settings and props, but Poser users can use them. Rendo did release some excellent ones once in a while, but it has been a while since the last.

• @RobZhena said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

And Blue Tree Studio products, such as Beside the Sea, are Poser only. It cuts both ways.

Yes, yes, and some years ago, everything was Poser compatible; That doesn't change the situation. (I bought "Besides the Seaside", BTW.)

Moreover DAZ vehicles, are general Poser compatible, including DZDrones.

Oops, the DzDrones are indeed. I stand corrected. DzFire has a long record of making Poser-compatible stuff (besides he's a friend), but lately he had released a bunch of Studio-only items.
    That been said, all Daz vehicles released in the last months are Studio only. Specifically a sailing boat, a hog (I'm a biker...), and some other items I don't recall right now.

• @wimvdb said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Most DS props at daz do work in Poser. You just sometimes need to adjust some materials.

??? And how do you make Poser read a .duf (or whatever it is) file?
    (Note I don't have Studio and I don't want it.)

• @caisson said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

While I can't speak for anyone else, I'm certainly making stuff for Poser

Yes, you do, and I have bought several of your products from the late RDNA. I do thank you.

I don't own C4D, but I imagine Poser plays really nice with it too.

Nice enough there is a plug-in allowing you to import Poser stuff in it, indeed.
    And I have created myself a lot of stuff (even distributed some as freebies at TD), but it's not what makes me tick. What I like is making pictures. See, I'm a director, I have worked a dozen years in television before going OT and doing totally image-unrelated stuff. And I miss making pictures/stories, that's what I want Poser for.
    And I use Poser like a director: I buy the actors, the decors, and my own creative moment is putting all this together.

So, what you miss is that I'm not interested in sawing wood and painting to make a decor. I'm only interested in what to do with this decor and my camera.

@rg5a I guess you missed this then: http://www.cgbytes.com/store/sku/54937_Dark-Void-Laboratory-For-Poser

I did indeed. I only noticed the "Dark Void" clothing. (Not that I'm overly interested in a lab, the Team Dystopia stuff I have covers this need.)

And, that's why most of us just ignore the wails - the selective comments.

You greatly diminish your argument when you do this.

Aw come on. From your tone one could think you did look for a reason to tell me off.
    Yes, I missed it. I also miss why this specific product negates my complaint of Poser not getting nearly enough content anymore.

Import objects, no duf necessary.

That assumes there are objects to import. Stonemason does some, but very few others do.
    Heck I even tried once to hack a Studio file, that is take the OBJ geometry and the textures files, and recreate the product for Poser myself. Unfortunately Studio content has no identifiable OBJ one could use... :-/

• Honestly... in regards to Poser "losing the content war", they may not have the large sites... but darned near every 3rd party site I've visited deals far more Poser content than that made for DAZ. I know that the large majority of my own customers are Poser users rather than DAZ users. Honestly if you were to add up all the 3rd party vendor sites, you'd probably find that they have the DAZ ones out numbered in a fairly significant way. What we lack is a centralized site to bring it all together. I'd asked in the Q & A forum here if they were going to allow 3rd party content providers to post releases etc here as the community has lost that "one-stop-shop" that it used to have available on other sites...

• @Ladonna said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

I don't think it is the lack of content, It is more the way Poser and Poserstuff get promoted.
    Look over DAZ, aggressive promotion with really fantastic deals.

That is partly true. "Partly" because you only see Daz stuff if you actively go there, so it's not that aggressive. But I agree Poser stuff usually gets released secretly in a handful of confidential shops, and you have to really search for it to notice it.

But then again, there is also a basic problem of quantity. Apparently since yesterday (or so) Daz has released three new sceneries and a prop, all quite good-looking at first glance, all Studio-only.
    How many Poser sceneries and props have been released since yesterday (or so) in all the existing Poser shops?...

• @Ladonna said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

CP need a deep clean, good promotion, excellent sales strategies. Heavy marketing via social media.

CP needs content. You can't market thin air. Fill CP with excellent, high-quality content and people will rush to it. You don't catch flies with vinegar, no matter how much you praise it.

I don't get Daz newsletters (stopped them along with my Platinum club subscription many years ago when Daz became Studio-centric), yet I still look in every now and then, just in case I could use something of all the nice stuff released there. It has nothing to do with their marketing efforts (I don't see), it has to do with the quality of the stuff they release and the fact I can't find equivalent stuff elsewhere.

The way out of "also ran" for CP leads through first-class content, and even Rendo doesn't have that much of it nowadays. So, where have all the first-class content creators gone? Well?

• @theschell said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

but darned near every 3rd party site I've visited deals far more Poser content than that made for DAZ.

There is an awful lot of chaff though. I won't give examples obviously, but a lot of the Poser products is lower (if not lowest) grade quality. You start seeing this with Studio too, except that the low quality Studio stuff is sold at Rendo...

Not to mention the old stuff, from when computers couldn't handle much and things had to be simplified. For the time that content might had been cutting edge, nowadays it looks so low resolution you can only place it in the far background. Poser has obviously much more of those legacy products. They exist, but you wouldn't use them, unless you are into toons.

• Poser Ambassadors

It seems that HiveWire has acquired a number of former rdna poser vendors. Have you looked there at their props and scenery? Just a quick browse through looks like they have some nice things.

Marketing and promotion does have a lot to do with it. That and so much Poser content is scattered all over the net. A centralized place where vendors can add their listings would be a good idea. Seems that it could incorporate something automated as well, basically a search engine for content that vendors can add listings to when they need.

Props and scenery have always been in shorter supply than figures and clothing and most vendors follow where ever the most popular figures are going because that tends to draw the most sales.

• Poser Ambassadors

So? We are back to the basics.
    The camp with the better figures has the brightest future.

• @rg5a, it doesn't sound like you are exploring things that can be USED in Poser. 3D Warehouse, for example (3dwarehouse something sketchup something com), has oodles of sailboats and yachts. Download the skp file, go to Babel3d (www something babel3d something com), and convert it to an obj. DarthJ, who posts on this very site, has beaucoup European building freebies.

• @wimvdb said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Here is a test render of Urban Sprawl 3
    0_1466287640172_us31.jpg

Just a short side note…

@wimvdb: You may want to apply the attached shader to the roads of US3. Works pretty well for close up and long distant renders. Works on all blocks.

Here a fast test render to give you an impression (Firefly IDL):
    0_1466423368770_US3Block234 Scene IDL.jpg

0_1466423470435_US3RoadShader4_mz5.txt