Poser has lost the Content Wars...

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi James_in_3D,
    This is a quote from the willdial/lululee forum
    Cheerio
    lululee

"It's easy. I just opened up winebottler which is a free utility and it made a little application. I'm just trying another one to see if I can package everything up into a stand alone application, but it's easy enough for all of you just to download the free winebottler. It makes your program think it is opening on a PC. No PC software required and no virus risks."

• @lululee said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Hi James_in_3D,
    Cheerio
    lululee

"It's easy. I just opened up winebottler which is a free utility and it made a little application. I'm just trying another one to see if I can package everything up into a stand alone application, but it's easy enough for all of you just to download the free winebottler. It makes your program think it is opening on a PC. No PC software required and no virus risks."

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. :)

I use Crossover (it's Wine-ish) to run my Windows software on OSX ...It hadn't occurred to me to try using something like that. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with using the Winebottler app!

• @lululee So a quick question what is your plan to get Encrypted files into Poser?

• @James_in_3D said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@lululee said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Hi James_in_3D,
    Cheerio
    lululee

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. :)

I use Crossover (it's Wine-ish) to run my Windows software on OSX ...It hadn't occurred to me to try using something like that. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with using the Winebottler app!

...Or what I come up with... lol

• @AmbientShade Just as a quick aside: This was found on the Blender website in their online manual...

Note

Cycles Outside of Blender

Since its release under a permissive open-source (Apache 2.0) license, it’s also in use by other 3D tools, such as Poser and Rhino. Cycles can be used as part of Blender and as stand-alone, making it a flexible solution for ray-traced rendering.

• @AmbientShade said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

It seems that HiveWire has acquired a number of former rdna poser vendors. Have you looked there at their props and scenery?

I'm using Poser for over 10 years, I know everything available on RDNA, and have bought everything I wanted from there (except 3 items which will be bought soon). It's about new, future content that I'm concerned.

Marketing and promotion does have a lot to do with it. That and so much Poser content is scattered all over the net. A centralized place where vendors can add their listings would be a good idea.

While you're right, vendors also need to keep making Poser content for this to work. It seems most of the best are switching to Studio... :-(

Props and scenery have always been in shorter supply than figures and clothing and most vendors follow where ever the most popular figures are going because that tends to draw the most sales.

True, except that sceneries and props should/could be universal. I mean, how much additional work is it to also make a "Poser 4" type version (just plain textures, no shaders) anyone could use?
    It's not like you'd have to re-rig a scenery...

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi Richard60,
    I don't know much about encrypted content. I haven't bought any.
    What I am working on is regular un-encrypted content.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• Most of the vendors that i've heard from who have switched DS only props are not doing it because they like Studio better, (well, except for Stonemason, who, if I recall said he didn't like dealing with Poser's materials or something like that. It was in a post over at RDNA. Maybe I'll see if I can track it down.) They seem to feel that it's not worth the extra effort for the few extra sales to make Poser materials.

• @RobZhena said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@rg5a, it doesn't sound like you are exploring things that can be USED in Poser. 3D Warehouse, for example (3dwarehouse something sketchup something com),

Sorry, I need clear licenses. Straight from the 3D Warehouse TOS: "Trimble does not endorse, guarantee or provide a warranty for the third party 3D Warehouse Materials and may or may not review them for compliance with law (copyright, patent or any other laws) or Trimble policies. Use of a third party Model is governed by the License Terms Applicable to Models set forth below. TRIMBLE DOES NOT MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY WITH REGARD TO MODELS POSTED BY THIRD PARTIES (AND ANY ACTION YOU TAKE BASED ON THEM)
    In short, any pirated mash can be freely distributed at 3D Warehouse...

DarthJ, who posts on this very site, has beaucoup European building freebies.

Yes, I know DarthJ very well, from the times we were both posting at Daz, many, many years ago.

• @nagra_00_ said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Why not just using LibraryManger2 with the free DAZ plugin (needs DSON to be installed)?

Because I don't want to install DSON...
    DSON is a kludge, a means to fit round pegs in a square hole. If I can avoid it, I will.

Besides, installing a Studio translator means admitting that Poser isn't enough just by itself. It's an admission that Studio has won.

• Poser Ambassadors

I've heard the same as what EClarke just stated form a number of vendors too. And as long as DS remains free there's always going to be a larger potential userbase for it. That's just the way things are in any market. Some of us are still making Poser content, but it takes time, and has to be something we're interested in building and seems like it would be a potential seller. A single request in a forum for a specific item is a crap-shoot on whether it will be worth the time to build unless it's a commission, and commissions don't come with the same price tags that items in the stores come with.

Lately I've been learning my way around DS.

Is there some specific reason that you can't convert the DS content you see yourself, when it doesn't come with dson installers?

• @vilters said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Some years ago, I invented the basics for the fitting room and wrote a "how to" document to SM. (That document was also posted at RDNA at the time)
    Steve Cooper wrote the specs, and the Poser team coded it.

Congratulations, but how does the Fitting Room help with sceneries and props?
    I fear we're sliding again towards the old "[human figure] is the best and you're all idiots if you can't see it" debate...

(That been said, your proposal is interesting, I'd suggest you open a new thread about it, since it's likely to get lost in this ever-growing thread.)

• Poser Ambassadors

@rg5a said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

how much additional work is it to also make a "Poser 4" type version (just plain textures, no shaders) anyone could use?
    It's not like you'd have to re-rig a scenery...

That's actually not a good idea from an artist's perspective. Personally I don't want my content being displayed with outdated materials as that reflects back on the artist who made it and gives the impression they don't know what they're doing. It's better just not to make it than make it and it looks like crap, even if it has a modern equivalent somewhere else in another format.

That, and some scenery does have rigging, such as doors and windows in a house, or wheels on a vehicle, etc. There is often more work involved in making two versions of the same scene than just applying native format materials.

• It's funny because I've decided to switch my focus from making clothing for the figures to making props and sceneries. Now, I am also trying to include support for DS when i finally get this stuff figured out, but to be honest, I can understand how some vendors might think that supporting four different render engines can be ranter burdensome. Frankly, i'm having second thoughts about it myself and if I do support Studio, i may just have to pick one and live with it.

• @wfbp1w said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

As long Poser doesn’t support “DUF“ files without using DSON poser

That's never going to happen. Ever. If Daz left the old Poser file format and created endless problems for its users and vendors, it's to make a proprietary, closed system where they control everything. If they add DRM to their files (they have admitted they want to), how would that work in Poser, if Poser can read those files? Not at all, quite simply.
    You can't have files which are locked down in one app and freely hackable in the other, it defies the purpose.
    Daz wants a walled garden, Apple style, where they control everything. Which means they need to be in total control of the apps which use their content.

Forget Daz. This ship has sailed. The question is, what is left for Poser users? Is there anything left?

• @rg5a You know, for all of us busting ass to get Poser content out, these posts are really disheartening.

So, I guess, according to you we should all just shut off our computers and go outside and play, huh?

• @meshbox said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

I encourage you to search the 11 pages of Meshbox Design products on Content Paradise

Been there, bought that.
    Reminder: I've been around for over 10 years and for over 10 years I buy stuff every week... I have already explored all the obvious things. There might be a tiny shop which has escaped my attention so far, but that's all.

It's about new content I'm concerned.

Honestly speaking, neither Poser or DAZ Studio are ideal for large scenes.

Sure, Poser wasn't made for this; But it works quite well if you know just how far you can push it.

• @theschell said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

You can find my ships, aircraft and a number of my sci-fi creations under "theschell" through Vanishing Point over in the Content Paradise market... I do WW2 ships, Vietnam era Aircraft and the like...

Yes, I had already spotted your ships and airplanes over at CP. They make me want to do WW2 pictures... :-D
    Unfortunately I'm rather into contemporary and peaceful stuff.

• Poser Ambassadors

One of the reasons I started building my own content 12+ years ago was because I couldn't find what I needed in the stores. That's pretty much the main reason really. It was always almost but not quite there and I'd have to modify it either a little or a whole lot, and I had to learn how to do all of that pretty much on my own. That's how a lot of the content vendors got started I think. For me it became addictive and I started building more models than I actually used, because I just liked building the models. I'm not just trying to say "build it yourself" like a lot of others do, but it is an option, and you might even wind up with a lot of things you can put on the stores to fill the gaps you're finding. Poser seems to be geared more towards the diy'ers lately.

• @rg5a said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

Forget Daz. This ship has sailed. The question is, what is left for Poser users? Is there anything left?

Yes, I sincerely believe so. There's been a lot of good discussion in this thread, albeit the good comes with a healthy dose of dribble too. In regards to the thread title, the war isn't over by any means (if one chooses to even see it as a war in the first place). The content landscape is changing for a lot of reasons, but primarily due to technology advancing in the larger 3D world and the selling methodologies taken to protect profits. So much of the noise is nothing more than growing pains, imho. As uncomfortable as it may be, the only real answer may be to just keep creating and wait to see what others of like mind do. Poser is far more than just a content system.