Poser has lost the Content Wars...

• @AmbientShade said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@rg5a said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

how much additional work is it to also make a "Poser 4" type version (just plain textures, no shaders) anyone could use?
    It's not like you'd have to re-rig a scenery...

That's actually not a good idea from an artist's perspective. Personally I don't want my content being displayed with outdated materials as that reflects back on the artist who made it and gives the impression they don't know what they're doing.

Not at all, it's just like Stonemason releasing his sceneries in OBJ format. It's not like those OBJs have any elaborate shaders, and I wouldn't dream of doubting Stonemason's expertise because of that. It's a "better than nothing" version.

That, and some scenery does have rigging, such as doors and windows

Sure, but I sure hope you don't weight map doors and windows. You could rig them the "old" fashion, so they work everywhere.

It's just about allowing people to buy your product.

• @Glitterati3D said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

@rg5a You know, for all of us busting ass to get Poser content out, these posts are really disheartening.

Why? Because I said there is less and less Poser compatible sceneries and props released? Be so kind to explain.

• @rg5a Because you're unwilling to give us the opportunity to get it done.

As I said in my initial reply, a lot of turmoil has gone on in the Poser community over the last year and most of us are having to re-tool to work with the situation as is.

Like Ladonna posted....lots of vendors (and they are scenery vendors) are trying to figure it all out. We aren't even sure what store to put what product in at this point.

Burying a product in a place like Renderosity just means you're not likely to find it as a potential customer. Chuck has said they are re-tooling CP and some are waiting to see what that means exactly.

@rg5a Because you're unwilling to give us the opportunity to get it done.

As I said in my initial reply, a lot of turmoil has gone on in the Poser community over the last year and most of us are having to re-tool to work with the situation as is.

Like Ladonna posted....lots of vendors (and they are scenery vendors) are trying to figure it all out. We aren't even sure what store to put what product in at this point.

Burying a product in a place like Renderosity just means you're not likely to find it as a potential customer. Chuck has said they are re-tooling CP and some are waiting to see what that means exactly.

Hopefully that means they're going to get rid of the download expiration nonsense.

• @AmbientShade said in Poser has lost the Content Wars...:

I'm not just trying to say "build it yourself" like a lot of others do, but it is an option

Yes, I know, and as I said further up, I'm totally capable to make stuff myself, including clothing. It's just I don't like to. It's like washing the dishes...

Poser seems to be geared more towards the diy'ers lately.

Ow, that's nicely put!... :-D
    But you know, a "car geared towards mechanics" is deemed broken...
    The principle of Poser (since P3 at least) is you get the program, and then you get the items to use inside the program. If you have to distillate your own fuel, a car suddenly becomes much less attractive.

• @rg5a I'm sure you don't understand what's involved with getting an EXISTING product in a new store, but let me give you the steps involved. Maybe, then, you can understand that it's just not accomplished overnight.

1. Promo art work has to be re-done. Each store has their own sizes, styles and requirements.

2. Files have to be re-zipped after ReadMes are changed, the proper license file is appended and necessary changes are made.

3. The new store has to put the product through QA testing.

4. Any changes the new store requests have to be made, then back to step 1. Repeat until the product is ready to go in the store.

• @johndoe641 AND the poor quality products, too.

I can dream, yes?

@rg5a Because you're unwilling to give us the opportunity to get it done.

I'm "unwilling to give you the opportunity"? Isn't that a little harsh?...

Yes, but you never explained what this turmoil was.

We aren't even sure what store to put what product in at this point.

That is a point indeed, but IMHO a minor one: There are still a couple Poser stores out there, even if they aren't necessarily optimal. Renderosity going downhill, Hivewire and CGBytes are still niche, CP is fossilized, and so on, it's all been already mentioned. But there are brokers to sell your stuff.

Chuck has said they are re-tooling CP and some are waiting to see what that means exactly.

Well, according to the "The New Content Paradise" thread in this forum the store redesign might take some time, since they haven't even started thinking about what should be done yet.
    And anyway. Let's assume they release a spiffy shiny new store engine in the next week(s). What will it change? Will the buyers all of a sudden rush to buy the same content the old store had? No. A store lives by its content. Meaning that a good product released now will have as many chances as the same product post-redesign. At least for me. I don't visit a store to admire the interface, I visit it because I know I have a chance to find something interesting there.

• @rg5a No, not the least bit harsh. Let me quote your first post, in case you forgot.

"Am I really the only one annoyed about this? I sincerely hope so for Poser, because my own Poser times are over. I don't need the additional aggravation and frustration, I already have RL for this. So. Poser Pro 11 will be my last version.
    It has been 10 nice years with Poser, and I'd like to thank the people who made it possible."

So, clearly, you have no intention of letting anyone "get it done."

@rg5a I'm sure you don't understand what's involved with getting an EXISTING product in a new store

I do understand it better than you think. What I don't understand though, is what your point is. Is it that the demise of RDNA is the natural cause of the current lack of new Poser content? I don't think so. RDNA hosted a lot of quality content creators indeed, but not all of them. To put it differently, the demise of RDNA is not the reason Rendo doesn't release much Poser content anymore.

• @rg5a No, that's not why Rendo does so few Poser releases.

Rendo killed their own customer base with credit card hacks, pathetic website redesigns and tossing their customers out the door by saying "if you don't like it, move along."

Additionally, it has become all the newbies who haven't a clue what they are doing can put a product in the store at Rendo and bury everything else in junk that SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED AS A FREEBIE until they learned some rigging skills.

I quit vendoring at Rendo specifically because of this - tired of seeing my stuff buried in junk. Didn't want my producst associated with it.

But, really, you've said your done with Poser so I really don't understand what you are trying to "debate" at this point in time.

If anyone is being harsh, it's you - kicking sand in our drinks on your way out the door, just because you can.

So, clearly, you have no intention of letting anyone "get it done."

Oh this.
    Yes, you're right, I don't. I've been "letting it get done" for several years, and the trend is clear: Poser content is going the way of the Dodo. It started way before RDNA closed, and there is no rational reason why it should get better. Just because CP changes colors?

For too long I've been waiting and hoping and telling myself it's just a difficult moment and things will improve, soon.

• @rg5a I hope you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

• @rg5a

Let me pop in here and say a few things. What was pointed out about moving existing content from one store to another is true. You cant just pop it into another store and call it a day at every store. It doesn't work that way.

How do I know this? That's not too hard to figure out.

If your going to leave Poser, everything you have brought up is a moot point. None of it matters a bit.
    Poser has not lost the content war, because it was never really in it to begin with.
    Last time I checked Poser still comes with gobs of content to play around with, tutorials on how it all works, and has community support so others can learn , in depth, how it all works.

Yes it is great to have new and shiny content, but threads like this are one of the reason you don't see that content. People have been predicting the demise of Poser for all but 20 years, and it is still here.
    Many of the vendors left were fearing the rumors were true. But they were just rumors, spread by threads just like this. There is also the side that followed the money, which ironically is because even after all the threads that say "Someone make this" very few people actually bought it.

The mindset of Poser lost, is nothing more than a way a bashing it into that state one thread at a time.
    Which ironically, is outlined in just about every TOS on the planet.
    Tread carefully.

@rg5a No, that's not why Rendo does so few Poser releases.

Rendo killed their own customer base with credit card hacks, pathetic website redesigns and tossing their customers out the door by saying "if you don't like it, move along."

That is true (given I'm a frequent buyer my own card was hacked 3 times in a row at Rendo), but not the reason Poser content gets rare. If the problem were just less customers, there would still have the same Poser/Studio content ratio.

But, really, you've said your done with Poser so I really don't understand what you are trying to "debate" at this point in time.

I said I'm done with Poser, not with debating... :o)

If anyone is being harsh, it's you - kicking sand in our drinks on your way out the door, just because you can.

"Kicking sand in your drinks", really? So you prefer sitting there in eternal self-congratulation in the happy happy world of Poser?
    I am kicking the anthill, repeatedly, in the hope the ants will move at last. But apparently none is willing or able, so I'm just confirmed in my impression that Poser is as good as dead. It just hasn't fully realized it yet.

Bye, and thanks for all the fish.

• @rg5a So, you're admitting you just came here to stir up shit and kick sand in our drinks.

Thanks for confirming what we all knew from the getgo.

Like Scott said, folks have been predicting the demise of Poser for years. You're just the latest who is wrong again.

Toodles. Enjoy yourself.

• @rg5a Wow. So all of this has been with the declared intent to disrupt and damage without any desire to be a part of positive change? R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S! Not cool, man. Not cool.

• This topic is now locked. The OP's intentions are clear, and that is not what these forums are for.