Superfly cloudy eyes

• I just got PP 11 and am working out how to get stuff to look decent in Superfly mode. I downloaded EZSkin 3 and use that for the skin shaders. I've never liked how it made the eyes look so I always used my own shaders for the eyes. See attached photos.

In Firefly I make the cornea and tear completely transparent with no reflections and I have reflections on the eye surface. Starting from scratch in Superfly I have made the cornea, tear and eye surface completely transparent to start out but there is something going on like light not transmitting through these parts and it makes the iris, pupil and sclera look cloudy.0_1466360850791_Maggy both lights.jpg 0_1466360865461_PP11 test 1.jpg

• Hi there

I assume you are used EZ Skin 3 on eyes,if yes then I would remove all nodes from eye surface,pupil,cornea etc and apply stock material and if you want reflection on eye then best way how to do it will be through the Physical Surface

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• Here is quick render

alt text

and Eye Surface material

alt text

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11 said in Superfly cloudy eyes:

Hi there

I assume you are used EZ Skin 3 on eyes,if yes then I would remove all nodes from eye surface,pupil,cornea etc and apply stock material and if you want reflection on eye then best way how to do it will be through the Physical Surface

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hey Jura

thanks for the reply.
    I thought I had stripped down the mats to there basic but found two things. 1) there sometimes is a superfly node hiding underneath the firefly node and the little check boxes at the top of the nodes can do strange stuff to the textures if checked the wrong way.

I went over the mats again and was able to sort them out. Now I have to deal with lights. My firefly renders seem to be lit ok but needs gobs of extra light to work in Superfly. I'll take a look at some tutes and the manual.

• I found out that you can keep all the EZSkin3 materials as they are, except for the Eye Surface, which you have to set to the physical shader that jura11 described above. Works like a charm.
    Thanks a lot for the advice!

• @grubendol said in Superfly cloudy eyes:

I found out that you can keep all the EZSkin3 materials as they are, except for the Eye Surface, which you have to set to the physical shader that jura11 described above. Works like a charm.

I have to blank out the tear and cornea still with EZS3. Never used the tear...not once.LOL

• @ghostship said in Superfly cloudy eyes:

@jura11 said in Superfly cloudy eyes:

Hi there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hey Jura

thanks for the reply.
    I thought I had stripped down the mats to there basic but found two things. 1) there sometimes is a superfly node hiding underneath the firefly node and the little check boxes at the top of the nodes can do strange stuff to the textures if checked the wrong way.

I went over the mats again and was able to sort them out. Now I have to deal with lights. My firefly renders seem to be lit ok but needs gobs of extra light to work in Superfly. I'll take a look at some tutes and the manual.

Hi there
    I sometimes just use blank material for eye surface and tear,for tear usually I'm leaving blank and for Eye Surface this depends what I want to achieve,if I want bit of reflection then I use Physical Surface which works for me

Yes agree sometimes is material hidden underneath the SF or FF material and you need to have look on those mats,regarding the materials,always check if there is anisotropic which can cause some issues down the road and mainly check log regarding the issues with the materials

And lights,I use mostly BB EnvSphere and lights depends,usually 3 point light setup works for me,sometimes I use 4 light as key/fill light,you need to bit experiment with lights like everyone do,I can upload my light setup and you can try to use that,but I strongly suggest play with the lights and use progressive rendering

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @grubendol said in Superfly cloudy eyes:

I found out that you can keep all the EZSkin3 materials as they are, except for the Eye Surface, which you have to set to the physical shader that jura11 described above. Works like a charm.

Yes agree Physical shader or surface works great on eye in my view,EZ Skin is great plugin,I wouldn't be without the EZSkin

Thanks,Jura

• I know it's OT, but Bagginsbill did a great tutorial on Superfly studio lighting over at RDNA. Search for the thread by amethystpendant called Area lights, started on 3rd January. This quick render (with added fog) illustrates the light positions used in the tutorial. It may not be clear that the middle light is a hair light (just above the model's head) which I had slightly out of position.

I think this tutorial needs to be reproduced somewhere, soon...

0_1466705146170_00 Studio setup.jpg

• Alright, yes this is a year old post sorry about that, but I thought it would just be easier to bump this one instead of creating a new one and poorly explaining my issue since the posts and images already here.

I see jura's image of that physicalnode thing, I don't understand where that's supposed to go. I also don't have a "Eye Surface" on Miki4. I have Cornea R/L, Eyeball R/L, Iris R/L and pupil R/L. I think another problem is the node setup is now overly complex with all the stuff ezskin 3 did to the eyes, there's just so many nodes and lines connecting everything. I don't know what to keep or get rid of.

Is that physicalnode thingy supposed to just stay not connected to anything? WTF do I do with it.

The material room has always confused the hell out of me and I don't understand any of it and I doubt I ever will. Any advise you give, please dumb it down. lol

Sorry about the bump. D:

• Poser Ambassadors

@johndoe641 When you take in count that the material room is based on mathematics/physic , maybe you find more easy your rope.
    Observe real materials and their behavior and why they look like this and try to reproduce this in the material room.
    Go step by step . Blender material encyclopedia is a great start, they explain for what each node stands and how they behave . At last at the beginning this is a lot of try and error , but not impossible :)

• @johndoe641 hey! this thread of mine was soon after getting P11. I have since made some imho great eye shaders for V4 that also work great for other figures. Here is the thread with links and rendered examples.

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2162/new-gen4-superfly-eye-shaders

• @johndoe641 said in Superfly cloudy eyes:

Alright, yes this is a year old post sorry about that, but I thought it would just be easier to bump this one instead of creating a new one and poorly explaining my issue since the posts and images already here.

I see jura's image of that physicalnode thing, I don't understand where that's supposed to go. I also don't have a "Eye Surface" on Miki4. I have Cornea R/L, Eyeball R/L, Iris R/L and pupil R/L. I think another problem is the node setup is now overly complex with all the stuff ezskin 3 did to the eyes, there's just so many nodes and lines connecting everything. I don't know what to keep or get rid of.

Is that physicalnode thingy supposed to just stay not connected to anything? WTF do I do with it.

The material room has always confused the hell out of me and I don't understand any of it and I doubt I ever will. Any advise you give, please dumb it down. lol

Sorry about the bump. D:

Hi there

I would use this on Cornea Left and Right,I would remove all nodes attached to Cornea Left and Right and check as well Pupil Left and Right as well,but Cornea R/L should be enough

My PC is in pieces as I'm moving and can't post render or screenshot,hopefully will have more time during tonight and will do test render on spare brother PC

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @johndoe641 said in Superfly cloudy eyes:

Remove all the nodes (aside from the PoserSurface node) that ezskin3 added, then add the PoserPhysicalSurface node and set things up so they are exactly like they are in the picture.

• @johndoe641 Hi johndoe. I just want to mention one thing. Keep in mind that Superfly reflects without the kludges and fixes we're used to in Firefly.

So, the first problem you are having is that Superfly is reflecting the white Construct in every eye material that has a specular setting in it.

Solve problem #1 before you try to move onto the other minor issues you're having with the actual light reflection on those surfaces - use the Blackout materials provided by Poser on the Construct. Then, see what eye reflections you really have to fix.

I still have trouble with eyes when I put a light in front of the figure because now Superfly reflects the light itself. Those square area lights P11 is so fond of look awful in eye reflections, LOL.