Is a detailled breakdown of rendering memory available in Poser?

• I've taken the opportunity of the Poser sale to upgrade from Poser 11 to Poser 11 Pro to make use of my Nvidia graphics card with GPU rendering. I have surmised from reading these and other forums that the 'rendering memory' used by SuperFly needs to stay clear of the limit imposed by the graphics card's memory (in my case 4GB). Helpfully, the Message Log provides some information about the 'rendering memory' used by SuperFly but it's not particularly detailled.

By decreasing the resolution of textures in the out of focus areas of my render, I was able to bring the rendering memory down from 3400 MB to 2800 MB, and then further down by hiding objects and elements not in view. Those are the easy places to reduce memory, but I'm not sure where to look next.

My question is thus: is there an option to see a detailled breakdown of the rendering memory used by SuperFly? Perhaps grouped by object or figure? And is there a sort of rule of thumb for relating this information to the bucket size?

Thanks.

• The impact of bucket size on rendering memory in SuperFly is much less sever than what it is for FireFly. Within limit, SuperFly in Poser is capable of offloading some textures to system RAM instead of GPU RAM when space is tight. We are working on improving to allow for even larger scenes with limited GPU memory and reducing the overall GPU memory usage. More detailed stats is a good suggestion, until then, as a rule of thumb, you can assume that HDRI textures require 16 bytes per pixel, other textures 4 bytes per pixel. For geometry, the rule of thumb isn't as easy, as the data structures for ray tracing is not only dependent on the number of polygons but also on their size and location.

• @adosity : you may find Open Hardware monitor useful. Although it can't distinguish between different applications' usage, it can monitor GPU memory and graph it over time, along with other quantities such as temperature. If you're working your PC hard, I recommend it!

• @stefan said in Is a detailled breakdown of rendering memory available in Poser?:

As a rule of thumb, you can assume that HDRI textures require 16 bytes per pixel, other textures 4 bytes per pixel. For geometry, the rule of thumb isn't as easy, as the data structures for ray tracing is not only dependent on the number of polygons but also on their size and location.

Thanks for the descriptive answer. I imagine that given such complications it'd be quite difficult, if not impossible, to give a Windows Task Manager-like breakdown of the memory used by different objects and models.

I've been having some success reducing the memory used by reducing the resolution of textures used by objects and figures that appear in the background or out of focus. I suppose that's general practise for the more experienced users, though!

@englishbob said in Is a detailled breakdown of rendering memory available in Poser?:

@adosity : you may find Open Hardware monitor useful.

Thanks, I've had a look at that and it's nice to see the numbers for my graphics card. Poser's Event Log obviously gives a number for memory used as well, but it's interesting to see it in real time, especially as it shows the total numbers. For example, a 200 MB scene of a basic figure still showed a 20% use of my 4GB card. Perhaps that will be helpful in resolving potential issues should they appear. Either way, it's another tool in the box!

• Actually I found reducing the size of the texture increased memory usage. I posted about this earlier on this forum and got no replies. **

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.