Can't create a figure without deforming geometry

• So I'm using Poser Pro 11. I'm trying to create a piece of conforming clothing, but Poser seems dead set against me doing this. I have an obj file of the geometry that I can import into Poser. When I do so, I get this
    :alt text
    It is in the correct position and fits without poke through.

Next I turn it into a figure. I've tried doing this both through the Setup and Fitting Room. Either way, as soon as prop becomes a figure I get this:
    alt text
    For reasons I can't fathom poke through is created. The same poke through every time (or at least so close I can't tell the difference).
    Now here's where it gets fun. I found out by accident that if on the body of the figure I uncheck a box called Bend, it reverts to what I expect it to look like. Here's an example:
    alt text

Poke through is gone, seems great, until I go and try and adjust the weight mapping. When this Bend box is unchecked any changes I make to the weight mapping, no longer apply. As soon as I check the box again, they reapply, but then I get the original poke through issues back as well.

So why does this poke through show up whenever I make a figure, and how do I stop it, but also be able to correctly adjust the weight mapping on my armband? And what is that Bend box really doing? (searching through the Poser manual for the term Bend, seems a little futile.)

• Well, the odds are your original geometry is a bit snug in that spot and when the rigged figure gets conformed it pops through.

It would be easier for us to help if you could:

1. Load your geometry without any rigging into the zero pose one the arm and render it.
    2. Remove the textures and go into wireframe mode so we can see the wireframe on the rigged object.

Bend, is bend.....without that checked your geometry will not be allowed to bend with the figure. Think about it in terms of props - say you have a sword you saved as a figure. You don't want that to bend.

• @Glitterati3D hmm, sounds like maybe the main thing I need to do is loosen the geometry. The very first image I posted is the geometry loaded with zero rigging.

The actually mesh, is hard to see on it's own, because there are actually some layers to it so it can be hard to see what's going on. In fact I hid two of the material layers to make things easier to see. I may start by simply making it looser and see what happens.

• Quick question, you turn it into a figure but do you conform it after that? You didn't mention if you did or not

• I just add adjustment morphs using morph brush after conforming and testing for movement. It's better than tearing hair out wondering why the mesh is behaving oddly.

• @Teyon said in Can't create a figure without deforming geometry:

Quick question, you turn it into a figure but do you conform it after that? You didn't mention if you did or not

Good point. The issue appears before I conform, but it get's worse after conforming.

@ibr_remote said in Can't create a figure without deforming geometry:

I just add adjustment morphs using morph brush after conforming and testing for movement. It's better than tearing hair out wondering why the mesh is behaving oddly.

I thought about that, in fact I've tried doing that. I know how to make a JCM for when I've applied something like a twist, I just don't know how to make one for it's zeroed state. When I've tried making one, and then doing the weight mapping, it seems to create issue later on. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

• If it gets worse there's a couple of thoughts I've had. Did you use a pre-existing rig for the prop or did you create it from scratch. If you used a pre-existing rig, do you know if that rig was zeroed first? If not, there's a chance whatever the rig was in initially is interfering with conforming. Otherwise I don't know. I'd have to see it/try it myself to see if I could tell you where things are going askew. That said, a fit morph would likely resolve the issue if not the underlying problem.

• @Teyon hmm, good point. Yes I did use a preexisting rig. In this case the clothing resource for the figure Dusk, which although I would assume it would be zeroes, maybe it isn't.

• So just in case anyone ever has a similar issue, I figure it out more or less. The thing that was causing the poke through was the bulge maps. I cleared them all out (set everything to zero) and it was much better. Then I carefully added the few I needed back in.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.