Why is it so hard to Select in the Pose Room

• Poser Ambassadors

I think the OP demonstrated awareness of all these other alternatives.

The point is - those are more work than point and click, and really there's no justification for it.

• Poser Ambassadors

Oh, dear, I must be tired as hell. :-)

• @bagginsbill Oh I understand, it's just what I've gotten used to, and though it make take longer, I find it less frustrating.

• @ghostship said in Why is it so hard to Select in the Pose Room:

@bagginsbill fast tracking works as well.

You cracked it ghostship! It's the fast tracking boxes that influence the selection.
    The highlight and selection upon click is about 10-15 pixels away from the edge of the box regardless of which tracking mode we're in.

0_1516937590502_boxed.jpg

The boxes influence eachother's selectability but Poser is smart enough to select the head of a character based on the same rule as selecting the hair which overlaps the head. Same thing is true for selecting the eyes within the 'box' of head.

But the most precise selection is smack in the middle of the body part! Not based on the center of the geometry, but the center of the object as seen from the camera's POV.

Pro tip: highlight the body part you wanna select, aim for the middle of it and click with confidence!

Happy selecting!

• @ElZagna said in Why is it so hard to Select in the Pose Room:

... There must be a reason for this, but for the life of me, I can't guess what it is.

At least one simple reason: if a character's body parts are covered by clothing, and the body part needs to be selected, a well placed click is much faster then selecting the body part from the hierarchy window, or worst still, having to turn off the clothing to select the body part.

• @krios said in Why is it so hard to Select in the Pose Room:

At least one simple reason: if a character's body parts are covered by clothing, and the body part needs to be selected, a well placed click is much faster then selecting the body part from the hierarchy window, or worst still, having to turn off the clothing to select the body part.

Or just right click and choose from the pop-up menu.

So regardless of the thinking behind the developers' decision to do it the way they did, and regardless of the alternative methods of selecting an object, the consensus seems to be that the Material Room eye dropper approach - see it, click it, done - is the preferred approach with perhaps an option setting in Preferences for animators. Is anyone from SM watching this?

• I just have to add my 2-rupees worth:-

I have found it very tricky trying to click and select the InnerMatSphere and the OuterMatSphere in the Pose room. It is quite a high art to achieve (pardon the pun).

• Don't know if it works for you, but have a look ad Dizzie's Hampelman, you can find it in the Rendo Freestuff. It's a Python script which allows you to select body parts via buttons, like you can do with Power Pose in DAZ. It's just not so goog looking and new figures need new templates. I should make a ZIP with my templates, I have most of the actual figures covered.

For me, it's way better than selecting the body parts in the Scene.

• What is mostly overlooked (probably because most other figures are almost impossible to pose with the mouse) is that you can pose SASHA-16 very easily and effectively by just selecting a body part and dragging it with the mouse, without fucking up the whole pose.

With this simple and intuitive method I can pose the fingers of a hand in less than a minute, with utmost precision! The same goes for posing the head & neck, torso, the legs, feet and toes, and arms and hands of course.

The only prerequisite is that one can click and hold the body part to drag it in any direction.

All of the methods suggested in the previous posts make this next to impossible, and for me it's one of the major annoyances in Poser that it's made impossible by this particular Poser "feature". Instead I have to resort to click through several drop-down menus and then spin sluggish dials like some twenty years ago.

And the argument that the reason for this handling atrocity is to ease the (occasional) picking of objects hidden behind the actual, foremost element is moot IMO:

How often do you really need to pick an element that is hidden behind and you thus can't even see - versus - you just want to pick the hand in front of you (instead of anything else that may be hidden behind it)?

If you must, than make it an option in the preferences.
    But please please with cherry on top: let me just simply select the element that is visible right in front in the preview, the one that is under the mouse cursor!

Karina

• @karina said in Why is it so hard to Select in the Pose Room:

What is mostly overlooked (probably because most other figures are almost impossible to pose with the mouse) ...

Are you sure about that Karina? How else would you pose them? Posing in Poser could be tricky for the uninitiated, especially forward kinematics and dragging on certain body parts to adjust others. And let's not get started with auto balance, because it's not for the faint at heart. But posing with the mouse is just fine, so long as the experience and understanding is there ;]

Believe me, animating with dials would not be very effective, it's all in the mouse, or preferably in the digital pen (more natural).

• I feel Mr. El Lasagna's frustration.

I think there should be a very easy option to click/unclick saying "Select part only from current actor". Then you unclick that to select another actor.

I dunno it's only me, but I typically pose one actor, then I switch to another, then I pose that one. So when I'm posing actor "A" it makes no sense the thing will select actor "B" that is behind that one.

By the way, I really would like to pull the ears and nose of the jabberwocki that came with the idea that when you are painting something in the morph room it may select another actor. That's insane!!! What in the heck of another world would anyone switch actors when selecting vertexes or applying a brush in the morph/group window? Absolutely horrible idea, and every time that happens with me I curse the grandfather of who came with it. Group/morph/hair window - don't switch actors on me!!!!

• @fbs7 said in Why is it so hard to Select in the Pose Room:

I dunno it's only me, but I typically pose one actor, then I switch to another, then I pose that one. So when I'm posing actor "A" it makes no sense the thing will select actor "B" that is behind that one.

Words of wisdom right there folks! If a prop, character, or even a body part is not being worked on, it has no business being in the scene.
    Here's a good example:

0_1517339863943_V4sLarm.jpg

V4 is standing behind Terai Yuki. She has already been minimized, and yet the center point of her left arm is smack behind Yuki's head, making it hard to select it intuitively (not with some workaround drop down menus). So it (V4's left arm) too has no business being in the scene.

Don't blame the brush if you can't wield it!