Morph Creation Question

• Hi,

I want to create a morph so that when V4 is sitting, her glutes and thighs are flattened. However if i export the relevant body parts when she is in a siting position the moph includes the bends of the thighs etc. Is there a way to subtract the bends from the resulting morph so that all I get is the flattening of the legs? (I use Blender for my morphs)

Amanda

• Poser Ambassadors

Question1: Did you see my video1 in the Poser2Blender2Poser series on YouTube?

REMARK1 : Exporting from Poser leaves you with individually complete but unwelded vertex groups. (All vertex at all welds have doubles.)

To create morphs? Always load the ORIGINAL figure obj file in Blender using the import and export options you can find in the video1.

Lucky => The original V4 obj file is properly welded. :-)

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters Maybe you missed that she wanted to make a morph in a sitting position?
    In other words export the obj in a sitting position. Using the default zeroed obj does not cut it for this.

• @Ghostman said in Morph Creation Question:

@vilters Maybe you missed that she wanted to make a morph in a sitting position?
    In other words export the obj in a sitting position. Using the default zeroed obj does not cut it for this.

Exactly, I can't do a standard morph I need it to to be applied on top of bends

• Poser Ambassadors

@amethystpendant Did you try to do it with the Morph Brush?

• @Ghostman said in Morph Creation Question:

@amethystpendant Did you try to do it with the Morph Brush?

I did but I can't get the same sort of control with the morph brush as I can with the tools in blemder :(

• Is there not a mathematical way to subtract the deltas of one morph to another leaving only the resultant deltas, something that could be scripted?

• Poser Ambassadors

well no matter what Tony say just export the posed obj and then import it again as a FBM
    It's been working well doing it like that for several years so why not now.

• @amethystpendant said in Morph Creation Question:

Is there a way to subtract the bends from the resulting morph so that all I get is the flattening of the legs?

Yes. Apply your morph as morph A, but also apply your original export as morph B. Then set morph A to 1, and morph B to -1. The result should be your morph without the bends. Then spawn a new morph target for each body part. You can delete the original two if you want to be tidy.

It's not guaranteed, but I've used this technique successfully in less extreme situations.

• Poser Ambassadors

@Ghostman
    Tja Ghostman. you are right "It works".
    But that's not good enough for me because you end up with unwelded obj files. => An absolute "not-done" in my book.

"Unwelded" is the cause of most "end user" problems.
    They start morphing, they take it through the fitting room or cloth room, and then wonder where all the cracks are coming from and get frustrated. => Tja, the default answer is simple : Too many vendors release Unwelded obj files.

• @englishbob said in Morph Creation Question:

Yes. Apply your morph as morph A, but also apply your original export as morph B. Then set morph A to 1, and morph B to -1. The result should be your morph without the bends. Then spawn a new morph target for each body part. You can delete the original two if you want to be tidy.

It's not guaranteed, but I've used this technique successfully in less extreme situations.

I will give that a go! I'm hoping this isn't too extreme ;)

@vilters said in Morph Creation Question:

@Ghostman
    Tja Ghostman. you are right "It works".
    But that's not good enough for me because you end up with unwelded obj files. => An absolute "not-done" in my book.

"Unwelded" is the cause of most "end user" problems.
    They start morphing, they take it through the fitting room or cloth room, and then wonder where all the cracks are coming from and get frustrated. => Tja, the default answer is simple : Too many vendors release Unwelded obj files.

I know, but everything I do is dynamic cloth, I have never transfered a morph, or for that matter used the fitting room, I'm not subjecting V4 to the cloth room so it probably won't be a problem ;)

• @amethystpendant said in Morph Creation Question:

@englishbob said in Morph Creation Question:

I will give that a go! I'm hoping this isn't too extreme ;)

I think I steered you wrong there, actually. Because the thighs are going to be bent roughly -90 degrees, the morph you get with my method will be 90 degrees out once the limb is straightened. Sorry if I raised your hopes. :( I agree there must be a mathematical way to correct the deltas, but I'm not sure how. Maybe if you bent the thigh exactly -90 degrees, you could swap the Y and Z deltas. 8)

In this situation my solution would have to involve the morph brush... It's worth getting to grips with, if only for situations like these where you want to tweak a posed actor.

• @englishbob @amethystpendant

The mathematical algorithm is in the concept of pre-transform morph vs post-transform morph :

In poser 11 :

1. pose your character with morphs dialed
    2. Use the morph tool to create your new morph (create a new one, choose a name and "Apply pre-Transform" unchecked must be unchecked) !
    3. when finished, select your figure, go to menu Edit->Memorize->Figure
    4. go to menu windows->Joint editor-> click zero figure
    5. check on Body and Hip, that translations x,y and z are to 0
    6. select your new created morph on the body part of your figure in the property windows-> right click on the little triangle on the right of the morph dial, select "convert to pre-transfom morph ..."
    7. select your figure, go to menu Edit->Restore->Figure

Now just dial your new dial to 1 on the body to check if all is ok with your pose and morphs

• your morph will be compatible with other posers versions.

• @englishbob Okay, I'll not bother trying that then, but thanks :)

@barnardino The point is I don't want to use the morph brush I want to do it in an external app but thanks for the info :)

Amanda

• @amethystpendant Ok, but even with an external app, it's still linked to pre-transform / post-transform morphs conversion. It's a bit long to explain howto do it but as fast workflow description :

1. you have to note all the value of the morphs / roatation / translation you dialed and memorize the figure (use point 3 in my previous workflow description)
    2. export you posed figure w/ morphs dialed as obj.2)
    3. Modify you figure in your app and reimport it in poser as morph target of the you "zeroed" figure (= fresh new figure w/o any morph rotations, translations ->Menu->Figure->Zero figure)
    4. dial all your morphs + rotation / translation in negative way to get your a "zeroed figure", the only morph that wil still appear is your new morph, convert your morph as post-transform
    5. redial your negated morphs and rotation / translation dials to normal (use point 7 of my previous worflow description)
    6. convert your new morph to pre-transform
    7. Done.

I wrote this in a row, so i'm not sure all is ok, but the idea is here.

• @barnardino many thanks, and it makes perfect sense, basically do as little pre export changes as possible to reduce the amount of post changes. Will let you know how I get on!

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.