Poser and Unity/UnrealEngine/iClone/SFM/etc.

• This thread isn't intended to be about Poser versus other programs, but rather using Poser alongside one or more of these programs, working in either direction. All of the programs listed use similar PBR materials, except for Source Filmmaker which is more comparable to the previous generation of games. It is possible to convert Poser characters to all of these programs, and it's also possible to get figures and models made for each of these programs into Poser. As all of these programs primarily use the GPU for rendering they are (in most cases) able to render images faster than Firefly/Superfly, and at a higher quality than Poser's viewport/OpenGL renderer. Some users may be interested in using Poser for creating content for use in-game, while others might be looking to speed up animation rendering, or simply wish to explore the possibilities of animating in a more dynamic WYSIWYG world.

Many users would like to know how difficult it is to move from Poser to a real-time environment, which engine is best for which purposes, how our materials will be affected, how severely the high poly characters many of us use will affect the performance of engines optimized for specific types of content, etc.

I'm hoping those who have worked with both Poser and any one of these other programs will take the time to share with the rest of the community any observations, tips or tricks, and/or cautions relating to their workflow.

• I asked a similiar question on experience with Unreal - unfortunately no answer. BTW there is also Blender, but since it is free I am not sure about the quality.
    Concerning Unity I tried it some years ago. I think Poser made a video tutorial on how to downsize etc., that works great.
    Though had some issues with the hair as a separate item, but otherwise the animation worked fine.
    Though the workflow for splitting up the animation for keyboardcontrol was not impressive, I think it is still pretty much the same.

• @mikael Actually I'm taking a very detailed class at Udemy to get my Blender skills more up-to-date, and the same group also teach classes for Unity and Unreal, and I believe most of the folks taking those classes (I'm not and don't plan to), took the Blender class first to learn how to model assets for use in creating games for those game engines.

• Poser Team

I use Blender a lot with Poser. The new live preview in the 2.8 alpha builds is amazing.

You can make content, morphs, props, etc and see what they will look like live.
    Blender has its own game engine as well, although I am not sure how much use people get out of it.

0_1517195751222_2.8 live preview.jpg

• @shvrdavid I usually shy away from alpha builds of software, but I've heard about the live preview, and it's quite exciting to think it'll be able to do that.

• Thx, both perhaps I should give Blender a chance too.
    How hard is it to make animation for walking, running etc., I mean animation for controls? Unreal has a nice blending tool.

BTW: Do you still need a pro version to use characters for gaming?

• @shvrdavid said in Poser and Unity/UnrealEngine/iClone/SFM/etc.:

Blender has its own game engine as well, although I am not sure how much use people get out of it.

0_1517195751222_2.8 live preview.jpg

It has been an afterthought for a while, but looks set to get some much needed attention according to the roadmap:
    "With work being done on threaded drawing and updates, viewport (compositing) effects, unified physics, node based animation, and everything that”s currently real-time in Blender already, I also propose to refocus the current game engine to re-use much more of this work.

Or more radically worded: I propose to make the GE to become a real part of Blender code – to make it not separated anymore. This would make it more supported, more stable and (I”m sure) much more fun to work on as well.

Instead of calling it the “GE” we would just put Blender in “Interaction mode”. Topics to think of:

Integrate the concept of “Logic” in the animation system itself. Rule or behavior based animation is a great step forward for animation as well (like massive anims, or for extras).
    Support of all Blender physics.
    Optimizing speed for interactive playback will then also benefit regular 3d editing (and vice versa)
    Singular Python API for logic scripting
    Ensure good I/O integration with external game engines, similar to render engines.

What should then be dropped is the idea to make Blender have an embedded “true” game engine. We should acknowledge that we never managed to make something with the portability and quality of Unreal or Crysis… or even Unity3D. And Blender”s GPL license is not helping here much either.

On the positive side – I think that the main cool feature of our GE is that it was integrated with a 3D tool, to allow people to make 3D interaction for walkthroughs, for scientific sims, or game prototypes. If we bring back this (original) design focus for a GE, I think we still get something unique and cool, with seamless integration of realtime and “offline” 3D."

• Well, I'd intentionally hoped to leave blender out of the discussion. Being a full featured program there are many more options for working alongside Poser, starting with exporting just the figure's mesh object and re-rigging with bones and muscles, creating hair, and setting up all new Cycles materials all inside blender. Maybe just as interesting would be how to get characters created using the blender plug-in ManuelBastioniLAB out of blender and into Poser (http://www.manuelbastioni.com/manuellab.php). For going from Poser to blender there was a blender extension called "Poser Tools" at www.blender3dclub.com, but that site seems to be down now. Anyone know where they've been moved to and/or if they are still being worked on?

Back on topic, here's a video overview of Poser Unreal Portal's features, one of the main inspirations for this thread:

And for those who assume they'd need to be some kind of programmer to take full advantage of Unreal Engine's versatility, you are right. Fortunately for non-coders, Unreal Engine includes "Blueprint", a visual (think Poser's material room) scripting editor:

An earlier version of Blueprint was called "Kismet", and is impressively demonstrated here:

And if anyone wants to finally make "NVIATWAS: The Game", here's a melee combat system constructed in Blueprint and available in the Unreal Engine marketplace:

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.