Creating halftone from a gradient layer?

• Does anyone know if this is possible in MS5Ex? Thanks. I find it easier to just do my tones on one layer and then just convert it. I was able to do this in Photoshop and thought it would be just as easy, if not easier, but apparently it's not, as far as I could see.

• It's pretty easy. Go to the Tool Property Layer and click the Tone effect button.

• Cool, Thanks! That works pretty well but it changes the layer to just black and white. Any way to stop that from happening and just having it use the color that's there already?

• The only way I know to do that is to duplicate the layer and Clip the top duplicate layer to the layer below. Then use the Tone effect on the layer below and set the Density for the Tones in the Layer Property Palette to Use Brightness of Image.

• @garlam Well, if I'm happy with the gradient, then I can just rasterize the layer, lock the transparency and then fill in the color over the layer. Just seems weird that there's no option to use the color that was there. Thanks again! You've been really helpful!

• There's no need to rasterize the halftone just to lock the transparent pixels. When you switch the density of the tone to Use Brightness of Image the white background area of the tone becomes transparent. If you have a photo or painting with many colors on it, clipping a copy of that color layer to the tone layer will make the tone dots colored.
    If you are only going to use one solid color to replace the black tone dots you can just click the Layer Color Effect button to right of the Tone Effect button. Then with the preferred color as your main drawing color, click onto the blue layer color box. The color will change.

In either case, the tone layer remains editable (unlike a rasterized tone layer).

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.