FBX Export

• Okay so I just emailed support but thought I'd ask here too.

Using Poser Pro 11.1.0.34764

Two issues with FBX export (I am taking the FBX files to Unity):

1. When exporting figures with texture atlases the transparency maps (part of the texture atlas) do not retain transparency. So transparency maps can't be included with the atlases and have to be exported separately.

2. When exporting props, no materials are ever exported regardless of the options chosen. This includes the prop content provided with Poser. This makes FBX export useless for props.

Has anyone success with either prop export or figures with transparency maps?

TIA

Ade

• @ader42 I probably shouldn't bother to comment, since I've not used Unity or FBX, but what exactly are you implying with "the transparency maps do not retain transparency"? Did they have it beforehand and now don't post-FBX-export?

Are you referring instead, to Alpha channels, which Poser doesn't use (even though alpha support has commenced in the latest versions of 32-bit PNG export, I seem to remember reading there's nothing being saved in the alpha channel yet). In Poser, no matter what file format is used (certainly JPG and PNG, as I never use TIFF), flat image maps used for transparency mapping are not inherently transparent, as a PSP or Photoshop image might be, but use black pixels for transparency and white for opacity, with graduations between those extremes.

Again, apologies for answering with questions.

• Hi anomalaus (and others),

Yes I am referring to Alpha Channels.

Here's a fuller explanation:

Exporting Victoria4.2 base.
    With the default Unity FBX Export preset and no texture atlas the eyelashes map is a tif with transparency.
    In Unity, this sort of but not quite works as is.
    To get it to work correctly one has to (in Unity) extract the materials and then modify the eyelash material, turning the setting from transparent to fade. Then it looks correct.
    This preset uses the "bake transparency to diffuse texture alpha" option which without using an atlas ensures the resulting file has transparency (e.g. tif not jpg).
    Poser inverts the original black and white image, then makes the white background transparent which leaves black where the lashes are. *We will come back to this process at the end.

When using the Texture Atlas option, the V4SmplLashesTrDIFFUSE_V4SmplLashesTr.tif image is still a separate image and not part of the atlas.Again this is due to the "bake transparency to diffuse texture alpha" option.

If I use texture atlases but turn off "bake transparency to diffuse texture alpha" then I do get the lashes in the texture atlas. But there is no transparency in the atlas and if I extract the materials (in Unity) from the embedded textures the lashes texture does not have transparency.

If I then go and edit the atlas in photoshop so that the part of the texture atlas for the eyelashes does have transparency then I can tell that it would have worked in Unity if Poser had exported a texture atlas with transparency. I edit the atlas by inverting the area so white becomes black and then clearing the white so it is transparent.

So if Poser created a texture atlas that included transparency using the technique shown with an * above then it would all be fine and I believe this is what Poser should be doing but isn't.

In short, if you want transparency in your FBX exports then don't use texture atlases for the parts of the model that have transparency. Until this is fixed.

• @ader42 thanks for the clarification, definitely sounds like something only support will be able to help you with.

Way back in the days when Poser was a Mac only application, library file icons were saved in the resource fork of the pose or character files. When Poser was ported to Windows, these resource forks were extracted into separate .rsrc files with the images in PICT format within the resource file format. Frequently, external applications manipulating those files would leave the transparency mask in a state where one or other platform would not be able to see the library icons without extracting the mask PICT from the resource file, inverting it (black->white & white-> black) and then saving it back into the resource file.

Thankfully, now we have PNG icons, but Poser still has inherent, historical nonsense in its material room interface: "Transparency=0" is opaque and "Transparency=1" is invisible, yet the masks we plug into that Surface node input use 0 (black) for transparent and 1 (white) for opaque, WTH?

• I know what you mean about legacy aspects - I've used for since version 1 but only off and on.
    Back in the early days I used to prefer using LightWave but I always loved the fun tools like Poser , KPT and Bryce.

I want to use Poser more going forward as it's so capable (I have used it professionally at times) and I want to move into a more creative direction (away from pure programming).

The no transparency in atlases looks like an omission to be honest more than a bug.

The no materials exported with props though is definitely a bug. Even if the prop is attached to a figure and you export the figure there are no materials/textures for the prop exported.

• Well I went ahead and logged these issues as support requests but got no worthwhile response yet :(

• I also found another annoying issue with FBX export.

Sometimes we have figures with a morph group that has the same morph on one or more specific body parts. An example would be the morphs++ expressions such as “surprised”.

When the figure is exported and it is chosen to not bake all morphs (so the morphs can be animated in Unity for example) the morph gets exported multiple times so there are duplicate morph/blend-shape dials in Unity even if you made sure to only export one morph from Poser.

This is pretty annoying to say the least. I think there should maybe be an option to not duplicate morphs?

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.