How to properly set prop origin in Blender before importing to Poser?

• I have put together a bedroom with four walls and a floor in Blender, joined them as one object, and then used Blender's Set Origin tool, in various ways, to attempt a successful export. I have also centered the prop at the center of the global grid in Blender. I am exporting as a Wavefront OBJ, but when I bring it into Poser it is offset by about -300 units on the Z axis, -9 on the Y.
    I tried using the Joint Editor in Poser to remedy, but I don't know if that is the way to go about it.
    Any suggestions?

• Have you tried moving the origin in Poser?alt text
    [IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/28smv4i.jpg[/IMG]

• When you're importing your object, have you checked both "Centered" and "Place on floor" are enabled?
    Sorry if I answer to your question with another one... maybe even dumb.

• I will try these out and let you know, thank you.

• First, you don't need to group the objects in Blender. I have a whole house that is all separate components that I imported with no problems, and entirely ungrouped. Not even any parented components. Blender will export the entire scene unless you have 'export selected' ticked in the export panel.
    If the room is centred in Blender, and exported as a whole, it will arrive centred in Poser. Do NOT have the 'place on floor' and 'centred' boxes ticked on Poser import dialog. Ticking those boxes will have Poser attempt to override the .obj settings.
    Leaving them unticked should have the scene come in the same as it was in Blender.
    At least that's what happens for me, and I've been importing models for a while now.

• Yes the origin in Blender has no impact in poser which will calculate it's own origin on import. This can be moved after import, to say the edge of a door so that y-rot will open it rather than swivel it down the centre line.

• @thesourcewhisperer

@thesourcewhisperer said in How to properly set prop origin in Blender before importing to Poser?:

I have put together a bedroom with four walls and a floor in Blender, joined them as one object, and then used Blender's Set Origin tool, in various ways, to attempt a successful export. I have also centered the prop at the center of the global grid in Blender. I am exporting as a Wavefront OBJ, but when I bring it into Poser it is offset by about -300 units on the Z axis, -9 on the Y.
    I tried using the Joint Editor in Poser to remedy, but I don't know if that is the way to go about it.
    Any suggestions?

You should also remember that Poser and Blender do NOT share the same axis setup. In Blender the X axis is side to side, Y axis is back and forth and Z axis is up and down. In Poser, the X axis is still side to side, but the Y axis is up and down and the Z axis is back and forth.

• Poser's calculated origin for imported wavefront objects is the centroid (average of the vertex coordinate extremes in the three axes). As long as Centred (which will place the centroid at the Poser origin) and Place on floor (which will place the minimum Y vertex at ground level) are unchecked on import, the object will be imported "as is" (apart from inherent scaling, since the format is unitless, and Poser will assume Poser Units ~2.62128m), with its original origin coincident with the Poser scene's origin (0,0,0). If the scene origin is what is desired for the imported prop, you can just set that in the joint editor, unless Poser's calculated centroid is more useful, or, as was mentioned previously, you need the object to rotate about an obvious hinge axis, like a door.

• Poser Ambassadors

@anomalaus said in How to properly set prop origin in Blender before importing to Poser?:

centroid (average of the vertex coordinate extremes in the three axes).

Irrelevant, I know, but I am confident that the average of vertex coordinate extremes is the bounding box center or perhaps the Chebyshev center (depends on what you really do to measure it), and that the centroid may or may not align with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centroid

• @bagginsbill Yep, what I meant to say, of course. I try never to use the bounding boxes, as they're useless for assessing figure contact during animations, so the name didn't spring immediately to mind. And I'd just imported an object consisting of the (scaled) coordinates of the tycho2 survey's 370k (visible) stars, which, unsurprisingly, had its origin hundreds of units away from the scene origin.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.