Faking OpenGL Preview for SuperFly Cycles Shaders

• Having discovered the trick of using the Cycles Holdout node plugged into the PoserSurface root node transparency input to make bodyhandle actors automatically invisible during SuperFly renders, I thought I'd see if I could leverage that discovery into faking OpenGL previews of Cycles shaders, at least to the point where the preview shows something other than just matte black.

I had no success plugging the Holdout node, or it's inverted value into the Diffuse_Value and Specular_Value inputs, however.

Then I remembered that @bagginsbill 's Tricky Glass was using the LightPath node, and decided to give that a go. Here's what I have, so far:

0_1517640045083_Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 5.31.12 pm.png

The bright green diffuse is just so I can see what effect this has on the other, identical (except without the preview faking) materials, which are my variant (inspired by the aforementioned master) on an Aluminium (Yes, the non-US world has a second 'i' in that element's name) shader. The immediately previous attempt left out the Reflection Ray, and though the hipsMat material rendered as desired, all of the adjacent materials continued to reflect the unsuppressed green reflections.

So, comments? Suggestions for improvement?

This is really just a stop-gap measure until SMS can deliver proper OpenGL preview of Cycles materials, but also parallels the technique of plugging textures into the Diffuse_Colo(u)r and leaving Diffuse_Value set to zero, so you can still see something with the SreeD preview.

• Here's the guts of the Glossy Fresnel Metal compound node, if anyone's interested. Nothing new here:
    0_1517645771476_Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 5.58.40 pm.png
    Various metals, differing only by the appropriately selected metal colour (Eyedropper selected from comparative photographic samples):
    0_1517645899167_NiAg,Al,CuSn,Cu,CuZn.jpg and an IOR (complex equivalent, a la @bagginsbill ) between 10 (for less saturated colours) and 20 (for more saturated colours, which tends to intensify the saturation through multiple reflections).

And the OpenGL faked previews and raytrace renders:
    ***NSFW content***

click to show

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.