How to load new UV mapping for V4 in Poser 11?

• Banned

@ghostship said in How to load new UV mapping for V4 in Poser 11?:

@trepleen Poser does not do that. You'd have to open the mesh in a 3d application, create new UV mapping and then export the mesh. Not worth the time. Why do you need to change the UVs?

Creating new uv mapping is extremely fast & easy in most 3d applications now a days. It takes like 5 minutes tops since I've done it so many times.

I've deformed the mesh via Zbrush GOZ and I want to make the UV's perfect.

There has to be some way Poser 11 can do this. If DAZ Studio can do it, a free program, then Poser 11 should do it ten times easier and more efficiently.

• Poser Ambassadors

Why not just fix the UV map in Zbrush?

• @trepleen said in How to load new UV mapping for V4 in Poser 11?:

There has to be some way Poser 11 can do this. If DAZ Studio can do it, a free program, then Poser 11 should do it ten times easier and more efficiently.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to do this in Poser. It does not support alternate UV selection.

• Depends how your alternative UV is set up.
    Is vertex list the same but only the UV positions and island boundaries change?

• Banned

I spoke with shvrdavid and he said I can edit the two calls in a cr2 to load the new V4 obj with new UV mapping instead of it using the default V4 obj. If this works that is huge, I can make V4 look extremely good even after heavy deformation in Zbrush.

• @trepleen said in How to load new UV mapping for V4 in Poser 11?:

I spoke with shvrdavid and he said I can edit the two calls in a cr2 to load the new V4 obj with new UV mapping instead of it using the default V4 obj. If this works that is huge, I can make V4 look extremely good even after heavy deformation in Zbrush.

Yes you can swap the obj file and therefore get the new UVMap that is stored in the obj, however you might find she bends strangely and other morphs will probably be screwy. A UV Swapper was on my list of things to do in python after I finished EZCloth but like a lot of things in poser python It didn't seem possible as the necessary arrays were not editable ISTR

Amanda

• Banned

@amethystpendant said in How to load new UV mapping for V4 in Poser 11?:

@trepleen said in How to load new UV mapping for V4 in Poser 11?:

Yes you can swap the obj file and therefore get the new UVMap that is stored in the obj, however you might find she bends strangely and other morphs will probably be screwy. A UV Swapper was on my list of things to do in python after I finished EZCloth but like a lot of things in poser python It didn't seem possible as the necessary arrays were not editable ISTR

Amanda

I'm hoping that if it's the exact same OBJ just with a different UV map, I won't run into problems with strange bends and screwy morphs.

A UV swapper python script would be a dream come true. Smith Micro is still stuck in that "texture stretching is a normal part of 3d life" mindset, but it's not, lol. Texture stretching sucks! I want to fix it. It's 2018, we need to destroy texture stretching and texture UV anomalies once and for all.

• Poser Ambassadors

@trepleen

Yes you can adapt the 2 lines in the cr2 to point to a differently UV-Unwrapped obj file.
    But, and here comes the but. LOL.
    You can change the UV-Unwrap externally but the obj has to keep its vertex order. (or you loose all morphs)

Texture stretching is an "odd" thing.

If a figure/content creator "pre-paint"s" the texture for the most common bends? => There is no issue at all.
    But most do not care to pre-paint their textures for bends and release "as is".

There are multiple apps out there where you can re-paint the textures on posed figures. Blender is one of them.
    I always create the "basic default texture" in Krita and repaint on posed figures/items in Blender if required.

• Banned

@vilters said in How to load new UV mapping for V4 in Poser 11?:

@trepleen

Yes you can adapt the 2 lines in the cr2 to point to a differently UV-Unwrapped obj file.
    But, and here comes the but. LOL.
    You can change the UV-Unwrap externally but the obj has to keep its vertex order. (or you loose all morphs)

Texture stretching is an "odd" thing.

If a figure/content creator "pre-paint"s" the texture for the most common bends? => There is no issue at all.
    But most do not care to pre-paint their textures for bends and release "as is".

There are multiple apps out there where you can re-paint the textures on posed figures. Blender is one of them.
    I always create the "basic default texture" in Krita and repaint on posed figures/items in Blender if required.

You are very knowledgeable on this subject. I appreciate your help and everyone else's help who responded so far.

Hmm, now I need to come up with a workflow for all this.

1. Open Poser 11.
    2. Load V4
    3. Pose V4
    4. GOZ V4 to Zbrush, make changes and bring back the new morph into Poser.
    5. Export the OBJ of V4 where the textures have a problem. What would be the proper way to export an OBJ that keeps the proper scale, position & vertex order?
    6. Import the OBJ into 3D Studio Max or Blender.
    7. Fix the UV map.
    8. Make a copy of the default V4 OBJ of the body part you want to fix.
    9. Add the new UV map to this default V4 OBJ body part.
    10. Export it properly with the correct scale, position, etc.
    11. Point the CR2 files to the new OBJ.

My biggest concern is getting the right export settings for the OBJ out of 3d studio max, that has always been a nightmare.

• Poser Ambassadors

In my Poser2Blender2Poser series on YouTube, => Video1 and Video4, you will learn that you can NOT export rigged figures from Poser. (the obj file vertex order will always change)

I never change the UV-Map either. Why would I change a UV_map anyway? ? ?

The Solution:

You pre-shrink the texture at the bends (repaint and adapt the texture detail in the offending area's), and let the bends do their stretching back to normal size.

• Poser Ambassadors

I have a few versions of Antonia that I modified the UVs a bit for extreme morphs, and the morphs still work etc.
    I have a few versions of other figures as well, which I did the same way. (V3, and many of the SM figures)
    You can even go as far as re UV a figure to use another characters texture sets if you want too.

I did all the mods to the UVs in Blender, which allows you to retain the exact vertex order, which is a requirement.
    Load the obj directly from a directory, not a Poser export, and everything should still work afterwards if the same vertex count and order is retained.

It has been years since I used Zbrush, but I don't see why you can't do the same thing in Zbrush or any other modelling program for that matter.

• Poser Ambassadors

Just to add to this, there is a way to do multiple UVs in Poser. Well, sort of, anyway.

To do so, you have simply make 2 figures in one obj file.
    I know, sounds odd, but it works.
    When you are done, there are a few ways to change the UVs that are used.
    One is to make all the materials for the unused part of the figure transparent.

Basically you end up with an obj that has twice as many material areas, effectively doubling them.
    Each set, using different UV's

There are some issues with doing so, and that is one of the reasons I just make a new OBJ and be done with it.

• There are ways to do procedural, joint bend relative UV stretching in Poser's material room. The same process works for desaturating flexed joints, and works by having the region masked* joint bend parameter drive a blender node's (animated) input, where you mix white with the texture in proportion to the joint bend angle, or blend between saturated and de-saturated texture maps.

To deform the UV mapping of a joint bend, you need U and V region masks (or some primary colour separated, U & V combined mask, like a normal map) which define the U and V deformation intensity and region of operation, and blend them with black (for no UV deformation), modulated by the joint bend angle. The modulated U and V masks then plug into the U and V inputs of all of the limb texture, bump and specular maps. This is essentially dynamic UV weight mapping done in the material room.

• The region mask limits what areas of the UV map are affected by the joint bending, and can graduate the effect by tapered shading around the region's edges.

Just remembered that you probably want signed U and V deformations, so the masks should probably have 50% grey as their zero, with white for positive and black for negative, like grayscale bump maps.

• Banned

@vilters said in How to load new UV mapping for V4 in Poser 11?:

In my Poser2Blender2Poser series on YouTube, => Video1 and Video4, you will learn that you can NOT export rigged figures from Poser. (the obj file vertex order will always change)

I never change the UV-Map either. Why would I change a UV_map anyway? ? ?

The Solution:

You pre-shrink the texture at the bends (repaint and adapt the texture detail in the offending area's), and let the bends do their stretching back to normal size.

Is there anyway to get the original V4 OBJ files that the CR2 points to? That way I don't even have to export.

I do actually use your texture solution you're talking about, but in my case I need to re-do the UV's.

• Poser Ambassadors

@trepleen

You can use the free cr2editor to open the cr2 file.
    Free cr2editor

You will be looking for 2 lines similar to this one loading Tanya in this case. (one on top of the cr2, one about in the middle)

• figureResFile :Runtime:libraries:Character:People:Tanya.obj

This gives you the path where you can find your V4 obj file on your HD.
    You will be looking for the path to "blMilWom_v4b.obj" if my memory holds up.

The line can load either an obj or a obz file.
    (an obz file is a zipped-up obj file)

Navigate to your HD in your file manager; unzip the *.obz into *.obj if required, and load that original obj into Blender (or equivalent) => Use the exact import-export settings from my Video1 to maintain vertex order.

I use Blender, because it is free, and has some great UV-Sculpting tools that I use all the time to adapt UV-Unwraps where required.

For existing figures/content with existing textures I adapt the UV_Unwrap to minimise stretching.

When I create NEW figures/content, I go both ways:

• Either adapt the UV-Unwrap,
    • Or Pre-shrink or pre-expand the texture where bending will happen.

• If all you are doing is amending the UV offsets and not adding new islands etc then I think we can utilise PoserPython to load an alternate UV map, as it would simply be changing the location of the UV verts, sort of like ensuring the vert order is the same when making a morph, is it worth me having a look at that, you would need to have your modified obj that holds the uv map and select it when running the script., but it would mean you could have multiples without having to alter the cr2

Amanda