How do I make a material or pose to tint rather than replace an existing texture?

• I want to make some materials that would change a character's diffuse color without affecting its texture. I know it's possible—I've found some other people's free poses that tint a character's skin without replacing its texture, but the freebies don't have the colors I'd like. Anyone know what I need to do to make my own?

• Hi, for the material (pose files that set materials simply call the mat file) go into the material room, advanced and find the diffuse chip on the root node (either the main one or the alternate. This will usually be coloured white or slightly grey. Click on the colour which will open the colour picker and select the colour you want to tint the skin with, it doesn't need to be very strong to have an effect. Just do one area and test render until you get the right effect then use the same colour tint for all the skin areas.

0_1518338092411_0323a90d-3494-4467-96fa-fc36f0849140-image.png
    to
    0_1518338139888_ee6e7360-9f4d-456e-8299-cf56e99d446b-image.png
    Amanda

• @amethystpendant Thanks for the detailed explanation! I didn't explain myself well enough though—I've been experimenting with changing the Diffuse Color in the Simple Material Room, and while doing it the Advanced Room gives me more control, I still can't figure out how to do what I want.

I'd like to make a mat file to use on M4, V4, and K4 that would change their Diffuse Color without affecting the mat they have at the time. I've experimented with making both Single Material and Material Collection mats, but I'm not having any luck—if I make a mat file without a mat loaded on a model, using it on other models removes their mats, and if I make one with a mat file loaded, using it replaces the mat I want with the one I used.

But I know there must be some way to do this because of things like Atrion's Skin Tones that use pose files to change a model's diffuse without affecting its mat.

• Then I am guessing that Atrion's Skin Tones uses a script that will change each diffuse colour without altering the rest of the mat. this is complicated by not being able to say for sure which channel will be used, default diffuse or one of the alternates, and also whether SSS is involved. I would suggest the easiest thing would be to download @Snarlygribbly's EZSkin3 http://snarlygribbly.org/snarlyspace/ezskin.html and just use the defaults apart from The Colour on the HSV section
    0_1518370341721_fce7bc62-2fa8-4e18-9e1f-a6e16bc7a296-image.png
    . You haven't said which version of Poser you are using so i don't know whether you are talking about SuperFly or FireFly renders (Always useful to say what version of poser you are using and if you are talking about materials what renderer you are using)

Amanda

• Where can we find Atrion's Skin Tones? It may be possible to reverse engineer the set up. However, I must agree that a script is being used to swap out the tints for the figures.

• @amethystpendant I had been meaning to try EZSkin one of these days. I guess today's the day! :) Thanks for pointing it out!

@hborre Atrion's are here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/71235/view/11/Poser/Diffuse-changing-skin-tones

If I study the file, I may be able to tweak it for my needs. I just wanted to rule out doing it in Poser before I tried anything else.

• Oh, I forgot to say I'm using Poser 11 and I want to use this for Preview/Comic Book renders.

• Okay, just had a look and they are single change materials (they are in mcz format so you would need to ungzip them to edit. Thay are assuming that your diffuse is going out through the main channel. If you open one there are sets of colour codes, all you would need to do is find the values you want, search and replace and resave the file.

However I would suggest using EZSkin3 anyway, I would choose firefly if you are wanting to do preview renders.

Amanda

• That is exactly what I found also even though the mechanism isn't quite available for inspection. However, the material collection is easily editable and can be implemented to other figures with extensive changes. EZSkin 3, though, would give you better results because the app will incorporate other features, like SSS and Superfly settings, which will improve the renders.

• Thank you both!

• @amethystpendant if you use a gzip-aware text editor (BBEdit on macOS, or Notepad++ on Windows), you don't need to specifically unzip compressed files. Those editors allow you to view and edit gzip compressed files transparently.

• The way I change skin tone on freebies for Pauline using the a base texture is change the hue in Perfect Skin SSS Pro (EZSkin can do the same thing) and then save mc6 materials using Matwriter Panel 2014, available at the Hive.

• @anomalaus said in How do I make a material or pose to tint rather than replace an existing texture?:

@amethystpendant if you use a gzip-aware text editor (BBEdit on macOS, or Notepad++ on Windows), you don't need to specifically unzip compressed files. Those editors allow you to view and edit gzip compressed files transparently.

Thanks, didn't realise Notepad++ (my editor of choice!) would auto ungzip, good to know!

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.