Ambient Occlusion no longer working in Poser 11 firefly render?

• Banned

@vilters said in Ambient Occlusion no longer working in Poser 11 firefly render?:

Choose : It is either IDL or AO. => The "real thing" or the "fake".

=> We used to use AO "faking" before IDL was implemented.

Using both at the same time is creating trouble because you are adding a fake calculation to a real calculation.

And when enabling IDL in the render settings? FireFly now partially disables AO anyway.

Good practice is to remove ALL AO from ALL obj and lights when rendering with IDL. (A lot of old content still has AO in its nodes and they need to be cleaned out anyway)

And "AO" is disappearing completely as we are moving deeper and deeper into PBR render engines, textures and setups.

But I need more AO. In Poser Pro 2014 everything worked fine. I was able to use IDL and AO node where I needed it.

If anyone knows how to get the AO material node working with IDL in Poser 11, that would be greatly appreciated. I need more AO!

• @trepleen said in Ambient Occlusion no longer working in Poser 11 firefly render?:

But I need more AO. In Poser Pro 2014 everything worked fine. I was able to use IDL and AO node where I needed it.

If anyone knows how to get the AO material node working with IDL in Poser 11, that would be greatly appreciated. I need more AO!

I've got to ask, why do you need more AO is it because your lights are too bright?

• Banned

@amethystpendant said in Ambient Occlusion no longer working in Poser 11 firefly render?:

@trepleen said in Ambient Occlusion no longer working in Poser 11 firefly render?:

I've got to ask, why do you need more AO is it because your lights are too bright?

No, I've got the light strength measured perfectly with BBLightmeter.

Most of the time IDL does a great job with the default realistic AO it provides, but sometimes it doesn't work as well as I want it to, so I just add more with the AO node. The problem is in Poser 11, it's not working for some reason. Before I could just tick "ambient occlusion" in the material node, it would add it and just work, but now it doesn't.

Okay, when I disconnect the scatter node, the AO starts working again, that's weird.

• Poser Ambassadors

"Disconnect the scatter node" triggers the question, how are you connecting it?

There may be something that affects the outcome depending on how it's wired into the shader.

• Can you post an example of your material setup and your render settings? When I use AO, I use it on the lights so I haven't noticed this.

• Banned

@willdial said in Ambient Occlusion no longer working in Poser 11 firefly render?:

Can you post an example of your material setup and your render settings? When I use AO, I use it on the lights so I haven't noticed this.

Yes.

0_1518488561355_f4.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Both Diffuse and Specular Value are at 0.000 in your screengrab.

• Poser Ambassadors

Right so the reason the AO is doing nothing is because you deactivated (rightly so) the parts it is connected to.

You are not using the built-in diffuse node (at the top of the Poser Surface) because you intend to use the Scatter instead. Therefore trying to modulate the built-in diffuse when it is, in fact, completely turned off is predictably going to do nothing at all.

You need to use the AO node to modulate the Scatter node -- because THAT is where your shader is reacting to light and therefore where you want to suppress that light with AO.

• Poser Ambassadors

Before I show how to do this I'd like to point out two things:

• The Strength parameter on the AO node has NEVER worked and still does not work. The AO strength cannot be controlled by the AO node alone. You need to connect it to other things.

• The particular way I'm showing how to connect AO and control the strength is only one of dozens of ways. Exactly which way to choose and why could take up many pages and diagrams and probably would only serve to confuse so I won't show all that.

So here ya go

0_1518528521453_296d981f-3449-4cef-af1b-470756561161-image.png

At the bottom I placed a Math_Functions:Pow node. You can use this to control the AO strength. Change the Value_2 from 1 to 2 or 3 or 4 or 4.5 etc. The bigger is that number, the more the AO will affect the result.

In my render the AO is operating in the shoulder-arm crevice.

• Poser Ambassadors

See the difference with Pow 30.

0_1518529101318_c04b7c2d-7cc0-41c9-a78a-7a8ea1d5cc41-image.png

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.