A Plea to Content Developers

• By way of introduction I want to state two things: 1) I'm new to Poser, and 2) I spent my career working in the San Francisco Bay Area and half of that career was coding.

Here's my plea...

1. Please zip the files, and don't use rar or tar as Poser's 'Install from Zip' doesn't support other compression methods.
    2. Watch your spelling and for typos. For example, if you mistyle "runtime", your content won't end up in the right place.
    3. Adhere to the Poser 11 directory structure for the library. And, if a previous version of Poser used a slightly different structure, create a new .zip file with the latest Poser directory/library structure.
    4. Delete any OS specific files (e.g. .DS_Store) before zipping your file
    5. When naming your readme files, add something that identifies your content. (e.g. readme-v4-dress-by-xyz.txt) This will keep your readme.txt file from being overwritten by someone else's.

Just a simple plea from a newbie to the world of 3D and Poser.

:)

Brent

• Poser Ambassadors

I don't know where you got your content from, but those are the normal requirements for contentmakers.

• @Biscuits said in A Plea to Content Developers:

I don't know where you got your content from, but those are the normal requirements for contentmakers.

True for brokered content makers, anyway. Freebie content makers are free to do as they please even if it frustrates new users like the OP. Sadly.

• I partially concur with you, dbwalton, after many years spent using Poser content, I can say and suggest to never open and move anything directly from a zip file to your runtime(s).
    In my experience, with both, purchased and free items, you may end as you experienced and with free ones, there may be even no folders at all.

But... given your experience with coding and I can assume with computers in general, why you install something and you don't look at what you're installing in the first place?

Everyone has started as you, but honestly, I've never let an installer (if executable) or a zip do whatever they wanted without my control and surveillance.

On the other hand, on #5 I completely agree with you.

• @fonpaolo I think the better question should be, why would Smith Micro include an "Install from Zip" file without validating the contents of that file?

I was following instructions and hadn't learned at that point that one can manually install files by copying them. And, yes, that's what I do now.

• @dbwalton I have to admit that I never used that feature... and I started installing content seriously with Poser 4.
    I don't even know if there was the feature at that time.

I hope not to start the "usual old war", saying that I learned the lesson when I installed the first content installer from Daz.
    Even reading the readme file, I had to go hunting every single file and folder they (Daz) put in that installers and move them in the right location... mind you, at that time Poser's runtime was only a list of folders, no sub folders, no favorites... a nightmare. lol.

• @fonpaolo When Poser 1 first came out, I received an evaluation copy and played around with it a little. That was so long ago I can't even remember much about it except for I wasn't ready to work with it. So, my only real exposure to the way it is today is Poser 11.

• I think the OP probably got some stuff from a freebies site like ShareCG. Unlike sites like Renderosity or Hivewire (can I mention them here?) ShareCG doesn't really check your upload to make sure it's up to standard. Whatever you upload there is available in seconds for download.

• @rokketman Thanks for the heads-up. I did download some from sharecg. I now know better, but as previously mentioned I also know to not trust the install from zip file feature.

• @dbwalton Sites like ShareCG are great because they carry a lot of content, but you have to watch what you are doing. It's best to learn how to install your content manually, so that you know where everything is, and you can delete those extraneous files.

• I still unzip and install content manually. That way it's not scatted in my runtimes where brokers and merchants put it.

• @dbwalton said in A Plea to Content Developers:

@fonpaolo I think the better question should be, why would Smith Micro include an "Install from Zip" file without validating the contents of that file?

I think a better question would be why are you downloading questionable zips from strange sites? It is not SM's job to hold your hand while you browse the Internet.

• @dbwalton said in A Plea to Content Developers:

@fonpaolo When Poser 1 first came out, I received an evaluation copy and played around with it a little. That was so long ago I can't even remember much about it except for I wasn't ready to work with it. So, my only real exposure to the way it is today is Poser 11.

Yes, me too, but, it was at an early stage, promising, I played with it, but still too early.
    When Poser 4 went out, I started to play seriously with it.

• @rokketman said in A Plea to Content Developers:

@dbwalton Sites like ShareCG are great because they carry a lot of content, but you have to watch what you are doing. It's best to learn how to install your content manually, so that you know where everything is, and you can delete those extraneous files.

Even if, I know, there are a lot of interesting contents at ShareCG, I never ever thought to register and download something.
    Not really the site where I would register lightheartedly, I don't know if it's changed from the last time I talked about it, but at that time there were more worries than benefits.
    I'm only sorry that several interesting content is available only there, I asked if there were a possibility to upload them elsewhere, (Renderosity and so on) but I never had any answer.

• I wholeheartedly agree about the name of the readme file. Also please locate it in a consistent location like a folder named documentation.
    The other points I do not care much about.

• Likewise I didn't even know there was an install from zip, and even now I do I wouldn't use it as I have at least 30 different runtimes and I want to decide what goes where, also for a freebie, I don't think the donor should have to worry about it, if they are sharing something I need, then I'm happy to sort out issues with paths etc, if I'm payin through rendo DAZ etc then I expect a decent product.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.