HDRI's and ground planes ...

• Poser Ambassadors

Is there a way to extend the ground part of an HDR to the gound plane of a Hemisphere/Envosphere prop? Thereby getting continuity and ground shadows. If not, why not? This of course primarily applies to Superfly renders.

• Hey Boni

If you take an image that is made to fit on the inside of a sphere it will deform and look funky if you place it on the P11 construct/ground plane.

• Poser Ambassadors

Exactly my point. Hemishere props will do the same thing. There has to be a set up that will take the HDRI and create a dome AND ground seemlessly. Is it really that difficult? I don't know that mapping needed but surely there could be a work around. It would benefit so many users.

• I know BB posted something like that in the poser11 forum at RDNA, but that was some time ago and I don't remember what thread it was in.

• @Boni Is there a template for the construct/ground plane that comes with PP11?

• you need special software to stitch together an equirectangular image from photos. There might be some software that stitched together for a half-sphere.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship I'll look for that template for you. I think there is but not positive.

Here is what I did to help with the issue. I took bb's envirosphere added one of the free HDRI_SKIES images ... Added the round ground plane from PP11's primitives ... added a texture and a transparency mask to soften the edges. Not the ideal solution, but better.

• Poser Ambassadors

While hunting for templates ... I discovered something ... for the construct there IS a mask to blend a sky texture with the ground area. Totally like what I did, but built for the construct. It is in the textures for the sand and sky.

• Poser Ambassadors

Officially there is not template for the construct. But I believe a couple of our gurus here may have one or two. I hope they join in.

• Poser Ambassadors

I managed to create a ground plane that takes the same equirectangular images that the EnvSphere does.

I was working on software to make it adapt/change its UV mapping so that you can move the camera around and still get the right perspective. However, the math for that is tricky.

You see, the problem is that each UV point of the world as captured in the image corresponds not to a physical location on the ground, but rather to an angle in altitude and azimuth with respect to the viewer/camera.

As a result, the exact location of each UV coordinate DEPENDS on where you put the camera. In my initial try, the camera has to remain at or close to the center of the circular ground plane, otherwise the perspective is very odd.

Another approach to solving this problem would be to move the ground and dome with the camera, so that the camera is always, by definition, at the center of the setup.

Either way, though, you will not be ok with animating/moving the camera through space. Only rotating the camera in place would seem to look natural.

• Poser Ambassadors

The UV mapping is built much like the mappings created by sidewalk artists dabbling in trompe l'oeil. If you stand in the wrong place, it doesn't work.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here are some demonstration renders I did with my trompe l'oeil ground plane.

First, standing in the right spot, with the full dome and ground.

Now just the ground, while floating far from the center to look back at the whole thing.

Viewed from the other side.

Looking straight down, off center.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here are some more demos.

Here I'm just using the ground with "studio" lighting. This is not actually interesting unless you realize that the texture is the same equirectangular projection as used on the EnvSphere.

0_1466775547296_BB Studio Backlight.jpg

Some others:

• Thanks @bagginsbill!

@bopperthijs : the RDNA thread is here: http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?102946-The-New-Construct-tips-maps

On page 2 I attached a guide I'd made to show how the construct prop is mapped, and also a material room node set-up that can be used to apply the sky part of an equirectangular image intended for a dome to the construct's dome.

• Poser Ambassadors

@bagginsbill : Do you have your remapped ground plane available for those of us who would like to use it?

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.