Importing DAZ props into Poser - How to

• I had to fire up Studio to check (it's been a year) but Studio will export files as a Wavefront obj. which Poser can and does import. These props are static, however, so do not expect any moving parts to continue to move.

• @eclark1849 Ahhhh, with D3D's Duf tools, you don't even need to have DS installed. And, you can export morph object files as well.

I do DS conversions to Poser with it all the time, it's worth every penny I paid for it.

• @Glitterati3D for some reason it's extremely slow procedure for me. As in 1-2 hour for an object or morph. (I'm talking about hairs here, with 40-90Mb dsf, simple objects like furniture with up to 2-5Mb dsf probably should be much faster.)

• @phdubrov I found some of the hairs are ridiculously high poly counts. Like Neftis' Grace Updo, which is one of my favorite recent hair styles after conversion, is 1.8 million polygons! I thought the DSF tools were failing as well, until I let it go to completion and discovered the polygon count.

Frankly, a lot of the new DS store models by new vendors are high polygon count.!

Grace Updo converted to prop hair for Poser:
    0_1519476324123_LostinThought.jpg

• @Glitterati3D I've noticed high poly count hair too. Not only does it grind DS to a halt, it takes up huge amounts of video memory. I only have 4 GB and I don't need the hair taking up half of it.

Thanks for the tip on the DSF Toolbox. It looks like it could solve a few problems.

@katherine001 If you already have DAZ Studio and the DSON Importer plugin installed, you could manually create the Poser Companion Files.

• @willdial Yeah, some models, even made for Poser, grind my computer to a near halt. I just return those items to the store because I really can't use them, and I have a fairly beefy computer.

I can't use DS, so I have no idea how they function in it, but it's clear that the old saw about not wasting polygons is lost on the new generation of DS vendors.

I was really happy to find the DSF Toolbox, thanks to BobEnglish recommending it to me!

I have converted the Grace Updo, Pascale Hair and LolaSon hair recently using it. I'm not sure how AprilYSH manages it, but even her hair like Pascale is reasonable poly count.

• @Glitterati3D Should have been EnglishBob, not BobEnglish. Sorry!

• @Glitterati3D Well, Traci as you know, I'm no DS fan, but it was an option, so I told her. :)

• @Glitterati3D
    Thanks. It's the Sweet Temptations product, set of food objects.
    They are .duf files.
    While other DAZ props show up in the Poser Library, these don't.

• @katherine001 said in Importing DAZ props into Poser - How to:

@Glitterati3D
    Thanks. It's the Sweet Temptations product, set of food objects.
    They are .duf files.
    While other DAZ props show up in the Poser Library, these don't.

The newer versions of DAZ don't even store object files, so they are simply not going to work in Poser. You'll have to get them into Poser object files to load them there. The DSF Toolbox allows you to do that (create object files) without going through DS.

Though if you have DS, you can do a simple File>Export to export them as object files, then load them in Poser, add the textures and save them as props. You only have to do them once, and the textures will still work from DS to Poser, they just have to be saved to a Poser>Textures folder.

• Poser Ambassadors

What I do is temporarily load the DSON importer, then use D3D's DSON loader script.
    After the prop is loaded, I save it to the library or in a scene and remove DSON again.

Not all textures are loaded, so you have to add them manually.

Maybe the DSF toolbox is better at that.

0_1520374040300_meddinner2.png

This is the medieval dinner props set imported in Poser (although I did render it in Octane)

• @wimvdb said in Importing DAZ props into Poser - How to:

This is the medieval dinner props set imported in Poser (although I did render it in Octane)

That's a render?!?!?!?!? Hot Damn Wim. That looks like a photograph!

• Poser Ambassadors

@Miss-B said in Importing DAZ props into Poser - How to:

@wimvdb said in Importing DAZ props into Poser - How to:

That's a render?!?!?!?!? Hot Damn Wim. That looks like a photograph!

Yes, rendering in octane gives very good results. And render times to dream of - this was about 5 minutes

• @wimvdb WOW, very nice indeed.

• @Glitterati3D
    Thanks so much for your help.

Where is this DSF Toolbox?

• @Miss-B

I used the same prop set in my "The North Remembers" image:

Even though I rendered this in Octane I didn't do much material converting (there are SO MANY props in that scene!). After seeing Wim's render I think I better do that though. I was blown away when I saw his Octane material conversions. He's a master!

0_1520382592065_The North Remembers.jpg

• @katherine001 said in Importing DAZ props into Poser - How to:

@Glitterati3D
    Thanks so much for your help.

Where is this DSF Toolbox?

At DAZ. It's a Dimension3D product, you can do a vendor search.

• Hi there

I would personally export props from DS as OBJ or FBX which works beautifully in Poser

Usually I use OBJ or FBX,with OBJ you will need to retexture object or props which can be harder when props have multiple materials

With FBX is everything is easier but still you need to do few changes to bump etc maps which can be easy done

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @Deecey said in Importing DAZ props into Poser - How to:

@Miss-B

I used the same prop set in my "The North Remembers" image:

Even though I rendered this in Octane I didn't do much material converting (there are SO MANY props in that scene!). After seeing Wim's render I think I better do that though. I was blown away when I saw his Octane material conversions. He's a master!

That render's no slouch either Deecey. It just has more "mood" lighting as far as I can see. ~wink~

Wim is very good at material conversions, that's obvious. I just wish I could use one of those external render engines, but I've not gotten into them. Maybe one day - month - year - decade. ~lol~

• I really struggle getting some DAZ stuff into Poser; just when I think I've cracked it, a prop imports, is listed in the hierarchy but is invisible. I also get confused between all the differing folders - Architechture, Data etc.

I've used DSON, DSONLoader. Looking at DSFToolbox just seems to confuse me even more. Don't even get me started on trying to add textures LOL.