After a render Poser 11 stays loading/frozen for 45-60 seconds.

• Banned

I'm doing quick 60 second renders to make sure everything is good for my scene, but after every render Poser 11 hangs/loads/freezes for 45-60 seconds. Anyone know how to fix this?

• @trepleen Just a guess: you got a lot of large renders in the render cache? maybe that's slowing things down.

• Banned

Yes, I have the max render cache set to 1000.

I just emptied it and the problem went away. Thanks.

Well this sucks. Just because I want a render cache, I have to wait 45-60 seconds after a render is complete? sigh Hopefully the poser team sees this post. I should be able to have 1000 renders in the render cache and after a render finishes I should have immediate access to poser. They could thread the render cache creation process so it frees up Poser.

Hmm, I probably have to see at what render cache count Poser begins to choke after a render and set the count to that.

IMO, I don't think Poser Pro should be called PRO, there is nothing pro about it.

• @trepleen why do you need your last 1000 renders in your cache, don't you save them as you are going along?

• I'm wondering the same thing, as I dump my render cache every night when I dump my Windows Temp folder, and all other daily trash. It's the best way to help keep my laptop working efficiently. Otherwise it'll get bogged down, which is what you're experiencing with Poser. 1,000 renders? I'd think if you absolutely needed to save some, 100 would be enough.

• @trepleen
    Just curious. I'm with everyone else. Why do you need so many images in the render cache?

• @Miss-B I don't think I've even done a 1000 renders in all the years I've used Poser and had it since version 2.

• @eclark1849 I certainly have, but I wouldn't know which one to load if they were all in my cache, I doubt SM would consider someone setting their cache that high, why would you, maybe @trepleen can enlighten us.

• @trepleen My render cache is set to 10. I don't need to keep test renders and when I render a final image I export it as a TIFF file to my HD and that image gets deleted as it gets to #11.

• @trepleen You haven't actually answered anyone's question about why you feel you need so many render's in you cache. Couldn't you just export them to a folder somewhere? You'd have your renders and Poser wouldn't hang. BTW, since you seem to be the only known person in existence who feels the need for such a large render cache, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Poser team to fulfill your wish. :)

• Banned

I'm baffled you guys are asking me this.

Comparing new renders to previous renders, especially from a few weeks or days ago is important. You need to know if you're progressing in the right direction or if you need to revert to an older figure/scene. This applies heavily when trying to make the perfect face, body, breasts, butt, legs, etc.

Sure, I can export each render right? But Poser makes it easy to do quick compares between renders in the render cache. I would have to find another 3rd party application that lets me do that.

If the render cache was all normal image files and thumbnails, I could easily back up the folder, but all the files are encoded in a unique extension.

If you guys aren't making heavy use of the compare feature between renders and double checking your renders from a week ago, you could end up with a character who has an extremely ugly face or body part. Being able to check on your progress from a week or month ago is VERY valuable.

I end up doing about 50 comparison renders (each render finishing in under a minute) to make sure the nose on the character is perfection.

Based upon all your questions, I'm realizing why there are so many characters out there with horribly ugly faces, lol.

If I could set the render cache to 50,000 or 100,000, I would and specify a 1TB hard drive to saving every single render I ever make so I have access to a powerful comparison library of my work. THAT my friends is PRO.

• @trepleen said in After a render Poser 11 stays loading/frozen for 45-60 seconds.:

If I could set the render cache to 50,000 or 100,000, I would and specify a 1TB hard drive to saving every single render I ever make so I have access to a powerful comparison library of my work. THAT my friends is PRO.

Not even Maya has the ability to cache 50-100 thousand images. And that, my friend, IS a professional application that costs more than ten times what Poser does. (Oh wait that's right it changed to subscription only, my bad)

• @trepleen said in After a render Poser 11 stays loading/frozen for 45-60 seconds.:

If the render cache was all normal image files and thumbnails, I could easily back up the folder, but all the files are encoded in a unique extension.

.exr is an open standard for hi dynamic range images, you can open them in Blender, Photoshop and the latest dev build of Gimp. If all you are doing is comparing 1 image with another save them out as png files, much smaller, load one into gimp and others as layers and swish the opacity slider, you can then give them meaningful names, dispose of ones you have discarded the morph for.

Talk about making work for yourself, do you have a spreadsheet listing the time you did each render and tying it to a specific morph version?

• @amethystpendant

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It would be a HECK of a lot easier to save progressive morphs in the Parameters palette.

• @Deecey said in [After a render Poser 11 stays loading/frozen for 45-60 seconds.]

Not even Maya has the ability to cache 50-100 thousand images...

Hmm, in VUE you can set the renderstack to any size you want only limited by your storage device.

• @nagra_00_
    OK point taken. I don't use Vue so wasn't aware of that.

But trepleen said the reason he does this is to save progressions of his character development. That is all well and fine. But now I ask, what happens if he wants to undo some changes but not others. Let's say he likes the nose in image 3999, the mouth in image 4725, and the eyes in image 25000. The only way I can think of to recreate that combination is to dial morphs in and out.

In that case, though, a cache of 50-100 thousand images isn't necessary. I guess I'd just save a front, side, and 3/4 view of each stage ... everything else would be saved in the Parameters palette as a morph so that I could recover whatever else I need to recover. Then after I get a nice blend of morphs that I want to keep, I bake it down to a single morph with the "Spawn Full Body Morph" command.

• Sure, just wanted to mention that there are apps with virtually unlimited renderstacks.

The reason in VUE is quite a different one as it has powerful post processing features. Depending on your render settings this ranges from storing several render layers to tone mapping and even the possibility to change the color and intensity of every single light in your scene. With such a system it makes sense to have the ability to configure a big renderstack if needed. Its a completely different animal as Poser ;)

• Checking through 50 -100,000 images is going to consume far more time than the 60 seconds you're complaining about.

• Poser Team

On average, my saved exr files in the render cache directory are about 20 meg a pop.

So if I store 10,000 of them...
    If my math is right, that's somewhere around 200 gigabytes of files adding in storage losses....

How many people here have a computer that can process all of that, quickly....
    You can forget instantaneous....
    High end compute clusters, struggle with that much info at once.....

Food for thought............................................................................................

• Poser Ambassadors

The thing that bothers me as a developer is this:

The render cache is a private data structure, owned and operated by Poser. There is no reason to think any other application has modified those images during a render. Therefore, there is no logical reason to RELOAD THEM ALL after each render.

Poser should be loading ONE new image after the render, not any that it already loaded.

While I don't necessarily buy into trepleen's use case, the fact is that the implementation is pretty illogical.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.