Motion Blur? Er ... how?

• In the past, I have rendered images with Motion Blur. But all of a sudden, the "How" eludes me. I have read the manual, which has a lot on Motion Blur, but not exactly HOW to achieve it.

I am aware that it requires animation to a degree. But do I have to render out the animation AS an animation in order to get the blur?
    I have a simple 5-frame animation set up where one figure moves. And sure I can render that out, but it will take the rest of the day XD So before I start .. I need to know it's the right way of doing it. Render animation, save as individual images, and save the 5th?

Motion Blur Document does absolutely nothing, so I can't even tell if the blur will be too much or too little or ... just right.

Halp?

• @trekkiegrrrl Sadly, I can't help you out as I've never been able to get motion blur to work either. As for the manual, That was why I tried to start writing down tutorials in the forum earlier this year before being stopped. The manual does a great job of telling you what and Where, but falls down on the job in explaining HOW to do things.

• Yeah .. the manual. "Here's this and here's that and it can do neat things. But we'll not tell you HOW"

I have had motion blur work in the past. I know that XD But mmm ... HOW?
    Well. I'm rendering the last 2 frames of my 5-frame animation now to see if there's ANY blur present. If it works, at least I will have found the "how" again :)

You wrote tutorials and were stopped? That sounds kinda ... silly. Are your tutorials anywhere else?

• Poser Ambassadors

You will need to set up a motion sequence for whatever moves in the scene.

Render only the frame you want, with the motion blur box ticked in the render settings.

Poser will sort of 'tween from your chosen frame to a frame or two before, so choose a frame at least a few frames into the scene timeline. Bear in mind that Poser thinks in 30fps by default. On occasion, I have sped up my motion sequence or exaggerated the movement in order to get more motion blur.

• Poser Ambassadors

Don't forget that you also control the shutter open time (as a fraction of the per-frame time) using the camera shutter_open and shutter_close parameters.

However, I found this didn't actually work in SuperFly, just FireFly. In SuperFly, the interpolated motion was for the ENTIRE frame, which is just silly and lame and yet again makes me want to criticize the developers.

OMG

• @seachnasaigh said in Motion Blur? Er ... how?:

Render only the frame you want, with the motion blur box ticked in the render settings.

Poser will sort of 'tween from your chosen frame to a frame or two before, so choose a frame at least a few frames into the scene timeline. Bear in mind that Poser thinks in 30fps by default. On occasion, I have sped up my motion sequence or exaggerated the movement in order to get more motion blur.

That's what I thought. But no. However, rendering it as an animation seems to do the trick. I rendered the last two (of 5) frames, to see what it did, and lo and behold: Blur! :D (still waiting for the fifth frame, but the fourth has blur, so the fifth will, too, I'm sure L

But simply rendering Frame 5 did absolutely nothing at all.

• @bagginsbill said in Motion Blur? Er ... how?:

Don't forget that you also control the shutter open time (as a fraction of the per-frame time) using the camera shutter_open and shutter_close parameters.

However, I found this didn't actually work in SuperFly, just FireFly. In SuperFly, the interpolated motion was for the ENTIRE frame, which is just silly and lame and yet again makes me want to criticize the developers.

OMG

I saw the shutter-thing in the manual, and used that. But then again, I'm rendering with Superfly, so that likely won't make a difference then.

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl said in Motion Blur? Er ... how?:

@seachnasaigh said in Motion Blur? Er ... how?:

That's what I thought. But no. However, rendering it as an animation seems to do the trick. I rendered the last two (of 5) frames, to see what it did, and lo and behold: Blur! :D (still waiting for the fifth frame, but the fourth has blur, so the fifth will, too, I'm sure L

But simply rendering Frame 5 did absolutely nothing at all.

I think your frame 5 (i.e. last frame) is special. There's no movement to another position after that so nothing to blur.

In my test, I had an arm positioned in frame 1 and frame 2, no other key frames. I rendered frame 1 in SuperFly (as a normal render) and the blur was there for the entire motion from position 1 to 2.

• Please be aware that it can also happen that the wrong objects are blurred:
    https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2438/motion-blur-in-single-image-with-moving-camera-blurs-the-wrong-objects-superfly

I'm not sure if this is a SuperFly issue only.

• Oh this worked just as I wanted it to. This is frame 5 of the "animation" - frame 4 and 5 were identical btw, something that I don't quite understand - but as long as it works ...
    alt text
    The attacker is what I wanted to blur a little. And it did :)

• trekkiegrrrl,

Here's a quick mock up of your pose in action:

0_1520303649234_jump.jpg

It seems that a given frame is affected by the next one; frames #1 & #2 have little difference, and therefore #1 is not blurred much.
    #2 however, is definitely affected by #3, which in turn is blurred by #4. But #4 is not affected by #3, even tho there is a noticeable difference between them.

Notice how the blur on the various body parts can be controlled by varying the spacing between them from frame to frame. The position of the hip in #5 was kept close to the position in #4, so that the body and the head could be read, even though it is not correct as far as the actual jump would go.

Also interesting to note is that even though there is no frame #6 in this Poser scene, #5 it is still blurred.

Here's an overlay of the poses to show the spacing between the frames:

0_1520304241032_stacked.jpg

(rendered with FireFly, Poser 2014)

• Interesting. Thanks for testing and taking the time to explain it :)
    I just moved the attacker in an even line slightly upwards and forwards. I could have gotten more by doing it your way for sure :)

Odd that it's the following frame and not the previous that determines the amount of blur. But Poser has never been logical with those things. Still, I s'pose that's why I love it. It keeps surprising me ;)

Again, this was mostly a test to try out motion blurring in Superfly, I'm still mostly poking and prodding and figuring out what does which. And what works and won't work in Superfly :) I really like how it handles DoF, so I hoped Motion Blurring would be equally easy. And ..er .. it is, once rendered right XD

• @trekkiegrrrl
    You are welcome. And even though this experiment is in FierFly, maybe some of the same rules apply to SuperFly as well.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.